Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But are we going to start legislating for marginal cases? The primary concern for pro choice advocates seems to be on health grounds. If those were addressed would this not account for the vast majority of instances that people are concerned about. How many women are impregnated as a result of being raped?
    These are not "marginal cases". These are womens lives.

Can I make a suggestion. Have you read the facebook page "in her shoes"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Edward M wrote: »
    Does the normal rules, one day before polling, not apply for referenda?

Those rules only apply to media coverage. There have never been any rules about when campaigning stops, for elections or referendums, aside from the rules I mentioned about the polling station. In practice, there isn't any door to door canvassing on referendum day, if for no other reason you could be canvassing people who may have already voted.

Journalists asks No campaigners what their plan is if No wins. Their (lack of) answers will (not) surprise you!!

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/anti-abortion-campaigners-dodging-the-real-question-1.3464698

Let me ask you, if the woman wasn't raped, in a bad relationship, completed her education and was well off? Would you still be in favour of abortion?

I would. Let the woman make a decision about what is best for her.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

January wrote: »
    So what about my case where I was using contraception and have 4 children already. We can't afford another child, having another would mean my other already born children would have suffered because we wouldn't have had the means to feed and clothe or educate them all.

So I choose between my already born children and the potential life growing inside me.

What would you have done in my case

I don't consider that economic grounds is a good reason for ending a life.

I say this because economic issues are related to the policies implemented through government policy.

Services and government policy should be improved to help families rather than the government policy dictating to families that they have to change their circumstances.

This issue was raised in the recent documentary by Sally Phillips, where she was asked about what prospects her son would have, upon her death.

She replied that abortion wasn't the answer, that the answer was an improvement in care and services.

I think what she was saying could be stated in response to Brid Smith, in the episode of Vincent Browne on TV3 on 6th July 2017, where Brid Smith seemed to suggest that economic and social situations in terms of inequality in services and financial circumstances are reasons to have abortions.

To keep joeytheparrot satisfied, I wont include the two links to the discussion, so if you want to see it you'll have to peruse youtube and the tv3 page.

• Advertisement

Women already have that choice, repealing the 8th is not going to change that.

They dont have that choice here in this country.

Terry Pratchet

It's not a checkmate, I just don't see the reason for the healthcare facade. It just clouds and confuses the issue further. If your in favour of abortion on request then just say so instead of taking the imaginary victim who has been raped or terminally ill and say "this is all abortions".

Right so basically you asked us lots of questions and now want to blithely dismiss all the answers while completely misrepenting what everyone says.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fine. Don't have an abortion yourself.

Someone else's choice is their choice alone.

So how will repeal address the health care issues mentioned?

It gives the legislature the ability to legislate

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I say this because economic issues are related to the policies implemented through government policy.

Services and government policy should be improved to help families rather than the government policy dictating to families that they have to change their circumstances.

This issue was raised in the recent documentary by Sally Phillips, where she was asked about what prospects her son would have, upon her death.

She replied that abortion wasn't the answer, that the answer was an improvement in care and services.

I think what she was saying could be stated in response to Brid Smith, in the episode of Vincent Browne on TV3 on 6th July 2017, where Brid Smith seemed to suggest that economic and social situations in terms of inequality in services and financial circumstances are reasons to have abortions.

To keep joeytheparrot satisfied, I wont include the two links to the discussion, so if you want to see it you'll have to peruse youtube and the tv3 page.

But Sally Phillips made that choice for herself. It's all well and good to say economic reasons aren't good enough. But how can you make that call for someone else? Another kid for us would mean childcare that was too expensive, me leaving work and being unable to sustain the three of them. Paying the mortgage on one salary would mean nothing left.

You can't get financial issues resolved by government in 9 months. During the crash when people were losing their houses, imagine bringing another child into that and what it would mean for your family.

How quickly people are forgetting, in recent times, financial reasons aren't just a matter of choosing Heinz tomato ketchup over dunnes own brand, it really was a matter of keeping a roof over your head. That still hasn't been resolved for a lot of people. And you say it's not a good enough reason to have an abortion?

• Advertisement

But there is no guarantee that you will get the legislation you're in favour of after the 8th has been repealed.

No. There is no guatantee. But in order to get there the 8th needs to be repealed.

Anymore whataboutery?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ok so the government should just give me a bigger house a bigger car and more money to have another child? Right

January wrote: »
    Ok so the government should just give me a bigger house a bigger car and more money to have another child? Right

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that services should improve.

Wouldn't suggesting that people should have abortions on the basis of economic circumstances, result in more inequality, in terms of demographics and society and various family services available to familes, because you'd then be arguing that it'd be acceptable that families in more affluent areas have more children than families in areas that are less affluent?

For example if there are childcare services that are privatized, wouldn't they be more inclined to set up businesses in more affluent areas?

Does the government hand out cars? I thought that was the banks did that to encourage people taking mortgages with those banks?

amdublin wrote: »
    Fine. Don't have an abortion yourself.

Someone else's choice is their choice alone.

great response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,186 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Wouldn't suggesting that people should have abortions on the basis of economic circumstances, result in more inequality, in terms of demographics and society and various family services available to familes, because you'd then be arguing that it'd be acceptable that families in more affluent areas have more children than families in areas that are less affluent?

For example if there are childcare services that are privatized, wouldn't they be more inclined to set up businesses in more affluent areas?

Does the government hand out cars? I thought that was the banks did that to encourage people taking mortgages with those banks?

It could be argued that private childcare's extortionate prices are unconstitutional as well as "the state should do everying in its power to avoid a woman having to work in the workforce due to economic necessity at the neglect of her duties in the home".

But I digress, this is not about economics. This is about an individual's right to bodily integrity.
    I hear often "why should a woman who is raped be allowed to have an abortion, it's not the child's fault". Well why should the woman have a pregnancy enforced on her for 9 months? It wasnt her decision to be raped.

I couldnt pass up this remark, so please accept it for the jovial nature it is delivered in: Ironically, for someone called horseburger, you do come out with some horsesh1t at times.:pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

great response.

Retaining the eighth will not prevent abortions. They will still occur. It's basically like blocking your eyes and pretending they aren't happening. You're just putting far more mental strain on people having them. Also endangering women Eg if a woman wants an experimental cancer treatment. She can't have it if pregnant. All the Masters of The Rotunda support repeal, they've seen the negative rather than the supposed positive effect it has.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It could be argued that private childcare's extortionate prices are unconstitutional as well as "the state should do everying in its power to avoid a woman having to work in the workforce due to economic necessity at the neglect of her duties in the home".

But I digress, this is not about economics. This is about an individual's right to bodily integrity.
    I hear often "why should a woman who is raped be allowed to have an abortion, it's not the child's fault". Well why should the woman have a pregnancy enforced on her for 9 months? It wasnt her decision to be raped.

I couldnt pass up this remark, so please accept it for the jovial nature it is delivered in: Ironically, for someone called horseburger, you do come out with some horsesh1t at times.:pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D:D

The issue of economics was brought into the discussion by someone else. If you think economics is not relevant, reply to the person that mentioned it, the person to whom I responded.

Because if you think the issue isn't economics and some people who are calling for repeal think economics is the issue, perhaps it might be worth discussing that there are disagreements in the various arguments given for voting on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

pitifulgod wrote: »
    All the Masters of The Rotunda support repeal, they've seen the negative rather than the supposed positive effect it has.

The Master of Holles Street supports it too

What services? How should they be improved? What's your evidence base for believing your proposed improvements would reduce the rate of abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

The issue of economics was brought into the discussion by someone else. If you think economics is not relevant, reply to the person that mentioned it, the person to whom I responded.

Because if you think the issue isn't economics and some people who are calling for repeal think economics is the issue, perhaps it might be worth discussing that there are disagreements in the various arguments given for voting on the issue.

There are multiple reasons including economic. Yep there are ways to reduce the number via economic improvements. However there are still plenty of other reasons. Some people simply don't want to have children, others aren't in a place in life where they want to currently have children at that point in time. All reasonable reasons.

• Advertisement

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Retaining the eighth will not prevent abortions. They will still occur. It's basically like blocking your eyes and pretending they aren't happening. You're just putting far more mental strain on people having them. Also endangering women Eg if a woman wants an experimental cancer treatment. She can't have it if pregnant. All the Masters of The Rotunda support repeal, they've seen the negative rather than the supposed positive effect it has.

I am quite aware of that.

But it would increase the abortions on the basis of grounds given, would it not?

An abortion on a particular ground might not be permitted, but that particular request for an abortion, could be categorised under another ground.

This was detailed by Patricia Lohr of BPAS at the Oireachtas committee.

Here is a post I wrote in the other thread, but it is relevant in discussing, the circumstances and grounds given, for when abortion is approved:

The wording that will replace the current wording will not give an indication as to what will be covered in practice by new legislation, as I understand it.

I suggest this with reference to this article by Sarah Bardon in the Irish Times, that quotes a comment made on behalf of the Oireachtas Committee that states that there is no certainty that what is recommended by the Oreachtas Committee, will be exactly what is recommended.

The article includes the lines:
    "Members say they cannot compel the Government to accept their recommendations".

"Members of the Oireachtas[/URL] Committee on the Eighth Amendment have insisted they cannot compel the Government to accept their recommendations".

"The committee published its 40 page report on Wednesday outlining the decisions taken by members and the rationale for them.
    The proposals include repealing the Eighth Amendment, which places the life of the unborn on an equal footing to the mother, and permitting abortions up to 12 weeks".

"Chair of the committee Catherine Noone[/URL] said the role of the committee should not be overestimated. Its job was to make recommendations and to be helpful to the Government, she added".

"The committee can not compel the Government or the Houses of the Oireachtas to accept its proposals, Ms Noone added".
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas-committee-on-eighth-amendment-publishes-40-page-report-1.3333670

In this Prime Time discussion between Maria Steen and Ivana Bacik, it was stated by Ivana Bacik that the Oireachtas Committee did not endorse abortion in cases of Down's Syndrome.

Maria Steen responded, by citing Germany as an example, that abortion in cases of Down's Syndrome, could be carried out under mental health grounds.

There was no response from Ivana Bacik on this issue.

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/prime-time/2018/0118/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2018/0118/10829055-prime-time-tool-theft-8th-amendment-debate/

In the Oireachtas Committee Patricia Lohr of BPAS spoke of permitting abortions, on grounds other than the ground that was initially requested.

In an exchange with Peter Fitzpatrick TD, she said that it is possible to permit abortions on grounds other than the ground that was initially requested.

Here is the section where Peter Fitzpatrick asked question regarding abortion on grounds of sex selection.

Here is the transcript of the exchanges between Peter Fitzpatrick and Patricia Lohr, during the Oireachtas Committee meeting on 22nd November 2017

Peter Fitzpatrick asked:
    "I welcome Dr. Lohr from the British Pregnancy Advisory Service. The head of Dr. Lohr's organisation, Ann Furedi, recently spoke on television about how she feels that abortion should be available for sex selection, if a woman finds that she is expecting a baby girl but wanted a baby boy that should be grounds for an abortion. I think most people find it quite upsetting that anyone would think a baby's life should be ended simply because she is a girl. Does Dr. Lohr think that abortion should be allowed on grounds of gender so that a woman can abort a baby girl if she wants a boy instead? The name of the programme is "Loose Women". It is a daytime programme."
    Patricia Lohr responded:
    "I have not seen the programme."
    Peter Fitzpatrick replied:
    "Is Dr. Lohr familiar with the statement made on the programme?"
    Patricia Lohr responded:
    "I am not familiar with the exact text of the statement. What she may have been clarifying is that abortion on gender grounds is not one of the five grounds for lawful abortion in the UK. A woman may present to us stating initially that she wants to have an abortion on the basis of foetal sex. If that were the only reason she put forward to have her abortion, we would not be able to perform that lawfully. If, however, a woman presented saying, "I know my pregnancy is - pick your foetal sex - and I am at risk of exclusion from my family, domestic violence, etc.,", there may, in fact, be lawful grounds because that might risk her physical or mental health."
    "My question was whether Dr. Lohr thought abortion should be allowed on the grounds of gender. What does she think? Her CEO seemed to think it should be one of the grounds. She also stated on the same programme when she was talking about sex selection that it should always be down to the woman to make the decision for herself because she will live with it."
    Patricia Lohr responded:
    "I absolutely do agree with the position that it is for the woman to decide when and whether she is ready to parent or have a child and put it up for adoption."
    "I am talking about a boy or a girl. I am talking about gender selection."
    Patricia Lohr responded:
    "My point is that I feel that decisions about whether to continue a pregnancy should sit with the woman herself. As a doctor and knowing the risks of continuing an unwanted pregnancy, I cannot imagine compelling a woman to have and continue a pregnancy for which she is unprepared."
    Here is the address by Patricia Lohr at the Oireachtas Committee.

The address by Patricia Lohr and the question and answer session is available on the Oireachtas website.

The exchange with Peter Fitzpatrick TD, commences at the 1 hour 58 minute mark:

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=37332&&CatID=127&StartDate=01 January 2017&OrderAscending=0

https://media.heanet.ie/p/20171122+Joint+Committee+on+Eighth+Amendment+of+the+Constitution/HbnSmB

Here is the transcript of the exchange between Patricia Lohr and Peter Fitzpatrick:

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/EAJ2017112200002#N240

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/committeetakes/EAJ2017112200002?opendocument#G00050

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I suggest they use a form of "birth control" which on the balance of probability will prevent them from ever having any unwanted children.

Unfortunately people trotting out your narrative do not tend to run the numbers on probability. They just throw out the word probability without doing, or likely understanding, the mathematics behind it.

A small probability over a large data set results in a significant outcome. So go do the math some time. Work out how many sexually active couples there are, work out how often they have sex on average. And then run that total through the probability failure rates of contraception in conjunction with fertility rates.

The resulting number of unwanted and unplanned pregnancies is the result you will get then. And it is not an insignificant number. If you are going to shout at us about probabilities then at least do the math and show your workings. You have declared it "marginal". Show those numbers and how you worked out your results.

Economics are not the issue and have been brought into it by you.
    Please stop diverting the issue. I know it's late over there in Kentucky but please try to stay with us.
    I am quite aware of that.

But it would increase the abortions on the basis of grounds given, would it not?

An abortion on a particular ground might not be permitted, but that particular ground could be catagorised under another ground.

This was detailed by Patricia Lohr of BPAS at the Oireachtas committee.

Here is a post I wrote in the other thread, but might be relevant in discussing the circumstances of when abortion is approved:

The wording that will replace the current wording will not give an indication as to what will be covered in practice by new legislation, as I understand it.

I suggest this with reference to this article by Sarah Bardon in the Irish Times, that quotes a comment made on behalf of the Oireachtas Committee that states that there is no certainty that what is recommended by the Oreachtas Committee, will be exactly what is recommended.

The article includes the lines:

"Members say they cannot compel the Government to accept their recommendations".

"Members of the Oireachtas[/URL] Committee on the Eighth Amendment have insisted they cannot compel the Government to accept their recommendations".

"The committee published its 40 page report on Wednesday outlining the decisions taken by members and the rationale for them.
    The proposals include repealing the Eighth Amendment, which places the life of the unborn on an equal footing to the mother, and permitting abortions up to 12 weeks".

"Chair of the committee Catherine Noone[/URL] said the role of the committee should not be overestimated. Its job was to make recommendations and to be helpful to the Government, she added".

"The committee can not compel the Government or the Houses of the Oireachtas to accept its proposals, Ms Noone added".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas-committee-on-eighth-amendment-publishes-40-page-report-1.3333670

In this Prime Time discussion between Maria Steen and Ivana Bacik, it was stated by Ivana Bacik that the Oireachtas Committee did not endorse abortion in cases of Down's Syndrome.

Maria Steen responded, by citing Germany as an example, that abortion in cases of Down's Syndrome, could be carried out under mental health grounds.

There was no response from Ivana Bacik on this issue.

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/prime-time/2018/0118/
    https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2018/0118/10829055-prime-time-tool-theft-8th-amendment-debate/

In the Oireachtas Committee Patricia Lohr of BPAS spoke of permitting abortions, on grounds other than the ground that was initially requested.

In an exchange with Peter Fitzpatrick TD, she said that it is possible to permit abortions on grounds other than the ground that was initially requested.

Here is the section where Peter Fitzpatrick asked question regarding abortion on grounds of sex selection.

Here is the transcript of the exchanges between Peter Fitzpatrick and Patricia Lohr, during the Oireachtas Committee meeting on 22nd November 2017

Peter Fitzpatrick asked:

"I welcome Dr. Lohr from the British Pregnancy Advisory Service. The head of Dr. Lohr's organisation, Ann Furedi, recently spoke on television about how she feels that abortion should be available for sex selection, if a woman finds that she is expecting a baby girl but wanted a baby boy that should be grounds for an abortion. I think most people find it quite upsetting that anyone would think a baby's life should be ended simply because she is a girl. Does Dr. Lohr think that abortion should be allowed on grounds of gender so that a woman can abort a baby girl if she wants a boy instead? The name of the programme is "Loose Women". It is a daytime programme."

Patricia Lohr responded:

"I have not seen the programme."

"Is Dr. Lohr familiar with the statement made on the programme?"

Patricia Lohr responded:

"I am not familiar with the exact text of the statement. What she may have been clarifying is that abortion on gender grounds is not one of the five grounds for lawful abortion in the UK. A woman may present to us stating initially that she wants to have an abortion on the basis of foetal sex. If that were the only reason she put forward to have her abortion, we would not be able to perform that lawfully. If, however, a woman presented saying, "I know my pregnancy is - pick your foetal sex - and I am at risk of exclusion from my family, domestic violence, etc.,", there may, in fact, be lawful grounds because that might risk her physical or mental health."

"My question was whether Dr. Lohr thought abortion should be allowed on the grounds of gender. What does she think? Her CEO seemed to think it should be one of the grounds. She also stated on the same programme when she was talking about sex selection that it should always be down to the woman to make the decision for herself because she will live with it."

Patricia Lohr responded:

"I absolutely do agree with the position that it is for the woman to decide when and whether she is ready to parent or have a child and put it up for adoption."

"I am talking about a boy or a girl. I am talking about gender selection."

Patricia Lohr responded:

"My point is that I feel that decisions about whether to continue a pregnancy should sit with the woman herself. As a doctor and knowing the risks of continuing an unwanted pregnancy, I cannot imagine compelling a woman to have and continue a pregnancy for which she is unprepared."

Here is the address by Patricia Lohr at the Oireachtas Committee.

The address by Patricia Lohr and the question and answer session is available on the Oireachtas website.

The exchange with Peter Fitzpatrick TD, commences at the 1 hour 58 minute mark:

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=37332&&CatID=127&StartDate=01 January 2017&OrderAscending=0

https://media.heanet.ie/p/20171122+Joint+Committee+on+Eighth+Amendment+of+the+Constitution/HbnSmB

Here is the transcript of the exchange between Patricia Lohr and Peter Fitzpatrick:

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/Debates%20Authoring/DebatesWebPack.nsf/committeetakes/EAJ2017112200002#N240

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/committeetakes/EAJ2017112200002?opendocument#G00050

Oh look, it's these links again.
    Poor diddums, run out of spam have we? (FYI - diddums is a slang word used in Ireland, i don't know if ye use it over there)

ELM327 wrote: »
    Economics are not the issue and have been brought into it by you.
    Please stop diverting the issue. I know it's late over there in Kentucky but please try to stay with us.

Oh look, it's these links again.
    Poor diddums, run out of spam have we? (FYI - diddums is a slang word used in Ireland, i don't know if ye use it over there)

I already told you that I was responding to someone who argued for abortion on grounds of being able to afford raising children.

Great attempt at avoiding the issue that Patricia Lohr conceded that abortions can occur on grounds that were not initially given, but categorized under other grounds.

You don't think that issue is worthy of consideration to discuss that the Oireachtas Committee didn't endorse abortion on grounds of Down's Syndrome, but that an example was given, where Germany doesn't either, but that it occurs under mental health grounds?

You don't think, with consideration to the example, given by Patricia Lohr of BPAS, of a different ground where abortion would be approved - where the abortion is requested on the ground of sex selection - that it would be more appropriate to deal with the man who is subjecting the woman to domestic violence, rather than have an abortion, in this example, where that abortion was originally sought under sex selection?

Great attempt at avoiding the issue that Patricia Lohr conceded that abortions can occur on grounds that were not initially given, but categorized under other grounds.

You don't think that issue is worthy of consideration to discuss that the Oireachtas Committee didn't endorse abortion on grounds of Down's Syndrome, but that an example was given, where Germany doesn't either, but that it occurs under mental health grounds?

You don't think, with consideration to the example, given by Patricia Lohr of BPAS, of a different ground where abortion would be approved - where the abortion is requested on the ground of sex selection - that it would be more appropriate to deal with the man who is subjecting the woman to domestic violence, rather than have an abortion, in this example, where that abortion was originally sought under sex selection?

I don't know nor care who Patricia Lohr is.
    Don't care about down's syndrome (If I was told as a female I was having a DS child I'd think long and hard about termination too)
    Don't know what your point is about sex selection either (I don't think that's the correct term anyway).

This boils down to, a woman wants a medical procedure, and is her doctor allowed to provide it. I say yes and it's not my business why are you even asking. You say no. Can you not see the incredulous hilarity of that.

Do yourself a favour, go read the stories on the "In her shoes" facebook page. These are real stories submitted by real women who have been affected by the 8th amendment. I know they publish real stories because the friend I referred to previously has had her story published there.
    I read a great comment on one, it said "if you're not in tears reading this then you are not a human". And I agree.
    Listen to those who the 8th amendment affects, not some pie in the sky morality that you want to impose on everyone. The kicker is... the friend who had the termination... she was staunchly pro life beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Something like a mother and child scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

There it is, the mask slips. The so-called "on the fence" finally comes out.

You're making it personal now, I like it, that's a tasty recipe for a good threadbanning, so I'll keep it educational.

Abortion is not a form of contraception.

There is no form of contraception that is 100% effective other than abstinence, you really showed your true colours though with the thinly veiled "they know the risk when they have sex" argument. So much for this being your first time discussing this when someone else twigged you were on the previous thread before, eh buddy?

before the super duper educational post comes in, answer these for me like a good boy.

1. Are you pro-life or pro-choice?

2. Are you against abortion in all circumstances?

3. How come you're only going for the pro-choice argument, rather than picking at the pro-life one? Not going to acknowledge the lies and misrepresentation of facts, no?

Sure I'll throw in the educational bit anyways why not, it's late.

There are two sides to this debate, one is consistently twisting and turning all facts and figures to suit them, the other is trying to relay the actual facts across backed up by case studies which support why the 8th should be repealed (the X case, Ms Harte, the others who I'm too tired to go research as I just cannot remember them firsthand unfortunately) which show how the 8th is detrimental to women's health by forcing them to go abroad (in one case even attempting to deny the X girl from leaving the country to have an abortion at 14..) to seek medical procedures that are not made available to them at home due to the extremely strict restrictions on them.

Also, I noticed you never actually answered if you thought abortion was a form of contraception or not. All you've actually done is deflect, deflect and deflect some more.

Typical of that side of the campaign really, can't hold their ground in a reasonable, open and genuine debate so they just deflect and get louder.

I'm fully aware abortion is not a form of contraception, I also understand the terms contraception and birth control are used by some people synonymously.

I'm also fully aware that no form of contraception is no 100% effective but the birth control pill is 99% effective. So are you really arguing over 1%. Unless you are extremely unlucky, then there is no reason why you should get pregnant if you don't want to.

Despite the fact that I'm not on trial and although some posters seem to think that they own this thread where you have to agree with the status quo to post here, I've already stated that I'm in favour of abortion in certain circumstances.

What I still don't understand is and the reason I haven't fully made up my mind:

1. the day after the the 8th is repealed, how will the healthcare issues be addressed?

2. By repealing the 8th amendment, what would have changed that Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act doesn't already address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

<half of youtube>

Mod: horseburger, please be wary of the fact that there are many mobile users that will be reading this thread. Posts like this cause havoc on small screens.

And on a side note; the sum total of video time in that post is 13h 22m 02s. How can you expect anybody reading your posts to spend over half a day on youtube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Mod: horseburger, please be wary of the fact that there are many mobile users that will be reading this thread. Posts like this cause havoc on small screens.

And on a side note; the sum total of video time in that post is 13h 22m 02s. How can you expect anybody reading your posts to spend over half a day on youtube?

Only Dole Scrounging Vegan Crossfitters would have the time to do that! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm fully aware abortion is not a form of contraception, I also understand the terms contraception and birth control are used by some people synonymously.

I'm also fully aware that no form of contraception is no 100% effective but the birth control pill is 99% effective. So are you really arguing over 1%. Unless you are extremely unlucky, then there is no reason why you should get pregnant if you don't want to.

Despite the fact that I'm not on trial and although some posters seem to think that they own this thread where you have to agree with the status quo to post here, I've already stated that I'm in favour of abortion in certain circumstances.

What I still don't understand is and the reason I haven't fully made up my mind:

1. the day after the the 8th is repealed, how will the healthcare issues be addressed?

2. By repealing the 8th amendment, what would have changed that Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act doesn't already address.

repeal is only the first step. the vote is on repeal and legislate. you seem to keep ignoring the second part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement