Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

How is abortion big business? Please, elaborate.[/quot

It's a multi million industry in UK

We aren't in the UK.

Try again.

RobertKK wrote: »
    But her previous personal view which she said was ignorant is the same view that many others hold.
    You can't separate that. Either she sees that view as ignorant or she doesn't.

She's wrongly generalizing the pro-life view. I don't see the pro-life view as ignorant whatsoever, but I do see parts of it as ignorant (like the parts I've previously mentioned regarding forcing a pregnancy on a raped woman).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

We aren't in the UK.

Try again.
    And are you so naive to think that this will not happen here.

We had someone earlier claiming the repeal the 8th was a leftist conspiracy, which aren't normally linked to big business, so could you post links to data showing where the repeal the 8th are being funded by the abortion industry.

Are you so naive to think that this will happen here?

• Advertisement

Are you so naive to think that this will happen here?
    No question about it.

But her previous personal view which she said was ignorant is the same view that many others hold.
    You can't separate that. Either she sees that view as ignorant or she doesn't.

Robert she's taking about herself in the article. Not everyone in the prolife camp is ignorant but there are enough who are to for example change my view from undecided to vote yes due to a loved ones experience of rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But can you honestly tell me that you believe the individuals banned for trolling weren't actually trolling? I'm open to hear all views Robert but come on, one was suggesting that a woman be forced to continue a pregnancy conceived from rape and wouldn't hear or acknowledge any different, can you honestly tell me that was a legit view, or something said to stir up the tempers?

I've had a very brief interaction with a pro-lifer (at least I think he is) by the name of Outlaw Pete and he agrees with abortion to some extent (extreme circumstances, rape, incest, etc).

In a thread and discussion that's gone on this long, how on earth has there been such a brief yet intelligent discussion?

Trolling happens on all forums.
    Not all rape victims who become pregnant want an abortion, as the case can be made the unborn is not guilty for what the father did.
    btw I think the referendum would be more certain if a more restricted regime had been proposed and specific things like rape as a reason for abortion.
    I think the unrestricted 12 weeks proposals has been a positive for the retain side.

No question about it.

Anything else to back up your claim that it will be a multimillion industry in Ireland other than basing it on "because it is one in the UK" ?

£200000000 industry in UK so pretty big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Robert she's taking about herself in the article. Not everyone in the prolife camp is ignorant but there are enough who are to for example change my view from undecided to vote yes due to a loved ones experience of rape.

It is like she once thought 2 and 2 was 4, but now sees that as ignorant as she now sees it as 22.
    It would say she sees the people who still see it as 4 as being ignorant, given she was when she saw it as 4.

Cool but again that's UK and not here.

Have you anything concrete to back up your claim that it will be a multimillion in Ireland rather than your assumption we'll follow suit in terms of the UK?

Cool but again that's UK and not here.

Have you anything concrete to back up your claim that it will be a multimillion in Ireland rather than your assumption we'll follow suit in terms of the UK?
    Do you think it won't going by the guidelines set out by the government?

Nope.

Trolling happens on all forums.
    Not all rape victims who become pregnant want an abortion, as the case can be made the unborn is not guilty for what the father did.
    btw I think the referendum would be more certain if a more restricted regime had been proposed and specific things like rape as a reason for abortion.
    I think the unrestricted 12 weeks proposals has been a positive for the retain side.

OK that's your opinion and that's fine, your entitled to it but it's mine that women should have a choice.

Nope.
    Well then there's nothing more to be said, I really hope you're right but I think not.

Well then there's nothing more to be said, I really hope you're right but I think not.

That's okay, I really hope I'm right too as I've not seen a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise, thanks for your input though.

That's okay, I really hope I'm right too as I've not seen a shred of evidence to suggest otherwise, thanks for your input though.
    Not a bother we wont fall out, 1 in 5 pregnancies in England end in abortion and I don't think if it's legal in Ireland we will be any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Not a bother we wont fall out, 1 in 5 pregnancies in England end in abortion and I don't think if it's legal in Ireland we will be any better.

Mod-Back up that 1 in 5 in your next post or don't post again. Balls in your court.

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-Back up that 1 in 5 in your next post or don't post again. Balls in your court.

The figure I know he's gonna quote doesn't take into account the amount of miscarriages suffered by women in England.

It's a b*llocks figure basically, scaremonger sort of thing. If miscarriages were included it would be nowhere near 1 in 5.

• Advertisement

"Approximately 20% of all pregnancies in Great Britain (excluding spontaneous miscarriages) currently end in abortion."

So it's excluding spontaneous miscarriages. So it more than likely isn't 1 in 5, just 1 in 5 of what you think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I don't see how it's scaremongering, a number equivalent to 1 quarter of all live births are aborted in Britain each year. (England and Wales, I think the numbers are for)

It's excluding spontaneous miscarriages. Which can happen up until 24 weeks (then they are counted as stillbirth).

So the real figure is more than likely a lot less than 1 in 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That’s fake stats from an anti abortions site. Try harder. Being thick is relative but don’t treat people like they are simply cos you believe that

david75 wrote: »
    That’s fake stats from an anti abortions site. Try harder. Being thick is relative but don’t treat people like they are simply cos you believe that

The fact that they don't include spontaneous miscarriages is a giveaway as to the sites credibility.

You can't say 1 in 5 pregnancies end in abortion without taking the above into consideration. We will never know the true number, as conception statistics taken do not include spontaneous miscarriages in any of their gatherings, but their data is unfortunately used negatively to make wild statements as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They again are not taking spontaneous miscarriages into consideration Conspectus, there is no validity in saying 1 in 5 pregnancies end in abortion when quite simply we will never know the true amount due to spontaneous miscarriages not being included in statistics gathering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

That's being a bit obtuse though...

• Advertisement

I'm open to Correction, hope I'm wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement