Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

What's your point exactly? You're agitating for repealing the 8th amendment on the basis of healthcare issues while simultaneously acknowledging that none of those concerns will be addressed by repealing the 8th amendment.

Why don't Pro Choicers come straight out and say that they are in favour of abortion on demand. I get it, but running a campaign based on a healthcare issue because you think that this is more palpable to a wider audience is disingenuous. I think that Pro Lifers would be better served arguing the merits of abortion on demand instead of this tactic of taking the marginal case and use that as the broad argument when regardless of whether the woman was raped they are still in favour of abortion in which case you're giving an exceptional example to prove a rule that you don't actually want to defend. Taking the marginal case of the imaginary victim who has been raped or has a cancer and saying "this is all abortions" when know that this is simply not the case.

Is there a script ye get for posting on here? Because your arguments especially the one above is very similar to thee glitz earlier posts, which have now been mainly reduced to pretty bad one liners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Indeed, next you'll be saying every sperm is sacred

You can honestly see the point I'm trying to make though, right?

More than happy to use contraceptives with the intent of not being pregnant, but have a problem seeking an abortion with the intent of no longer being pregnant... What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Contraceptive pill, husband could have tubes tied.
    thee glitz wrote: »
    Zappone's gonna make up the numbers by giving out baby boxes.
    * as a form of birth control, so

Are ye on some kind of pro-life piss up? These are nonsensical posts, literally nothing to do with the posts they're allegedly replying to. Is that what ye're reduced to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

You can honestly see the point I'm trying to make though, right?

More than happy to use contraceptives with the intent of not being pregnant, but have a problem seeking an abortion with the intent of no longer being pregnant... What?

as we have been told quite recently, abortion isn't contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do pro life really care about "born" babies once they have arrived? Just wondered about that.

They seem to be very focused on embryos and foetuses with moving fingers and all the rest of it. But once born, all is forgotten.

And then the parents have a battle for that kid's care for the rest of their lives. Where is pro life support there I often wonder?

• Advertisement

as we have been told quite recently, abortion isn't contraception.

Not quite recently, since it was first mentioned.

And repeatedly since then.

a friend of mine was married to a man that had a vasectomy, both of them had grown up children from previous relationships.
    she got pregnant.
    With twins.
    que much rows etc etc turned out he still fathered the children.

no contraceptive is 100% affective.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Contraception, including sterilisation, is not 100% effective. That’s if you can find a doctor who will do it as it is notoriously difficult to get sterilised in this country.

So, should that woman not have sex with her husband? Yes or no?

And to answer your question: as you have been told abortion cannot be used as contraception as conception has already occurred. However I have no problems with women using abortion to not have babies that, for their own reasons, they do not want to have.

Not quite recently, since it was first mentioned.

And repeatedly since then.

so you can see the difference between preventing a pregnancy, and ending one?

can you?
    people can do everything in their power to prevent a pregnancy but it still occurs.
    what would you suggest they do if contraception fails?
    remember they dont want to be pregnant & they dont want a baby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Husband could have tubes tied....

Absolutely I can, you just cannot try to take the perceived moral high ground against abortion ending a pregnancy if you take contraception to prevent a pregnancy in the first place, it is mindnumbingly flawed logic.

Neddyusa wrote:
    Interestingly Repeal campaigners repeatedly play the man rather the ball when it comes to "debate".

What exactly does that mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What exactly does that mean?

It means the 'no' side have a victim complex, and it's no more effective today than it was in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Would you place any limits as to when an abortion can be carried out?

Yes. In legislation only.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Pro-life campaigners knocked at a few doors on my road. I admire that they’re out there trying to canvass, but being in Dublin South-Central it’s a waste of time. Probably the most left leaning constituency in Ireland? Got a bit nasty when people where opening their door before they even reached the gate to shout their disapproval. So knock at my door all you want, us working class people know a liar when we see one. This poster is a classic example of the misinformation they’re trying to feed

They seem to be very focused on embryos and foetuses with moving fingers and all the rest of it. But once born, all is forgotten.

It's like what George Carlin said in that video posted earlier (yes it's American based but apt given the involvement of Americans in this referendum). Conservatives don't care after their born until they reach recruitment age. Then they're interested again. They want live babies so they can have dead soliders.

In a similar way here, they don't care until you are if child baring age and suddenly your reproductive system (and habits) are of great interest, regardless of the person attached to those systems.

Absolutely I can, you just cannot try to take the perceived moral high ground against abortion ending a pregnancy if you take contraception to prevent a pregnancy in the first place, it is mindnumbingly flawed logic.

how so?
    it would be massively more flawed to say there is no qualitative difference between a separate sperm and an egg, and a fertilised egg / zygote / fetus

how so? it would be massively more flawed to say there is no qualitative difference between a separate sperm and an egg, and a fertilised egg / zygote / fetus

Has anybody said that?

I have no words.

30729956_830923910429021_7405785518350270464_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=ceb94bbf0efb1a182b2210b1d6b632d3&oe=5B64FE8B

• Advertisement

how so?
    it would be massively more flawed to say there is no qualitative difference between a separate sperm and an egg, and a fertilised egg / zygote / fetus

"I'm using contraception because I don't want to be pregnant/can't support a baby right now/I'm not financially stable enough to have a baby/etc"

"I'm seeking an abortion because I don't want to be pregnant/can't support a baby right now/I'm not financially stable enough to have a baby/etc"

Neither one of these individuals want to be pregnant, so why does one get a free pass whilst the other doesn't?

Not saying I disagree with contraception, I just think it's funny that pro-lifers can be so pro-life when technically contraception is the prevention of fertilization/creation of life in the first place.

Has anybody said that?
    Are ye on some kind of pro-life piss up? These are nonsensical posts, literally nothing to do with the posts they're allegedly replying to. Is that what ye're reduced to?

are some of the pro-choice on the beer as well?

Has anybody said that?

I used it to demonstrate to a pro-lifer the flawed logic behind willingly using contraception because she didn't want to be pregnant, yet has a problem with other women having abortions because they don't want to be a problem.

For some reason this poster has latched onto it.

Not saying I disagree with contraception, I just think it's funny that pro-lifers can be so pro-life when technically contraception is the prevention of fertilization/creation of life in the first place.

can you see no qualitative difference between a separate sperm and an egg, and a fertilised egg / zygote / fetus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

A pro lifer, I can't believe people use that as a negative.Amazing really.

can you see no qualitative difference between a separate sperm and an egg, and a fertilised egg / zygote / fetus?

I never said I couldn't.

Like I said, I used it to demonstrate to a pro-life individual who doesn't see the hypocrisy in using contraceptives because they don't want to be pregnant (MAP included) yet has a serious issue with abortion.

Surely if they're so pro-life they would (by their own ideologies) only have intercourse to procreate, no? If all life is precious to them, then by their mindsets, contraception would be the denial of life and an attempt at fertilization, no?

AnneFrank wrote: »
    A pro lifer, I can't believe people use that as a negative.Amazing really.

The term should be pro-birth seeing as they don't give a tiddlywinks what happens after the baby is born, providing that no abortion takes place, it funnily enough doesn't become their problem anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

"I'm using contraception because I don't want to get pregnant/can't support a baby right now/I'm not financially stable enough to have a baby/etc"

"I'm seeking an abortion because I don't want to get pregnant/can't support a baby right now/I'm not financially stable enough to have a baby/etc"

Neither one of these individuals want to get pregnant, so why does one get a free pass whilst the other doesn't?

I would have thought it fairly obvious that the two situations are different. Pro lifers would see the embryo/fetus as a new human life and abortion is the ending of a human life from their perspective. Contraception is the prevention of a human life from occurring so the act of ending it (which is their problem) never happens. This would be an example of the end not justifying the means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

kylith wrote: »
    Contraception, including sterilisation, is not 100% effective. That’s if you can find a doctor who will do it as it is notoriously difficult to get sterilised in this country.

So, should that woman not have sex with her husband? Yes or no?

And to answer your question: as you have been told abortion cannot be used as contraception as conception has already occurred. However I have no problems with women using abortion to not have babies that, for their own reasons, they do not want to have.

It's not for me to say if they should have sex or not, but if they are and they don't plan on having any more children then I suggest they use a form of "birth control" which on the balance of probability will prevent them from ever having any unwanted children.

Again trying to take a marginal case in an attempt to prove something which you have no intention of defending.

This is the problem, when you remove the marginal case of the rape victim with the glass eye who has stage 4 cancer, and you concede that repealing the 8th will address none of the healthcare issues which have been raised, the whole argument falls to shreds. Why don't they just run a campaign based on the merits rather than the imaginary victim?

• Advertisement

It's not for me to say if they should have sex or not, but if they are and they don't plan on having any more children then I suggest they use a form of "birth control" which on the balance of probability will prevent them from ever having any unwanted children.

what about the people were contraceptive fails?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement