Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

kylith wrote: »
    Do you agree that it should not be considered equal in rights to the woman carrying it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Like telling lies and posting up false images proclaiming them to be fact only to be bounced around by how incorrect you've shown to be?

I am not the one who believes a plastic image with an oversized head is proportionate to a born baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am not the one who believes a plastic image with an oversized head is proportionate to a born baby.

I am not the one who believes a plastic doll to fully resemble a 12 week unborn fetus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

RobertKK wrote: »
    Can you tell the repealers to talk about the unborn too as they seem to forget what an abortion is about.
    Most just talk about women and compassion and trust women, God forbid if they mention the unborn life.

Why don’t you trust women, Robert?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Ush1 wrote: »
    No you didn't.

An argument isn't just contradiction, an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

....... wrote: »

A toenail cell would show it belonged to the foot that the toenail is from. An unborn life dna from the cell would only be linked to that life.

Near 2 hours ago, I will be off soon for the record.

• Advertisement

Like I said, call it what you like. Yep, it doesn't have those things.

That is disingenuous. It will become a human, one that has the features you listed. Including toenails. Nobody would have an issue aborting toenails at a foetal stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

nope,

An argument isn't just contradiction, an argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

....um, great?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ush1 wrote: »
    That is disingenuous. It will become a human, one that has the features you listed.

A simple logical point of order worth pegging a flag into here.

You can not be X and be becoming X at the same time. You are either X or you are not X.

So when you say "it will become a human" what you are also saying is "it is not a human".

For me however the crux of the issue when deciding whether a given entity should have rights, or should be afforded moral and ethical concern, comes from what it is NOW. Not what it may or may not be in the future.

And quite often I get the impression that is the sole actual difference between the two sides of this debate. One wants to grant right based on what it is. The other based on what they imagine it being in the future.

Why don’t you trust women, Robert?

Are you saying women on the retain side trust fellow women? I don’t trust strangers who ask for them to be trusted when they seem to want to avoid talking about the unborn.
    Like this woman whose only argument seemed to be trust women and who avoided the unborn like the plague.

https://twitter.com/mejtom/status/980837272068284416?s=21

Sure, and no ones saying it's not a group of cells, but that is not the same as a toenail.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No it isn't!

A simple logical point of order worth pegging a flag into here.

You can not be X and be becoming X at the same time. You are either X or you are not X.

So when you say "it will become a human" what you are also saying is "it is not a human".

For me however the crux of the issue when deciding whether a given entity should have rights, or should be afforded moral and ethical concern, comes from what it is NOW. Not what it may or may not be in the future.

And quite often I get the impression that is the sole actual difference between the two sides of this debate. One wants to grant right based on what it is. The other based on what they imagine it being in the future.

I deliberately put it like that because of the contentious use of language. I also said, call it what you like.

The fact remains that it's a disingenuous argument to compare it with liver cells and toenails.

You brought rights up as a question and never said what rights you are talking about. Then I am suppose to answer a very ambiguous question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

or theres just a fundamental disagreement on what it actually is, now.
    edit. I'm away for a few hours now,

Indeed.

The point is what it becomes is why their is contention. How is it closer to being a toenail exactly as a matter of interest?

You talked about the unborn having more rights than the woman when it is each have an equal right to life.
    What extra rights are you talking about?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement