Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Would you put any limits on abortion if you were the doctor?

Would you say that it shouldn't be available after a particular stage of pregnancy?

I am not a doctor, and don't have any training or experience in dealing with pregnancies, so I can't answer that, anymore than I can say when brain surgery or an appendectomy might be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

ELM327 wrote: »
    If a woman wants an abortion and her GP agrees that's good enough for me.
    Not that it's any of my business of course, as it's a matter for that woman (and her partner if applicable) and the GP.

Would you put a limit on abortion by stating that it should not be available after a particular stage of pregnancy?

Would you allow abortion for every case of pregnancy, where the foetus has no health issues, or would you limit it to circumstances of a fatal foetal condition?

If you were the GP, what would you allow to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would you put a limit on abortion by stating that it should not be available after a particular stage of pregnancy?

Would you allow abortion for every case of pregnancy, where the foetus has no health issues, or would you limit it to circumstances of a fatal foetal condition?

I am not a doctor, if a woman wants a medical procedure and her GP allows it then who am I to object. It is nothing to do with me.

Abortion on demand, no term limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

What would you answer to these questions Horseburger?

I am not a doctor, and don't have any training or experience in dealing with pregnancies, so I can't answer that, anymore than I can say when brain surgery or an appendectomy might be needed.

But you've just said the doctor should have an input into deciding.

You don't need to be doctor, or have training in medicine, to have a view as to when you think abortion should or shouldn't be available during a pregnancy, and at what stages and circumstances you would permit the procedure to be carried out.

Would you state that abortion should be available in all cases of pregnancy, or just in cases of a fatal foetal condition?

Would you permit abortions in cases of a non fatal life limiting condition?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes, a doctor, a medical professional.
    You don't need to be doctor, or have training in medicine, to have a view as to when you think abortion should or shouldn't be available during a pregnancy, and at what stages and circumstances you would permit the procedure to be carried out.
    It helps to have a medical understanding of the processes of fetal growth and side effects of pregnancy.
    Would you state that abortion should be available in all cases of pregnancy, or just in cases of a fatal foetal condition?
    Yes.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This (and your last few posts) reads like an inquisition of some sort.
    The mental gymnastics you are pulling with your questionnaire is a clear attempt to get someone to trip up in their answers, so you can have some sort of "Aha! Gotcha" moment.

You are being extremely pedantic.
    Its pretty obvious to me what the person you are replying to meant, I don't understand why their response is being met with a litany of extra questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

If the political climate is in favour of more liberal abortion law, it will be because voters are more favourable to more liberal abortion law. These theoretical voters can simply change the 8th to whatever they want at that future time, it doesn't tie their hands in any way.

The only thing the No campaign seem to be trying to guard against is a future government with no mandate who change the law in defiance of public opinion. That certainly doesn't sound like any Irish politician I ever heard of, and our remedy would be the same in this case as in any other - to vote them out and put the law back the way we want it.
    Theoretical governments actually. Governments get elected on broad manifestos. I've voted for a candidate I dont see eye to eye with fully politically, because voting insists on compromising and ranking your priorities.

If Labour as a minority party in government has succeeded in changing the law to what they wanted to, it would be hard to argue that it was the will of the people when they were elected primarily in response to the economic crisis.

They Constitution is all about tying the hands of future governments, it insists they consult the people instead of making laws to suit their own agenda.

What a no vote actually does, apart from retaining the status quo, is insist the future governments directly consult the people on this issue.

You don't need to be doctor, or have training in medicine, to have a view as to when you think abortion should or shouldn't be available during a pregnancy,

Really?

Do you also imagine that you don't need to be a doctor to tell when someone should get brain surgery? What about my appendix, when should I be allowed to have that out? Do you prowl the wards reading people's charts, and telling their doctors that they are getting other medical procedures all wrong?

Or is it just pregnant women whose care you think you can butt into, as a layman, and tell them no, they can't have the treatment their doctor recommends? 14 years in jail for that one!

hey Horseburger!

care to answer:

• Advertisement

Really?

Do you also imagine that you don't need to be a doctor to tell when someone should get brain surgery? What about my appendix, when should I be allowed to have that out? Do you prowl the wards reading people's charts, and telling their doctors that they are getting other medical procedures all wrong?

Or is it just pregnant women whose care you think you can butt into, as a layman, and tell them no, they can't have the treatment their doctor recommends? 14 years in jail for that one!

I asked you what your opinion would be, not if you were qualified to give an expert opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Trasna1 wrote: »
    There may be a mood for change, but it is not true to say Yes on the 8th is the only option. Indeed repeal and replace was the preferred option into the CA suggested otherwise.

I'll focus on this part, because I think Zubeneschamali covers the rest very well.

What we are voting on is pretty much what the Assembly recommended. This is how the Assembly's recommendation is summarised on their website:
    57% of the Members recommended that Article 40.3.3 be replaced with a Constitutional provision explicitly authorising the Oireachtas to address termination of pregnancy, any rights of the unborn and any rights of the pregnant woman. In other words, it would be a matter for the Oireachtas to decide how to legislate on these issues.

If the referendum is carried, Article 40.3.3 will consist of the following: "Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy." There is, in effect no difference to what the Assembly recommended and what the Government is proposing.

bubblypop wrote: »
    thats gas, you actually asked the same question when the poster had answered. In fact you quoted their answer in your post!!

and what does that story have to do with this thread?

I asked in what categories of pregnancy (for want of a better phrase)

I asked if they'd be ok with an abortion of a healthy foetus which would otherwise grow and develop with no complication, or just fatal foetal conditions.

I also asked if they'd support provision of abortion in cases where there is a non fatal foetal condition.

I didn't get an answer that really, I don't think

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Theoretical governments actually. Governments get elected on broad manifestos. I've voted for a candidate I dont see eye to eye with fully politically, because voting insists on compromising and ranking your priorities.

If Labour as a minority party in government has succeeded in changing the law to what they wanted to, it would be hard to argue that it was the will of the people when they were elected primarily in response to the economic crisis.

They Constitution is all about tying the hands of future governments, it insists they consult the people instead of making laws to suit their own agenda.

What a no vote actually does, apart from retaining the status quo, is insist the future governments directly consult the people on this issue.

we are having a referendum. how is that not directly consulting the people?

baylah17 wrote: »
    You asked your question , it was answered and then you post this garbage with a further interrogation.
    i have answered all I answering from you, in my personal opinion you are trolling and flaming this thread in order to derail it or have it closed down, that just my opinion, but I will put you om ignore from here on in and advise others to do similarly.

In other words you won't address specifically the different cases you would allow for abortion.

Is it in all cases of pregnancy - of full health, fatal foetal condition, non fatal conditions?

I asked you what your opinion would be, not if you were qualified to give an expert opinion.

I have already told you that my opinion is that the patient should consult a qualified doctor, and the law should get out of the way of the doctor treating her.

I asked in what categories of pregnancy (for want of a better phrase)

I asked if they'd be ok with an abortion of a healthy foetus which would otherwise grow and develop with no complication, or just fatal foetal conditions.

I also asked if they'd support provision of abortion in cases where there is a non fatal foetal condition.

I didn't get an answer that really, I don't think

you also didn't answer those questions yourself

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I'll focus on this part, because I think Zubeneschamali covers the rest very well.

What we are voting on is pretty much what the Assembly recommended. This is how the Assembly's recommendation is summarised on their website:

If the referendum is carried, Article 40.3.3 will consist of the following: "Provision may be made by law for the regulation of termination of pregnancy." There is, in effect no difference to what the Assembly recommended and what the Government is proposing.

Typo in my post, so I agree with you on this. Repeal and replace was the option the political cohort were getting behind until the CA backed a more liberal recommendation. The liberal outcome from the CA was a huge surprise - the CA was only ever intended to give political cover to Enda Kenny to allow him to address the issue without him being seen to lead the issue.

When the CA came out with the liberal recommendation there was an attitude of surprise, but it was grasped upon as a way of settling this contentious political hot potato once and for all by the political class. I think the majority of politicians don't have strong feelings on the issue but are hunting around for what is popular in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If the political climate is in favour of more liberal abortion law, it will be because voters are more favourable to more liberal abortion law. These theoretical voters can simply change the 8th to whatever they want at that future time, it doesn't tie their hands in any way.

The only thing the No campaign seem to be trying to guard against is a future government with no mandate who change the law in defiance of public opinion. That certainly doesn't sound like any Irish politician I ever heard of, and our remedy would be the same in this case as in any other - to vote them out and put the law back the way we want it.

Exactly, and that makes the only reasons to vote NO being you want to tie future voters to a particular option and you want to preserve a wholly unworkable amendment in the Constitution.

Societal mores have changed many times through the ages. Who knows, but in 20 years, a future Oireachtas may well vote to ban abortion, based on future scientific knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Typo in my post, so I agree with you on this. Repeal and replace was the option the political cohort were getting behind until the CA backed a more liberal recommendation. The liberal outcome from the CA was a huge surprise - the CA was only ever intended to give political cover to Enda Kenny to allow him to address the issue without him being seen to lead the issue.

When the CA came out with the liberal recommendation there was an attitude of surprise, but it was grasped upon as a way of settling this contentious political hot potato once and for all by the political class. I think the majority of politicians don't have strong feelings on the issue but are hunting around for what is popular in their area.

i think you would be wrong on that.

perhaps you can answer the question i asked you earlier? Would you be happy for the 8th to be retained as it is?

• Advertisement

What would you answer to these questions Horseburger?

I have a difficulty with abortion in cases where there are no health issues with the foetus/child/ human foetus/ (whatever the term is depending on the perspective).

I think that abortion should be available in cases where the baby has a fatal condition and will not live long, or at all upon birth.

For example as outlined on the episode of Prime Time by Sarah McGuinness of Terminations for Medical Reasons, who spoke of her case where her baby had anencephaly, and there was no chance of life, or even for much length of time.

I also think it should be available in circumstances where there is a risk to life of the mother. It was outlined recently by another poster that if a pregnancy is confirmed it could lead to a condition that is fatal to the mother.

I understand this condition is not covered by current law due to there being a rare occurrence of cases (I think), but I think if there is any risk to the life of the mother, then if abortion is sought that it should be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

In other words you won't address specifically the different cases you would allow for abortion.

Is it in all cases of pregnancy - of full health, fatal foetal condition, non fatal conditions?

You can't just interrogate people and claim to be on the fence while arguing in a solely pro life direction. When asked what arguments on pro choice side you agree with, silence... If you're in fact pro life which I strongly suspect you are, don't pretend to be otherwise.

you also didn't answer those questions yourself

I had but I deleted the post accidentally and rewrote a reply. I had included the link to the prime time discussion that I referenced in post, but it isn't in the rewritten post

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have a difficulty with abortion in cases where there are no health issues with the foetus/child/ human foetus/ (whatever the term is depending on the perspective).

I think that abortion should be available in cases where the baby has a fatal condition and will not live long, or at all upon birth.

For example as outlined on the episode of Prime Time by Sarah McGuinness of Terminations for Medical Reasons, who spoke of her case where her baby had anencephaly, and there was no chance of life, or even for much length of time.

I also think it should be available in circumstances where there is a risk to life of the mother. It was outlined recently by another poster that if a pregnancy is confirmed it could lead to a condition that is fatal to the mother.

I understand this condition is not covered by current law due to there being a rare occurrence of cases (I think), but I think if there is any risk to the life of the mother, then if abortion is sought that it should be available.

If that is what you believe, you should vote to repeal the 8th, and subsequently lobby your local politicians in respect of restrictive abortion legislation.

what about risks to the health of the mother? what if there is a risk of long term injury, would you be ok with it in those circumstances?

pitifulgod wrote: »
    You can't just interrogate people and claim to be on the fence while arguing in a solely pro life direction. When asked what arguments on pro choice side you agree with, silence... If you're in fact pro life which I strongly suspect you are, don't pretend to be otherwise.

If you don't mind, I will make the observation, that people who were so sure, earlier today, that a foetus isn't human, are now reluctant to concede that they would permit abortion in stages of pregnancy when human status of the foetus is definite - not there was ever any logical doubt about the definitiveness of its humanity.

bubblypop wrote: »
    what about risks to the health of the mother? what if there is a risk of long term injury, would you be ok with it in those circumstances?

Yes, if there is a risk that the ill health could lead to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Enough of the vagueness, either you're pro-life or pro-choice HB, this has gone on far too long and you've been running in circles. Either out yourself or continue with your posting style until eventually the mask will slip and you'll out yourself down the line.

For someone who's apparently on the fence, you've posted nothing but pro-life material and when pushed on reasons to repeal you gave one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Typo in my post, so I agree with you on this. Repeal and replace was the option the political cohort were getting behind until the CA backed a more liberal recommendation. The liberal outcome from the CA was a huge surprise - the CA was only ever intended to give political cover to Enda Kenny to allow him to address the issue without him being seen to lead the issue..

I'm confused by this, because repeal and replace was what the CA recommended. They voted against outright removal/repeal/deletion of Article 40.3.3. This is how the ballots went:

Ballot 1
    Option A - Article 40.3.3 of the Constitution should be retained in full.
    Option B - Article 40.3.3 of the Constitution should not be retained in full.
    87% voted for Option B.

Ballot 2
    Option A - Article 40.3.3 should be replaced (i.e. deleted and not replaced).
    Option B - Article 40.3.3 should be amended or replaced.
    56% went for option B.

As for what it should be amended/replaced with, that was decided in Ballot 3
    Option A - Article 40.3.3° should be replaced with a constitutional provision that explicitly authorises the Oireachtas to legislate to address termination of pregnancy, any rights of the unborn and any rights of the pregnant woman.
    Option B - Article 40.3.3° should be replaced or amended with a constitutional provision that directly addresses termination of pregnancy, any rights of the unborn and any rights of the pregnant woman
    57% went for Option A.

So the assembly decided against the issue of termination of pregnancy being addressed directly in the constitution. You can call that liberal if you want (though I don't know why you would), but I call it common sense, because we were warned by the AG and others back in 1983 that this would cause trouble, and the last 35 years have proven them right.

• Advertisement

i think you would be wrong on that.

perhaps you can answer the question i asked you earlier? Would you be happy for the 8th to be retained as it is?

There are of course some politicians that have strong feelings on the issue, Brid Smith, ivana Bacik have campaigned for years on a pro choice platform. I'm thinking more of figures of the main political parties (labour aside whose stance has always been clear). One could argue that the views of these people have evolved, but it's more likely they've been happy to be pushed around but the prevailing political wind in their area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement