Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

dudara wrote: »
    What about a woman that doesn’t want to be pregnant, because she is in education, doesn’t have enough money to support, doesn’t want to stop her career development, doesn’t want her husband to beat her etc. Can you write a piece of legislation that covers all the reasons a woman may not want to be pregnant.

Legislating for minority cases is downright daft. It’s poor lawmaking

Is that what repealing the 8th essentially doing???

Surely it's a minority of people who require/want an abortion let alone cases where there is a risk to health/life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, repealing the 8th will still mean abortion is illegal, so the government will have to draw up legislation to make it legal afterwards.

dudara wrote: »
    What about a woman that doesn’t want to be pregnant, because she is in education, doesn’t have enough money to support, doesn’t want to stop her career development, doesn’t want her husband to beat her etc. Can you write a piece of legislation that covers all the reasons a woman may not want to be pregnant.

Legislating for minority cases is downright daft. It’s poor lawmaking

Let me ask you, if the woman wasn't raped, in a bad relationship, completed her education and was well off? Would you still be in favour of abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Let me ask you, if the woman wasn't raped, in a bad relationship, completed her education and was well off? Would you still be in favour of abortion?

Yup.

Yup.

So in that case you're giving an exceptional case to prove a rule you don't actually want to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yes. I don't want children. I never want children. I am not allowed to get my tubes tied in case I "change my mind". No contraception is 100% effective. The very thought of having children makes me feel sick, due to personal reasons. Carrying a child to term and giving it away would probably end up being the death of me. If I fell pregnant now, one way or another, I will not stay pregnant.

Making abortion illegal does not stop abortions.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Would I be in favour of women deciding if they wish to be pregnant?

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

seamus wrote: »
    No, because those running the pro life campaign believe that raped and pregnant children should be forced to carry to term and sick mothers required to risk their lives to give a foetus a chance instead.

It's a bit more than that, in cases of Fatal Fetal Abnormality, some want to check women into a peri-natal hospice

https://youtu.be/FXTEt3KSrYw?t=537

So if that was the way, a woman in Ireland would go through delivering a child who may only live for minutes ( if at all)

Going rate in a hospice maybe 900 euro/week

( I can't see it being much less than care for the older person

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/olderpeople/nhss/cost-of-care-private-and-voluntary-nursing-homes.pdf )

I'd reckon once established they'd seek money from health insurance under the 100 days thing :

In-patient mental health treatment for up to 100 days.

https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/myvhi/TOBFPL1%20V29%20Mar18.pdf

All sounds very familiar, not so many septic tanks around these days though

Yes. I don't want children. I never want children. I am not allowed to get my tubes tied in case I "change my mind". No contraception is 100% effective. The very thought of having children makes me feel sick, due to personal reasons. Carrying a child to term and giving it away would probably end up being the death of me. If I fell pregnant now, one way or another, I will not stay pregnant.

Making abortion illegal does not stop abortions.

So in that case, you consider it a form of contraception?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Is that what repealing the 8th essentially doing???

Surely it's a minority of people who require/want an abortion let alone cases where there is a risk to health/life?

In the grand scheme of things, the number of women who will ever want an abortion (for whatever reason) is a minority. Thankfully most pregnancies are welcomed and treated with joy. Unfortunately there are a mintory of cases where it is not wanted, or needs to be terminated for medical reasons. We need to acknowledge that these cases exist and allow choice. It’s far too complex to legislate for by exception

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Ticklers what's your argument for keeping the 8th, why make the argument to keep it and add more amendments?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would be in favour of her having a choice and choosing her own destiny. Whatever that may be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

So in that case you're giving an exceptional case to prove a rule you don't actually want to defend.

This nugget has been coming up frequently ever since it dawned on pro-life people that getting people to say "I'm in favour of abortion on request" isn't some kind of checkmate. If you're against "no access to abortion" and in favour of "access to abortion without discrimination as to the reason", then you somehow aren't allowed to talk about the people who the majority of people agree should be allowed access. It's a nonsense, nothing argument.

And you're no bertie or horseburger btw, they kept up a bit of plausible deniability for a couple pages at least. Although the shorter posts are appreciated fam.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Would I be in favour of women deciding if they wish to be pregnant?

Absolutely.

Women already have that choice, repealing the 8th is not going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Has there been any polls in the last week or so regarding this? Can't seem to find any. :o

Can you explain this comment

No.

I am actively taking contraception. In fact, myself and my partner use three forms if you must know. This is in order to not have to have an abortion. However, being realistic, not even that is 100% effective.

How do they have that choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Safety net

why do we have them on scaffold ? shouldn't be dropping stuff

xpSuR2p.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Has there been any polls in the last week or so regarding this? Can't seem to find any. :o

Nothing published lately, but I saw a journalist say she was surveyed by IPSOS Mrbi yesterday, so there might be one coming up in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Contraception isn't 100% effective, a woman using the pill or other contraceptives who falls pregnant due to the contraceptive failing does not choose to be pregnant, don't be so narrow minded.

This nugget has been coming up frequently ever since it dawned on pro-life people that getting people to say "I'm in favour of abortion on request" isn't some kind of checkmate. If you're against "no access to abortion" and in favour of "access to abortion without discrimination as to the reason", then you somehow aren't allowed to talk about the people who the majority of people agree should be allowed access. It's a nonsense, nothing argument.

And you're no bertie or horseburger btw, they kept up a bit of plausible deniability for a couple pages at least. Although the shorter posts are appreciated fam.

It's not a checkmate, I just don't see the reason for the healthcare facade. It just clouds and confuses the issue further. If your in favour of abortion on request then just say so instead of taking the imaginary victim who has been raped or terminally ill and say "this is all abortions".

Rjd2 wrote: »

I'm not sure but the poll on this thread is being reset next week if that's any use?

explain how please?

It's not a checkmate, I just don't see the reason for the healthcare facade. It just clouds and confuses the issue further. If your in favour of abortion on request then just say so instead of taking the imaginary victim who has been raped or terminally ill and say "this is all abortions".

You can't do both? People can have more than one reason. Reading something like In Her Shoes can really make you realise the impact the 8th has.

There is no facade we're voting on the 8th amendment not abortion.

The proposed legislation is just proposed it hasn't passed the government could fall before it gets a chance, the pro life lobby can lobby for change. The 8th has to go because its a farce

bubblypop wrote: »
    explain how please?

Birds and bees.

the 8th amendment is not about abortion.
    if it is repealed then leglisation will be enacted to cover abortion.
    repeal is about so much more, maybe if you actually read the issues facing womens healthcare you might see that.

the 8th should be repealed even if abortion was not an option after.

• Advertisement

Birds and bees.

that is not an explanation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement