Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I noticed on the road out of Malahide, 4 or 5 No posters, and only 1 Yes poster. Down to funding? I've noticed far more No posters around in general.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The Belfast student, who brought a case against the State because she wasn't eleigible to register to vote, has had her case dismissed by the High Court.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/987267643664191489

I honestly don't know why her legal representation took the case. It was plain as anyone could see that she didn't have a hope of succeeding.

Absolutely correct. Why should they be allowed vote in an officially "foreign" referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Saw a woman in Palmerstown today with a Yes poster under her arm. I’d like to think she was putting it up but the cable ties going through it appeared to have been cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The Belfast student, who brought a case against the State because she wasn't eleigible to register to vote, has had her case dismissed by the High Court.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/987267643664191489

I honestly don't know why her legal representation took the case. It was plain as anyone could see that she didn't have a hope of succeeding.
    Because, even when they lose, they get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

RobertKK wrote: »

Canvassing is a brutal indicator of how a vote will go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

seachto7 wrote: »
    I noticed on the road out of Malahide, 4 or 5 No posters, and only 1 Yes poster. Down to funding? I've noticed far more No posters around in general.

There'll be more Yes posters going up soon. Sinn Fein had a launch yesterday and the Social Democrats just got a delivery today:

https://twitter.com/SocDems/status/987257529448230912

But really, to win this, we need to talk to people. And the posters are a good way to start a conversation.

Seeing John McGuirks spin on todays poll is really a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gintonious wrote: »
    Seeing John McGuirks spin on todays poll is really a sight.
    It is kind of hilarious but hey no surprise.
    The fact the no vote dropped by 1% is a really bad sign for them, it would need to be increasing at this stage (Even Keith Mills...gay man who wasnt for gay marriage...) think it is looking like a yes vote.
    The poll is though a massive indicator of lots of undecided people, so still lots of work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

baylah17 wrote: »
    Ah but you see some people believe that women should not have a choice, ever.
    Women need to told whats good for them and do as they are told!:mad:

What about the women who don't agree, and who are voting no.
    I know many by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I know many by the way.

Trust (some) women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

No, not at all. A yes vote does not force any woman to have an abortion she doesn't want. It will have no effect on her or you. A no vote forces a woman who is enduring a pregnancy she doesn't want to either continue with it or travel abroad (if she's lucky enough to be able to). So you are forcing your beliefs on people, despite your desperate (and, quite frankly, laughable) attempts to prove otherwise.

haha i don't think so buddy, but nice try, again.
    Is this another, the idea of winning an argument theory you have as opposed to actually winning one.
    What lovely perceptions you have.

I know many by the way.

Good for them. They have the choice not to get an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

I know many by the way.

Gender has nothing to do with this issue in all reality. This is about consent.

What do you think? If a woman does not wish to consent to becoming a mother, should we as a society force her to become one?

And a related follow-on question: where do you draw the line on consent, if you feel like you can force a woman to become a mother without her consent, what other situations do you feel that her consent is not required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I'm a bit behind, has this been discussed. I looked at a few pages from yesterday but haven't seen anything.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/anti-abortion-lawyers-issue-statement-against-repeal-1.3467540

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know many by the way.
    Those women are almost worse than the elderly men who see fit to enforce their rules on all women.

Dont like abortions? DONT HAVE ONE.
    If you need to have one, they are already happening unsafely (UK travel or random unsupervised pills).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Is this another, the idea of winning an argument theory you have as opposed to actually winning one.

that is the second time you have mentioned Hammer Archer having lovely "perceptions" due to his thinking on how he and his wife viewed a miscarriage they suffered.

It is extremely condescending and inconsiderate and considering the bleating you are doing about being attacked, the mocking tone you are using to someone about how they viewed their own personal trauma is way worse than the supposed attacks you are receiving on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

RobertKK wrote: »
    Trust (some) women.

What a lovely sentiment. What should be done to women who you decide are untrustworthy?

Gender has nothing to do with this issue in all reality. This is about consent.

What do you think? If a woman does not wish to consent to becoming a mother, should we as a society force her to become one?

And a related follow-on question: where do you draw the line on consent, if you feel like you can force a woman to become a mother without her consent, what other situations do you feel that her consent is not required?
    +1
    What type of upbringing and environment will surround an enforced birthed child?.
    A dead mother? Maybe she wanted the abortion for medical reasons.
    A mother in a psych ward? Maybe she wanted the abortion for mental health reasons.
    No food to eat? Maybe she wanted the abortion for financial reasons.
    Born and abused by violent person? Maybe she wanted the abortion for safety reasons, abusive partner or parent.
    A deformed child with no quality of life? Maybe the woman was on Bipolar medication, or received chemotherapy before she knew she was pregnant and the child is going to be an abomination/defect.

Above all... why does ANYONE get to tell that mother and family what to do? This really annoys me. It's so incomprehensible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK enlighten me, how does a yes vote affect you or women who never want to have an abortion?

And why are you attacking my views on my own personal experience of a miscarriage my partner suffered and the birth of my daughter? Bizarre how you are the one claiming to be harassed when you come out with that. Why does my personal experience elicit such a hostile response from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That reply didn't really answer any questions that were put to you, it was just passive aggressive and condescending, as well as dismissive of his experiences.

Is that how you win arguments? Put down the other person until they relent and agree with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

gmisk wrote: »
    It is kind of hilarious but hey no surprise.
    The fact the no vote dropped by 1% is a really bad sign for them, it would need to be increasing at this stage (Even Keith Mills...gay man who wasnt for gay marriage...) think it is looking like a yes vote.
    The poll is though a massive indicator of lots of undecided people, so still lots of work to do.

As much as the NO side need the YES side to fall back, they also need to make improvements themselves, which they aren't. With 5 weeks or so to go, thats grim reading to a degree for them.

Still though, McGuirks attempts at a positive look are great to behold. He has me blocked on twitter though, so I have to use other means to see them. He was also saying that the numbers in the polls dont add up to what they are hearing at the doors, which one would you trust more? Hmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Canvassing is a brutal indicator of how a vote will go.
    Could also be a deliberate misinformation tactic - make things seem closer on the ground to encourage "Yes" campaigners to stick at it.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That reply didn't really answer any questions that were put to you, it was just passive aggressive and condescending, as well as dismissive of his experiences.

Is that how you win arguments? Put down the other person until they relent and agree with you?
    +1. Thankfully that won't work in the ballot box.
    I trust our citizens, and trust that they won't continue to inflict this pain and suffering on our women. I use the hashtag #trustourwomen when canvassing/commenting online but it's not an empty slogan. Trust begins with trusting Irish people to make the right decision

And if they don't, well we'll have another referendum in a couple of years a la the Nice Treaty and Divorce Referendum when the old voters die out and are replaced with non-brainwashed people who instead of clinging to their rosary can see the pain and suffering and death and infertility and delayed treatment that the 8th has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

bruschi wrote:
    It is extremely condescending and inconsiderate and considering the bleating you are doing about being attacked, the mocking tone you are using to someone about how they viewed their own personal trauma is way worse than the supposed attacks you are receiving on here.

The poster has been crying about being attacked ever since she was asked if she had any more to add to the discussion other than repeatedly saying "Save the 8th" and nothing else. A victim complex is her argument, the rest seems to be just fluff so she can go back to painting herself as being bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I know many by the way.

They wont be forced to have abortions ok
    But when the evil 8th is repealed no woman will be forced to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

What a lovely sentiment. What should be done to women who you decide are untrustworthy?

That was the motto in place above the Magdelene laundries and Mother and Baby homes that Robert still reveres and defends
    Kind of like the oul Arbeit Macht Frei that another gang in black used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Seems like alot of people are talking past one another on this thread.

Once the right to the unborn has been removed from the constitution, how can that be dealt with to allay concerns that Pro Life people would have?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Once the right to the unborn has been removed from the constitution, how can that be dealt with to allay concerns that Pro Life people would have?

Information and legislation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Still though, McGuirks attempts at a positive look are great to behold. He has me blocked on twitter though, so I have to use other means to see them. He was also saying that the numbers in the polls dont add up to what they are hearing at the doors, which one would you trust more?

This is a standard line from politicians who are losing: "not what we are hearing on the doorsteps", used to try to stop their voters thinking they've lost already and not bothering to vote. More loser phrases to watch for:

"The only poll that counts is the one on the day".
    "A week is a long time in politics".
    "Just a snapshot in time".
    "A lot can happen before polling day".
    "The momentum is with us".
    "Let's not second guess the people, the choice is up to them"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement