Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

Well then that brings us back round to the fundamental question as to when it is ok for one human person to decide to end the life of another human who hasn't given consent for their life to be ended, and would otherwise continue growth and development.

they do not actually have a life until birth.
    also, they may continue & grow, they may not, nothing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

"Contraceptives"

Ms Doherty said she also disagreed with the pro-choice view that women in Ireland did not have determination over their own bodies.

“I genuinely and firmly believe that women already have the determination over their own bodies and that’s called contraceptives, so make the decisions before you find yourself in a position where you’re using an abortion as a form of a contraceptive afterwards.”".

I really hate this this judgemental and holier-than-thou position. Contraceptives don't 100% prevent pregnancy and this kind of statement implies that women who fall pregnant should suffer the consequences. It's a position that lacks understanding of the realities and that lacks humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

He does and I'd be more inclined to listen to him, because it is him who is stating that repeal campaigners are denying the humanity of what is being aborted.

If you are so sure that humanity is being denied by repeal advocates, why isn't he?

Are you pro-life or on the fence? You seem to be really avoiding that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

bubblypop wrote: »
    they do not actually have a life until birth.
    also, they may continue & grow, they may not, nothing for sure.

Not living until the split second their born?

Are you pro-life or on the fence? You seem to be really avoiding that question.

Why do you want to know? It's not like you give a fu-ck.

• Advertisement

Why don't you want to tell? Is it because you came in here claiming to be on the fence, yet have been nothing but pro-life since that very post?

Nobody likes a liar, tut tut, nothing wrong with coming clean, it's just not many people will want to engage with someone who's got a hidden agenda.

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

In other words you can't answer what I asked you.

Running off crying to a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Well then that brings us back round to the fundamental question as to when it is ok for one human person to decide to end the life of another human who hasn't given consent for their life to be ended, and would otherwise continue growth and development.

ignoring the fact that a foetus is human but not ahuman :rolleyes:

when is it ok for the rights of human matter (which has the potential to become a human being) which is wholly dependent on it's host to interfere with the human rights afforded to the host/human being?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Because you initially said you were but show no indication that you really are on the fence..

In other words you can't answer what I asked you.

Running off crying to a moderator.

You can't answer what we've asked you...

PLOT TWIST

• Advertisement

horseburger, what's your opinion on the 8th amendment and how it impacts women, as opposed to your opinion on abortion?

Obviously impacts on women, That is why is mentioned that abortion should be available in cases of a risk to life of the mother that are not currently covered by legislation.

dudara wrote: »
    I really hate this this judgemental and holier-than-thou position. Contraceptives don't 100% prevent pregnancy and this kind of statement implies that women who fall pregnant should suffer the consequences. It's a position that lacks understanding of the realities and that lacks humanity.

To be honest, although views like that should obviously be completely disregarded as they are ridiculously uninformed and are subtly shaming those who contraception has failed, they're always gonna be there. In time though I hope people will disregard them as we have, as we all know and understand as mature adults with fully functioning brains capable of interpreting logic, that no contraception is 100% :)

You can't answer what we've asked you...

PLOT TWIST

I answered what I was asked as to what I think should be available.

Obviously impacts on women, That is why is mentioned that abortion should be available in cases of a risk to life of the mother that are not currently covered by legislation.

But I didn't ask about abortion, I asked about the 8th amendment, you know, the thing we're actually voting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

And disability of the woman?

Dude, I wasn't endorsing what Regina Doherty said. I was criticizing her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Genuine question. Why is access to abortion considered a health care issue by repeal advocates?

And disability of the woman?

what do you reckon yourself?

To be honest, although views like that should obviously be completely disregarded as they are ridiculously uninformed and are subtly shaming those who contraception has failed, they're always gonna be there. In time though I hope people will disregard them as we have, as we all know and understand as mature adults with fully functioning brains capable of interpreting logic, that no contraception is 100% :)

As human beings, we all have a natural tendency to be judgemental or feel superior. We all have it to some degree. It's hard to step back from our inbuilt tendencies to judge others. When you have a very black and white view of the world, you fail to see the greys.

Genuine question. Why is access to abortion considered a health care issue by repeal advocates?

I started off by asking genuine questions too!:)

• Advertisement

Not Dude, dudara

Not Dude, dudara

Could you at least edit your post to clearly indicate that the text you quoted is from the newspaper I referenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

lol just answer the question

It's not relevant to me - I am completely pro-choice.

because due to the 8th amendment pregnant women are excluded from the HSE policy on consent, they don't have a right to consent to or refuse treatment during their pregnancy, there have been instances where the HSE has taken a case to the courts to try and compel a woman to undergo treatment she doesn't want.
    For context all other patients can refuse treatment at any time, cancer patients can at any time refuse medical intervention even if it is advised by doctors and will prolong their lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

So, in the case where contraception fails, and the mother can't (or doesn't want to) have a child, what are the options there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

because threats to the health of a pregnant woman are not the basis for an abortion. a woman could have a condition that leaves her crippled but she still wont be allowed have an abortion. a pregnant woman with cancer will have all cancer treatment stopped in case it hurts the child. stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Read the numerous reports into the death of Savita Hallapanaver for your answer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I reckon you are trying hard to get yourself thread banned so that you can paint the thread, the pro-choice posters or maybe the mods in an unflattering light somewhere.

"I was all, like, neutral! Just askin' questions!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Because traveling to procure an abortion or taking abortion pills at home is unsafe for the woman in question. She has no medical supervision or aftercare while recovering and its extremely dangerous for her health.

And as roughly 4k women avail of abortion services each year, that's a huge amount of women that we're letting down by denying them healthcare.

This isn't even touching on the women with wanted pregnancies having crisis's that require terminations, only to be denied on the grounds of a very faint fetal heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement