Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

ELM327 wrote: »
    SO don't put up any doctored photos of foetuses then ;)

Strange that you find this debate humorous, and I have already mentioned I do not lobby, canvas put up posters or force my opinion on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Does AnneFrank have a history of posting pro-life or disingenuous fence-sitting? If not, I'm not too enamored by the responses to her so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Strange that you find this debate humorous, and I have already mentioned I do not lobby, canvas put up posters or force my opinion on anyone

Would you consider looking at the In Her Shoes page on Facebook? It might help if you are undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I find the likes of the militant youtube video poster humorous as they are ridiculous.
    I find you funny because you are in the same vein, professing initially to be "on the fence" but then you want to vote no to kill Irish women and force them to travel.

Anyway the TogetherForYes crowdfunding seems to have marked this in people's mind. I'd suggest reading the latest MRBI poll. Looks (thankfully) like you and your ilk who supported this amendment in 1983 are dying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

amdublin wrote: »
    voting against it meant a no vote in 83 but means a YES to Repeal in 2018. Do I have that right?!

Exactly. Canvassers looked enthusiastic, anyhow.

• Advertisement

I find the likes of the militant youtube video poster humorous as they are ridiculous.
    I find you funny because you are in the same vein, professing initially to be "on the fence" but then you want to vote no to kill Irish women and force them to travel.

Anyway the TogetherForYes crowdfunding seems to have marked this in people's mind. I'd suggest reading the latest MRBI poll. Looks (thankfully) like you and your ilk who supported this amendment in 1983 are dying out.

Where exactly did I say I was on the fence ?
    Me and my ilk ? Seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

seachto7 wrote:
    Why do you assume they will vote no

I don't assume, the poll says the largest percentage of no voters are over 65, so if you ask and they are a yes happy days if you ask and they are a no then explain

Does AnneFrank have a history of posting pro-life or disingenuous fence-sitting? If not, I'm not too enamored by the responses to her so far.
    Multiple spam posts just stating "Save the 8th".
    Don't be fooled, she's another one like Mr KK, et al.
    amdublin wrote: »
    Would you consider looking at the In Her Shoes page on Facebook? It might help if you are undecided
    +1
    To all the genuine undecideds out there this is a great resource to read personal accounts of how the 8th really hurts our women/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I know many women who would be deeply offended by this post, having miscarried around that mark

They might, though I think the flippancy rather than the factual element would be the cause of the offence.

I've known women who have had similar experiences, but they're still pro-choice. Their reasoning being that their pain was about what the unborn meant to them, about the death of a wanted future, of a collection of ideas and dreams about what was coming, as much as a child. I don't think they feel their loss was the equivalent losing an newborn or infant. Most critically, they understand their experience to be subjective, and that how they feel about it won't necessarily be how someone else feels in the same scenario.

I respectfully disagree, ending a 12 week babies life is very hard for me personally to vote on

Ending a 12 week old babies life is murder and carries a mandatory life sentence.

Nothing to do with this referendum, though.

• Advertisement

Where exactly did I say I was on the fence ?
    Me and my ilk ? Seriously
    Yes, you and your ilk. "pro life".
    You have women's blood on your hands. Savita for one.
    You are responsible for women's infertility - multiple accounts on the In Her Shoes page where women were forced to have parts of their reproductive system removed un-necessarily because Irish doctors were not allowed to give them a termination due to medical reasons.
    You are responsible for introducing risk to the mother's life. The mother should be given priority because she's a real person. A foetus is just that, a foetus. A potential person. What if you save the baby but kill the mother because both are equal, and the mother has 3 other children at home now left without a mother.

That's what gets me. And this is a bit of a rant. You call yourselves pro life. But you're not. You are pro birth. Because someone truly pro life doesn't impose so much hurt and suffering and risk on those who are living.

Yes, you and your ilk. "pro life".
    You have women's blood on your hands. Savita for one.
    You are responsible for women's infertility - multiple accounts on the In Her Shoes page where women were forced to have parts of their reproductive system removed un-necessarily because Irish doctors were not allowed to give them a termination due to medical reasons.

Wow, I'm embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

You should be more embarrassed for yourself, some of the tripe you've posted.
    I will raise a special glass and think of you when celebrating the Repeal of the 8th;);)

30% in the polls I'm embarrassed for you!

Actually, since I'm older than you I don't have to listen to your opinion.
    Remember that little chestnut you posted. ;);):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That poll looks promising but still a long way to go... I stand by my 55/45 prediction... Fingers crossed

RobertKK wrote: »
    Googled and found this from RedC research:

https://redcresearch.ie/brexit-polls-lessons-ireland/

It says almost all undecided in the marriage referendum ended up voting no.

Yes, but note that the point of this article is that the undecideds will break for No in the upcoming referendum... and therefore Brexit will not pass.

How did that one work out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Mother of jaysus, here we are, 5 weeks out to the day &the No side still don't get it.

You are not voting for abortion, abortion is happening every day around you but somehow you are blissfully unaware.
    Should a majority of you vote No there will still be 5,000 abortions carried out by Irish women next year & each year after that.
    You somehow believe voting No protects the sanctity of this god fearing Island.

Voting No only condemns Irish women to travel or order pills online so your vote only inflicts further hardship.

Voting No only condemns Irish women to travel or order pills online so your vote only inflicts further hardship.

As we saw with the 13th, and we have heard from many "pro-life" posters, they know this very well. This is the whole idea. They don't want to stop women going to England, they don't want to see them going to jail for 14 years, they haven't a notion of stopping a single abortion.

They just want to punish women for having sex by making them do the walk of shame to the Ryanair gate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

As we saw with the 13th, and we have heard from many "pro-life" posters, they know this very well. This is the whole idea. They don't want to stop women going to England, they don't want to see them going to jail for 14 years, they haven't a notion of stopping a single abortion.

They just want to punish women for having sex by making them do the walk of shame to the Ryanair gate.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Saw the best Yes side poster this morning "Vote Yes. Sometimes a private matter needs public support". Simple and effective. Anything else is pure whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Travelling to England is only an option for those women with the means to do so.

For me it's a class and social equality issue, and for that reason I'll be voting Yes.

gmisk wrote: »
    That poll looks promising but still a long way to go... I stand by my 55/45 prediction... Fingers crossed
    I'd gladly accept 50.3:49.7 in favour of Repeal, similar to the divorce referendum. We can't take any chances and must canvas and get our friends etc out to vote. No complacency, no let up, no surrender.
    tigger123 wrote: »
    Travelling to England is only an option for those women with the means to do so.

For me it's a class and social equality issue, and for that reason I'll be voting Yes.
    +1 it's now an "abortions for the rich/middle classes" and enforced incubation or debt for the rest. That's not right either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I know many women who would be deeply offended by this post, having miscarried around that mark
    Just so we're clear, you feel that a woman miscarrying at 12 weeks would be the same experience as losing a 12 week old baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Ben Shapiro, far right extremist? Forgive me if I dont listen to what he has to say given his extreme views race, islam, lgbt issues and his links with extreme Far right media like Breitbart.

Nah. I wont be listening to far right fascists like Shapiro or Justin Barrett on this.

I asked the particular poster, what he/she thought of the points Ben Shapiro was making, in response to arguments that are often made to advocate for a wider availability of abortion services.

I did not ask what the poster thought of Ben Shapiro, with regard to Shapiro's outlook, and perspective with regard to a range of issues.

I asked what the particular very courteous poster - who made such nice comments about me, comments that weren't at all off topic in speculating what writing style might be employed in the development of a dissertation - thought of the responding points made, by Ben Shapiro, to arguments that endorse an increase of abortion services.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

<same youtube videos as before and before>

Mod: horseburger, stop posting the same videos over and over. It's becoming borderline spam at this stage.

Bringing other people's views/opinions to the thread is welcome, but repeating the same thing over and over is bringing nothing new.

Just so we're clear, you feel that a woman miscarrying at 12 weeks would be the same experience as losing a 12 week old baby?

Just to be clear, i feel no need to explain the meaning of a post to you.

Mod: horseburger, stop posting the same videos over and over. It's becoming borderline spam at this stage.

Bringing other people's views/opinions to the thread is welcome, but repeating the same thing over and over is bringing nothing new.

but it's fine to attack people and misquote them on numerous occasions as long as you're on the yes side.
    That's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

but it's fine to attack people and misquote them on numerous occasions as long as you're on the yes side.
    That's fair.

Have you reported any of what you think are attack posts to alert the mod to them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Just to be clear, i feel no need to explain the meaning of a post to you.
    Good thing you're not on a discussion forum then. Oh wait.

I think you've realized the stupidity of your post and are now furiously trying to backtrack.
    My OH had a miscarriage around that time (couple of weeks earlier). We now have a 3 month old daughter. While the miscarriage was definitely tough, we don't feel like we lost a baby, more the idea of a baby. I cannot even begin to comprehend how I'd feel if we lost our daughter now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement