Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

So how will repeal address the health care issues mentioned?

do you understand at all what the 8th amendment says??
    The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

so any medical treatment that the mother requires, has to take into consideration the foetus ( at any gestation)
    eg, cancer treatment etc etc
    xrays, mri scans, anything the woman needs cannot affect the foetus.
    does this explain it any more for you??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

It's like a revolving door here almost like shift work, one after the other "I'm on the fence here just asking questions guys!" And then reveals (both intentionally and unintentionally) themselves to be very clearly pro-life just stirring the pot.

As I'm obviously Sherlock Holmes here who wants to be my Watson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Believe what you will but this is the first time I've participated in a conversation in this detail, on on this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Fair enough not to read the whole thread, it's very long and busy and repetitive. Could you please read the sections to which you're actively contributing though?
    That legislation would be impossible because it would contradict the constitution, specifically the 8th amendment. The 8th amendment impacts all maternity care because of the way it's worded, which is very awkward for the PLC. The 8th amendment needs to be repealed in order to draft the legislation you're in favour of.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    the government cannot enact legislation that is unconstitutional.
    therefore the 8th amendment has to be repealed.

This:

is liking asking somebody why they're clearing all that debris and bushes from the land on which they claim to want to build a house, sure clearing it isn't building a house.

Maybe I have too much faith in people but I refuse to believe you're genuinely that confused.

It's like a revolving door here almost like shift work, one after the other "I'm on the fence here just asking questions guys!" And then reveals (both intentionally and unintentionally) themselves to be very clearly pro-life just stirring the pot.

As I'm obviously Sherlock Holmes here who wants to be my Watson?

I didn't realise that pro lifers owned this thread.

• Advertisement

maybe i am being naive here!!
    I tend to believe these posters that come on, then as time goes on I am not so sure.......

Fair enough not to read the whole thread, it's very long and busy and repetitive. Could you please read the sections to which you're actively contributing though?

This:

is liking asking somebody why they're clearing all that debris and bushes from the land on which they claim to want to build a house, sure clearing it isn't building a house.

Maybe I have too much faith in people but I refuse to believe you're genuinely that confused.

But there is no guarantee that you will get the legislation you're in favour of after the 8th has been repealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

a bit of humour in these dark times

30708873_830892253765520_4976332113407115264_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0ebaea9b3f1443f8facac5eef10fa199&oe=5B74EBB9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

But there is no guarantee that you will get the legislation you're in favour of after the 8th has been repealed.

No but the 8th needs to go anyway, as has been explain.

There is no guarantee, but with the 8th in place there is no possibility. Legislation has been proposed and I've no reason to believe it won't be the legislation put forward. It's not my ideal legislation in any case.

And also what's your point exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

No there isn't. That doesn't matter.
    I support a repeal even if it leads to no abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,538 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tickers, you do realise that is, a copy and paste line, that's been overused.
    You, like all the rest of us citizens of a democratic republic, go to our elected representatives and make our views known. That how legislation is swayed.

but thats another issue!
    the 8th has to go, anything else is anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

bubblypop wrote: »
    maybe i am being naive here!!
    I tend to believe these posters that come on, then as time goes on I am not so sure.......

I try to look at it as an opportunity. IF they want to come in, or even pay or recruit people to come in, and trot out the same 4 or 5 questions, and the same 4 or 5 mantras about taking responsibility and killing human life....... then I am happy to represent the pro choice side calmly, articulately, politely and honestly and feed them the answers they seek.

5 times or 5000 times I am happy to do it between now and election day. And what happens I have noticed is that these people realising I am un-trollable and will not rise in anger or foaming at the mouth.... simply start ignoring me and focusing on the people they think are taking the bait.

Bertie ignored several of my posts before he got thread banned. Horse ignored three of mine today alone that he could not rebut or retort.

As soon as they see you are not prone to having your emotions poked they start by dodging, distorting,and then eventually ignoring and running away. They want the ones who call them trolls, shout at them, insult them, and get thread banned or carded because of them. Because then they can pretend the yes side are some angry mob of foaming mouthed bullies.

The better we represent ourselves in the face of everything from their high horsing to their feigning ignorance about things they have had explained 20 times by 15 different people.... the more they Poe their own position. And I am game if they are. I hope they do not stop. They hang themselves with every word and every move of manipulation they make while we sit back and calmly and maturely answer the challenges as they arise.

Nope there is not. They could write legislation that goes 100% AGAINST the pro choice position. But "What ifs" and crystal ball gazing should not be used to not do the right thing NOW. I will vote yes because I believe it is the right thing to do now, as a first step towards a set of ideals. I will fight the next battle when we come to it.

IF we lived our lives by the intellectually bankrupt and cowardly narrative of not doing the right thing, just in case...... well I imagine we would get nothing done.

"Mog said nothing. She did not like things to change. She liked the to be the same".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

some people would say that politicians evolving their thinking would be a good thing. apparently not.

how about you answer the question i asked?

If it's genuine I have no problem with it. However if you are taking a view because you think it's the most popular/will give you a political advantage then I am somewhat more dismissive of it.

There is no guarantee, but with the 8th in place there is no possibility. Legislation has been proposed and I've no reason to believe it won't be the legislation put forward. It's not my ideal legislation in any case.

What's your point exactly? You're agitating for repealing the 8th amendment on the basis of healthcare issues while simultaneously acknowledging that none of those concerns will be addressed by repealing the 8th amendment.

Why don't Pro Choicers come straight out and say that they are in favour of abortion on demand. I get it, but running a campaign based on a healthcare issue because you think that this is more palpable to a wider audience is disingenuous. I think that Pro Lifers would be better served arguing the merits of abortion on demand instead of this tactic of taking the marginal case and use that as the broad argument when regardless of whether the woman was raped they are still in favour of abortion in which case you're giving an exceptional example to prove a rule that you don't actually want to defend. Taking the marginal case of the imaginary victim who has been raped or has a cancer and saying "this is all abortions" when know that this is simply not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

What's your point exactly? You're agitating for repealing the 8th amendment on the basis of healthcare issues while simultaneously acknowledging that none of those concerns will be addressed by repealing the 8th amendment.

Why don't Pro Choicers come straight out and say that they are in favour of abortion on demand. I get it, but running a campaign based on a healthcare issue because you think that this is more palpable to a wider audience is disingenuous. I think that Pro Lifers would be better served arguing the merits of abortion on demand instead of this tactic of taking the marginal case and use that as the broad argument when regardless of whether the woman was raped they are still in favour of abortion in which case you're giving an exceptional example to prove a rule that you don't actually want to defend. Taking the marginal case of the imaginary victim who has been raped or has a cancer and saying "this is all abortions" when know that this is simply not the case.

You have misunderstood the issue on a fundamental level.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is a post from the In Her Shoes Facebook page today:

"Happily married with three healthy children our family was complete. We never quite found the right form of contraception however and I found myself pregnant again. After the initial shock I knew we had to seriously consider our options.

Having suffered from anxiety and post natal depression after the birth of our third child I was still having treatment and taking medication. I didn't want another baby. Neither did my husband.
    We discussed it and he said it was my choice. But these were just words, when I tried to make arrangements he didn't engage. I was told if I travelled it would be alone. So without his support I felt it impossible to arrange. I ordered Pills and in my heart I knew taking them would mean the end of my marriage.

This was and remains the loneliest time of my life. It was a huge decision that I could get no help with for fear of judgement or incriminating those I asked for help. I called my psychiatrist and her first response was "you need to stop taking your meds ". The 8th Amendment seemed to surround and suffocate me. I have a lovely GP who i couldn't go and speak to because this would make us both criminals.

In the end I continued with the pregnancy, because I felt trapped than any other reason. Despite assurances from the hospital that I would be cared for by their mental health team, I seen a nurse just once before delivery and that was it.

Where are the "pro life" crowd when the babies are born. When I struggle to walk, so depressed I can't get out of bed. When this 4th child leaves me unable to care for the other 3.

I love my son very very much. He has brought so much joy to me but not all the changes have been for the better. My health has suffered terribly. As has my career and finances.
    My marriage is over, he couldn't handle the pressure. Now I'm alone with 4 children. Who from the "pro-life" movement is around to help me now?

The 8th amendment is barbaric, it demeans half the population, restricts access to healthcare and ruins lives.

For all the women in Ireland"
    #Repeal8th #trustwomen

repeal of the 8th IS a health care issue.
    abortion is secondary.
    i would believe that most women want repeal of the 8th amendment regardless of any abortion legislation that may come after.

oh, & just FYI, I am pro choice, but I am pro repeal first and foremost.
    I dont believe anyone is hiding anything here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

So we should only do things if it fixes everything in one swoop? Is that your approach? Because alas the real world is more cruel and complex than that.

The people who want to address those issues recognise that it is a war of many battles. And repealing the 8th is the first battle in that war.

They see two choices. Keep the 8th and never address those issues adequately, or repeal it and open up the next stage of possibilities to do so.
    Why don't Pro Choicers come straight out and say that they are in favour of abortion on demand.

Unclear what you mean? The people on this thread have been VERY clear about their position on choice based abortion. I even just wrote you a whole post on the subject making it very open, honest and clear. It appears that to pedal this "Why not come out and be honest about it" line you are selling.... you are required to ignore them (and me) and anything else that does not fit that narrative.

You have entered a thread FULL of people being honest about their position on abortion, to demand they be honest about their position on abortion. Do you also tend to walk into bars and demand that the people there be honest about their desire to drink alcohol?
    I get it, but running a campaign based on a healthcare issue because you think that this is more palpable to a wider audience is disingenuous.

Great. But given that is NOT what is happening here the sole source of being disingenuous is coming from you. YOU came in and started asking specific questions about healthcare from the start. Many people moved to answer your questions in good faith. And having ensured that everyone was talking about that specifically........ you are now acting like they are somehow being dishonest and are talking about it with a hidden agenda?

They are talking about it because YOU swayed the conversation that way. Clearly with an agenda to use their good faith against them. That is really a new low for the thread really. For shame. For. Absolute. Shame. On. You.

So not only are you going into a bar and demanding people be honest about wanting to drink alcohol, you are essentially going in and buying them all a round of alcohol free drinks, waiting until they get them, and THEN admonishing them for acting like they do not want to drink alcohol.

• Advertisement

What's your point exactly?

It's the very simply worded first sentence of the post that you quoted.

You're agitating for repealing the 8th amendment on the basis of healthcare issues while simultaneously acknowledging that none of those concerns will be addressed by repealing the 8th amendment.

But it makes it possible for those concerns to be addressed. Those concerns cannot be addressed without repealing it. So even though "Repealing the 8th" and "addressing those concerns" are different things, they are related, and one needs to happen for the other to happen. I'm running out of ways to phrase this simply.
    Why don't Pro Choicers come straight out and say that they are in favour of abortion on demand. I get it, but running a campaign based on a healthcare issue because you think that this is more palpable to a wider audience is disingenuous.

Yeah why don't they :confused:
    Let me ask you, if the woman wasn't raped, in a bad relationship, completed her education and was well off? Would you still be in favour of abortion?
    Yup.
    I am personally in favour of what's blithely referred to as abortion on demand or lifestyle abortions.

Yes. I don't want children. I never want children. I am not allowed to get my tubes tied in case I "change my mind". No contraception is 100% effective. The very thought of having children makes me feel sick, due to personal reasons. Carrying a child to term and giving it away would probably end up being the death of me. If I fell pregnant now, one way or another, I will not stay pregnant.

Making abortion illegal does not stop abortions.
    January wrote: »
    Yes

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Let me ask you, if the woman wasn't raped, in a bad relationship, completed her education and was well off? Would you still be in favour of abortion?
    Absolutely.
    Her business not yours mine or anyone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Why don't Pro Choicers come straight out and say that they are in favour of abortion on demand. I get it, but running a campaign based on a healthcare issue because you think that this is more palpable to a wider audience is disingenuous.

No one's preference is for abortion, people know full well this is such a drastic measure. However in whatever private matter someone finds them-self in; that should remain between them and their doctor give them all the support needed under proper medical care.

This abortion on demand babble is actually whats disingenuous, hate to break it to you but abortions happen regardless, abortion is abortion what's with the on demand tagged on at the end ever hear of tonsillectomy's on demand being uttered regularly? No

This on demand tag seems to imply that no thought is put into such a decision, do you seriously distrust a person to not know themselves what they feel is right for THEM?(not how YOU feel), Let's be real it's hardly as easy as choosing a movie on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Watching prime time. Not enough family doctors and heading towards a 3,000 shortage of doctors. People finding it hard to get doctors to take on new patients. People having to wait to see their doctors as they find it hard to get an appointment.
    Then Simon Harris and the yes side think family doctors will be at the frontline for their new shiny abortion regime, when things like free doctors visits for under 6’s already has the system in trouble.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Watching prime time. Not enough family doctors and heading towards a 3,000 shortage of doctors. People finding it hard to get doctors to take on new patients. People having to wait to see their doctors as they find it hard to get an appointment.
    Then Simon Harris and the yes side think family doctors will be at the frontline for their new shiny abortion regime, when things like free doctors visits for under 6’s already has the system in trouble.

More scaremongering BS from our resident IONA spokesman!
    Like every GP in the country will have queues of dirty hussies queuing up outside their door every morning looking for terminations.
    Cop on FFS and stop showing yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Free doctor visits for under 6 is the cause of the backlog? Call the newspapers!

Sure abortions will solve that problem then...

(kidding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I thought one of the issues was more abortions = less people, what with the 'one out of five pregnancies terminated' fallacy? So surely less people = less demand for doctors. And less demand for doctors = shortage of doctors goes down.

This 'no' logic seems to be stumbling over itself quite a bit. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

baylah17 wrote: »
    More scaremongering BS from our resident IONA spokesman!
    Like every GP in the country will have queues of dirty hussies queuing up outside their door every morning looking for terminations.
    Cop on FFS and stop showing yourself up.

Take your own advice.

Free doctor visits for under 6 is the cause of the backlog? Call the newspapers!

Sure abortions will solve that problem then...

(kidding)

Shure once we force abortions on all the wimmin ,wont we be euthanizing all the sick and elderly and disabled , that should free up lots of hospital beds and GP places.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Lots of trouble with the system, I came across this story, from north of the border, but no abortion access, and a young woman having to face this alone probably, maybe a better system with a more open policy on abortion could help avoid situations like this.
    I hope this poor girl is OK!
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/stillborn-baby-found-in-car-boot-at-northern-ireland-hospital-36815743.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement