Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

RobertKK wrote: »
    I would be reported by people here and maybe thread banned because people here would go nuts as reality is too much for them and to appease people I might be sacrificed.

You'd be banned/threadbanned because you'd be posting up what this forum categorizes as a graphic and offensive image.

Have you accepted that the picture you posted is woefully inaccurate yet or are you channeling your inner Mayweather with all this dodge and run?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why exactly is abortion offensive?

you cant see why showing graphic images to a young child is offensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bootpaws

If I found out I was pregnant tomorrow, I'd have an abortion asap. That's just the facts, no matter what posters or ads or lies or pictures you show me. It'd be as early as I could get it, I wouldn't be partying on the ryanair flight, I'd be home within the couple of days and I'd probably be hesitant to go to my doctor for follow up treatment if I had concerns.

What do pro-life people want to do? What lengths do you want to go? Would you catch me in a giant net at the airport and put me in a barn for 9 months? Literally when will the reality of life vs your perception of how beautiful and wonderful and ideal and lovely it should be sink in? Nothing you could say to me would change my situation or my mind. Pregnancy isn't for me. Raising a child isn't for me. I don't feel guilty about that, either. It is what it is.

I and many other women, for reasons varying from economical to immediate health concerns, require those services, and the "lucky" among us will avail of them in the UK at a higher cost and bigger delay.

So what's the plan here? No abortion in our own country, no rights over our own body from the first missed period. Before then, even. We've all heard of women being denied cancer treatments, unable to receive terminations even when their body is slowly being poisoned from the inside until the VERY LAST MINUTE, at which point their health will have deteriorated further.

But those of us who have the means can still travel, of course. It will take longer, I'm sure in the week or two difference the foetus has won gold in the womb backflip olympics. You're not making a fuss about the 13th amendment, as has been mentioned before. So what is it? You want to make a hard decision even harder? You want to potentially make a quick procedure more invasive with the time delays? The pregnancy is being ended either way, so make the b*tches suffer if they really want it?

The reality is abortion will always happen, and you know this. The reality is an amendment granting a foetus equal rights to a woman does nothing, absolutely nothing, but put women in danger, even in a wanted pregnancy.

That's my first and last post here. Imagine that no matter what you may reply, what amazing incredible emotive arguments you may use if you are to quote parts of this post, that I'm hypothetically already on that flight. Because that's reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Doesn't post a genuine picture of an aborted fetus.

Can't understand why people consider it graphic and offensive.

:confused::confused::confused:

In fairness, the only reason I'm voting Yes is because no one's shoved graphic (and probably fake) images in my face. Said. No one. Ever.

On a more serious note though, I'm presuming even Robert knows this kind of tactic won't persuade anyone of the validity of his position. All he can hope for, at best, is that people will be shocked enough to disengage from the discussion and either vote no out of uncertainty or not vote at all. Unfortunately for him, people these days display a bit more empathy than they did in the 80s, and this kind of tactic has a short life span.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You tell us, you are the one offended by it.

The rest of us however seem capable of distinguishing between "X" and "Images of X". I do not think any surgery is offensive or harmful. Depending on context I think IMAGES of surgery can be. I do not think sex is offensive either, but IMAGES of it in the wrong context can be.

That you can not make this distinction is not a fault you need to be projecting on to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭circadian

There is nothing offensive about abortion as someones personal choice.

It IS offensive to publish graphic images of abortions, or any other medical procedure in public places.

To be fair, I just think you're being disingenuous on this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I note that the Poll to repeal the 8th has gradually been increasing. It has gone beyond 73%. Do you think this is much of an indicator of what will actually happen on the vote day?

I expect between 50-50 and 60-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

RobertKK wrote:
    You want a world without reality.
    I work in a hospital lab.

We just received an ante natal screen on a 14 year old girl.

A pregnant child. God knows if her body will be able for this.

That is her reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I would be reported by people here and maybe thread banned because people here would go nuts as reality is too much for them and to appease people I might be sacrificed.

I'm failing to see the downside so far... :D:D
    ....... wrote: »

I have to say, if the legalisation of any medical procedure was dependent on me watching a video of it, we'd all still be using leeches! Especially anything to do with the eyes :eek:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is there any legitimate governance over what both sides can display as advertising on their referendum posters?

I saw one today regarding aborting a baby at six months, yet the referendum is restricted to 3 months.

No matter what side you lie on, that is a blatant and false lie.

Can I formally complain somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You want a world without reality.

Thats your narrative. Strawmanning is your goal it seems.

What we actually want however is a world where we as parents get to choose what aspects of reality to expose our child to in a given order.

Because as parents we know what stage our child is at, what they are capable of, what they are prepared for and more.

Graphic images of such nature bypasses that and can expose children to things that we are parents were not opting to expose them to yet, or had not laid the foundation to prepare them for.

It would be no different than sticking up a large picture of human copulation. Many children at a certain age would not have the basic foundations laid out for them to be prepared to parse such imagery.

But when an agenda is strong enough, clearly you people do not really care what you expose anyone to, or what stage of psychological well being any children may or may not be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is there any legitimate governance over what both sides can display as advertising on their referendum posters?

I saw one today regarding aborting a baby at six months, yet the referendum is restricted to 3 months.

It seems there really isn't anywhere to complain to.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    vote no out of uncertainty

This is the push from the Youth Defense posters: nothing to do with anything except freaking people out and then saying "if you are freaked out vote no".

No, just vote against the lies. Tell other people why you are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You'd be banned/threadbanned because you'd be posting up what this forum categorizes as a graphic and offensive image.

Have you accepted that the picture you posted is woefully inaccurate yet or are you channeling your inner Mayweather with all this dodge and run?

Dodge and run is people wanting to avoid reality of an abortion.
    It is counted as inaccurate as it doesn’t suit the narrative of compassion that the yes side are lying about.

It is not a lie that in certain cases the unborn can be aborted up to the point of viability in the proposed legislation, which would be near the 6 month period.

• Advertisement

It is counted as inaccurate as it doesn’t suit the narrative of compassion that the yes side are lying about.

is the picture you posted an accurate representation of what a 12 week unborn fetus looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You really do have some neck.

is the picture you posted an accurate representation of what a 12 week unborn fetus looks like?

I would post an image of a real 12 week old to compare but people would look to get me banned because they don’t want to deal with reality.

You really do have some neck.

Yet you attack me rather than the post and you talk about having some neck...

I would post an image of a real 12 week old to compare but people would look to get me banned because they don’t want to deal with reality.

So what you're saying is that the picture was not an accurate representation of a 12 week fetus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It seems there really isn't anywhere to complain to.

If they're on an esb poll, contact the esb.

If they're hung at a height less than 2.5 metres, contact the local council.

If they don't display the details of who commissioned AND who printed them call the gards. That covers the "one in five" ones btw, made up a printer.

But apart from that apparently you can say any auld made up bollocks in the run up to a referendum and it's nobody's responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

This is a great example. It's made of plastic but it looks human and elicits our emotional responses. Should we protect the plastic baby because of our perception of this "humanity", whatever that means?

Shall we amend the constitution to protect all things with a human-like face?

Will nobody think of the Barbie Dolls!:D:D:D:D

So what you're saying is that the picture was not an accurate representation of a 12 week fetus?

It is without the umbilical cord and colour is different but looks very human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The reality is that that is not what a 12 week foetus looks like you and I both know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assume then Robert you'd have no concern if I stood outside a primary school and told all of the children leaving that the bible is made-up fairytales, that there is no God, no heaven, or hell, and when you die, that's it, you're gone, you rot in the ground, and everything you ever did and everyone you ever knew and loved will be one day forgotten.

You'd be happy for me to lay out the realities of existence to 4 year olds as they walk out of school, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement