Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Genuine question. Why is access to abortion considered a health care issue by repeal advocates?

One of the difficulties with travelling abroad is the frequent lack of a post-mortem.

Thus it is not possible in a number of cases to pinpoint the diagnosis and thus give appropriate counselling for a future pregnancy.

The most commonly used referral hospital is in Liverpool where a sensitive caring service is provided with excellent feedback from
    patients.

Just travelling on a ferry/plane for any medical procedure isn't as good as doing it locally if the same skills/care are available

stress, care in the future, additional cost, break in the chain of care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I started off by asking genuine questions too!:)

That's debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm so sick of people (well, pro-lifers) going on about how women should just use contraception. Is it so hard to grasp that it doesn't always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

....... wrote: »

Someday the AG's office is going to be obliged to prosecute someone for this, and they'll pick a slam dunk case, and the woman will get 10 years in jail.

As bertie would say when he wasn't banned: Don't vote No unless you are prepared to see a woman go to jail for 10 years for buying pills on the internet.

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm so sick of people (well, pro-lifers) going on about how women should just use contraception. Is it so hard to grasp that it doesn't always work.

Shut up and take this contraceptive pill I'm going to give you that isn't 100% effective.

While we're at it I'll say that it was your choice to take that pill and it's your own fault you're pregnant.

Wait you want an abortion? How dare you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

gctest50 wrote: »
    this lad  tearing down posters and assaulting the camera guy  who was giving him a chance to air his views

Interesting it's a poster without graphic medical pictures

F9qhXQU.png

aRAigU0.png
    I condemn the actions of this guy,, I condemn anyone removing posters or engaging in any sort of vandalism- just a pity quite a few on the repeal side can,t do likewise .
    448463.jpg
    448464.jpg
    https://twitter.com/brianymoran/status/985984854708940800

There's a difference, person in the first video was removing a poster that was legally placed there.

The pro-life posters are in breach of an act and are therefore illegal, fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What are you on about? People have come out who are pro-repeal and said that tearing down posters is wrong. There are bad eggs on both sides of the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Because traveling to procure an abortion or taking abortion pills at home is unsafe for the woman in question. She has no medical supervision or aftercare while recovering and its extremely dangerous for her health.

And as roughly 4k women avail of abortion services each year, that's a huge amount of women that we're letting down by denying them healthcare.

So it's only a healthcare issue by virtue of having an abortion in the first place?
    This isn't even touching on the women with wanted pregnancies having crisis's that require terminations, only to be denied on the grounds of a very faint fetal heartbeat.

But did we not legislate for abortion in cases where the mother's life is in danger?

I'm only asking here btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So it's only a healthcare issue by virtue of having an abortion in the first place?

But did we not legislate for abortion in cases where the mother's life is in danger?

what about where her health is in danger?

what about where her health is in danger?

That's what I'm asking...

well then the woman is fecked.

I condemn the actions of this guy,,

I condemn anyone removing posters or engaging in any sort of vandalism- just a pity quite a few on the repeal side can,t do likewise .

448463.jpg

We can do without the graphical medical images, we all know what a fetus looks like

Unnecessary pictures like those could be very upsetting for those women who have miscarried ( naturally )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

no we can't have legislation that contravenes the constitution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We can do without the graphical medical images, we all know what a fetus looks like

Unnecessary pictures like those could be very upsetting for those women who have miscarried ( naturally )

They could also be upsetting for women who've had abortions (not me, personally) just because she's had an abortion doesn't maker her feelings less valid.

There's a difference, person in the first video was removing a poster that was legally placed there.

The pro-life posters are in breach of an act and are therefore illegal, fair game.
    "" The pro-life posters are in breach of an act and are therefore illegal ""
    What act are they in breach of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

FYI, there have a few posters who have started off on that track when it's become clear it just a tactic to wind people up or disrupt the thread. As such, it's hard for the rest of us to separate the genuine posters with questions from the messers, especially when they're new to the thread.

Can I suggest that you expand a little bit more on your own thoughts and position first to help the rest of us understand where you're coming from. You'll probably get better answers too because it'll give us some context as to where your question is coming from.

They continue to put them on ESB poles - S19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997.

EDIT - It's also an offence not to display the name of the printer and publisher on any posters relating to an election or referendum.

Hence why tearing down the pro-life posters were fair game, the pro-choice poster was legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Perhaps Blanch.

There is knock on off placing the responsibility of legislation on public representatives though, in the sense that they very often vote with regard to their political career and not the issue being voted on.

For example Regina Doherty recently saying, that in 2014 she was ignorant of the issues regarding abortion in Ireland.

But she said that the time that she really believed what she had said.

She pretty much made a dismissive comment saying 'women who don't want to get preggers have contraceptives available to them so they should stop whinging'.

In the Irish Times item from 2014, Mary Minihan wrote:

"Speaking to radio station LMFM, Ms Doherty said she understood why political leaders were reluctant to act and said clear legislation would have to replace article 40.3.3 if it was removed. “I’m not sure that the current situation does satisfy anybody. It certainly doesn’t satisfy the pro-choice people, and that’s not a movement that I would be in sync with,” she said.
    “Not everybody lives in the black or the white of pro-life or pro-choice ideologies, because there are lots of situations in the middle of the grey areas that when those situations visit people’s houses then they have to make very difficult decisions.”".

"Contraceptives"

Ms Doherty said she also disagreed with the pro-choice view that women in Ireland did not have determination over their own bodies.

“I genuinely and firmly believe that women already have the determination over their own bodies and that’s called contraceptives, so make the decisions before you find yourself in a position where you’re using an abortion as a form of a contraceptive afterwards.”".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-td-backs-colleague-s-call-for-abortion-referendum-1.1912286

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/repeal-campaigners-will-not-accept-a-no-vote-says-minister-1.3430112?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fpolitics%2Frepeal-campaigners-will-not-accept-a-no-vote-says-minister-1.3430112

That is a complete red herring and something that can be fixed by electing better politicians.

You have made it clear that you favour abortions in certain very limited circumstances that are not permitted by the 8th.

The only honest and decent approach is therefore for you to vote to repeal the 8th and lobby politicians for the abortion regimes you favour and vote for politicians who share your views so that they can be enacted.

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »

FYI, there have a few posters who have started off on that track when it's become clear it just a tactic to wind people up or disrupt the thread...........

Should make a list of some of the tactics seen and add to it :

eg:

* Get thread-banned and claim it was only innocent questions and there is no justice

* Pick late at night when people are tired or maybe had a drink or two at home, try antagonise them and get them thread-banned

* Make slightly vague statement that is sure to be picked up on, then whine they're being attacked and it's not the main point of the thread and waaaaaa

etc

NuMarvel wrote: »
    FYI, there have a few posters who have started off on that track when it's become clear it just a tactic to wind people up or disrupt the thread. As such, it's hard for the rest of us to separate the genuine posters with questions from the messers, especially when they're new to the thread.

Can I suggest that you expand a little bit more on your own thoughts and position first to help the rest of us understand where you're coming from. You'll probably get better answers too because it'll give us some context as to where your question is coming from.

My understanding was that that after Savita Halappanavar's inquest we have the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act which is suppose to st out the circumstances when a woman can have an abortion. Does this not mitigate the health risk argument that is being put forward especially when the risk is as a result of the abortion rather than the pregnancy? In summary, what will repeal achieve that the Act doesn't if the argument for repeal is a healthcare issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

My understanding was that that after Savita Halappanavar's inquest we have the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act which is suppose to st out the circumstances when a woman can have an abortion. Does this not mitigate the health risk argument that is being put forward especially when the risk is as a result of the abortion rather than the pregnancy? In summary, what will repeal achieve that the Act doesn't if the argument for repeal is a healthcare issue?

Did you read any of the other responses to your question about how it's a healthcare issue?

EDIT:

I've collected them all for you, it's not just about abortion:
    because due to the 8th amendment pregnant women are excluded from the HSE policy on consent, they don't have a right to consent to or refuse treatment during their pregnancy, there have been instances where the HSE has taken a case to the courts to try and compel a woman to undergo treatment she doesn't want.
    For context all other patients can refuse treatment at any time, cancer patients can at any time refuse medical intervention even if it is advised by doctors and will prolong their lives
    because threats to the health of a pregnant woman are not the basis for an abortion. a woman could have a condition that leaves her crippled but she still wont be allowed have an abortion. a pregnant woman with cancer will have all cancer treatment stopped in case it hurts the child. stuff like that.
    baylah17 wrote: »
    Read the numerous reports into the death of Savita Hallapanaver for your answer
    Because traveling to procure an abortion or taking abortion pills at home is unsafe for the woman in question. She has no medical supervision or aftercare while recovering and its extremely dangerous for her health.

And as roughly 4k women avail of abortion services each year, that's a huge amount of women that we're letting down by denying them healthcare.

This isn't even touching on the women with wanted pregnancies having crisis's that require terminations, only to be denied on the grounds of a very faint fetal heartbeat.
    ....... wrote: »
    Just travelling on a ferry/plane for any medical procedure isn't as good as doing it locally if the same skills/care are available

stress, care in the future, additional cost, break in the chain of care

would you like to be a woman depending on that? and there is more to repeal than a healthcare issue.

why dont you tell us what your opinion of all this is? To establish some bona fides if nothing else.

I would imagine most women prefer to be actually not dying before they are treated medically when they need treatment!

Did you read any of the other responses to your question about how it's a healthcare issue?

EDIT:

I've collected them all for you, it's not just about abortion:

I read those but what I'm asking is, does the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act 2013 not legislate for those type of scenarios already?

They continue to put them on ESB poles - S19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997.

EDIT - It's also an offence not to display the name of the printer and publisher on any posters relating to an election or referendum.

Hence why tearing down the pro-life posters were fair game, the pro-choice poster was legal.
    Most of the no posters have either " love both " or " save the 8th " on em stating who they re from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

As an example, if a woman has a missed miscarriage, and the fetus still has a heartbeat, but only slight one, nothing can be done to help her, bar tell her to wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement