Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It's not an opinion it's a fact. Pregnancy is a state of being, it is not a thing.

I still don't see what point you are trying to make, but regardless, you have no right to have any input on a strangers pregnancy.
    Its none of your business.
    This should be a private matter between a woman and her doctor and not for society to have any input on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's not an opinion it's a fact. Pregnancy is a state of being, it is not a thing.
    Thats not even what the question was.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is a cold a thing? Is a headache a thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

ELM327 wrote: »
    No one is in favour of abortion.
    Legally a foetus 5 minutes before birth is not a person, it is a foetus nearing the end of its gestation.

Interesting how you pick and choose which parts of the law and constitution which suit your argument. If the law was so infallible then we wouldn't be having a vote on this in the first place. If you want to accept the letter of the law then you can accept the constitution as it currently stands.

no pregnant is a state of being, pregnancy is the duration of time for which a woman is pregnant

I am pregnant.
    I have a pregnancy.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I still don't see what point you are trying to make, but regardless, you have no right to have any input on a strangers pregnancy.
    Its none of your business.
    This should be a private matter between a woman and her doctor and not for society to have any input on.

Not when it has an impact on somebody else's life.

Like an unwanted pregnancy?

baylah17 wrote: »
    You need to take some Senakot
    Cure your constipation
    Ah da poor babby jezus
    He told them to abuse the durty huzzies
    Starve their durty bastard brats and then **** them their bodies in septic tank
    Great lad that babby jezus
    Ah God be with the hood ol days

What is this? Lol.

Who exactly? The fetus is not a person? It isn't a born living citizen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Cure your constipation
    Ah da poor babby jezus

Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Green party have launched their posters. Something along the lines of:

Your sister
    Your daughter
    Your neighbour
    Trust the women you know

Very impactful and moving imo

kylith wrote: »
    I am pregnant.
    I have a pregnancy.

Exactly. You are pregnant, you do not have a pregnancy.

Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Cure your constipation
    Ah da poor babby jezus

Cringe.
    Baring in mind you horrible holier than thou posts cringing is the least you should do
    Truth hurts
    It certainly hurt the starved and beaten babies your ilk threw into a septic tank
    Judge not lest you be judged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

If the law was so infallible then we wouldn't be having a vote on this in the first place.

Bull, we can respect the law and change it and improve it at the same time. The law is not something that should be set in stone for all time, but should evolve with us as society and human knowledge evolve.

Great! I agree! But the problem for your narrative is that when a pregnant women aborts her fetus only one "someones life" is affected. The fetus is not a person. It's life can not be described with the linguistics of possession as you do here. It affects a life, but not somebody's life because there is no somebody there.

So I 100% agree rights should be curtailed when it affects somebody else's life. But you are inserting a somebody where none exists. Who is the "somebody" you are referring to exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting how you pick and choose which parts of the law and constitution which suit your argument. If the law was so infallible then we wouldn't be having a vote on this in the first place. If you want to accept the letter of the law then you can accept the constitution as it currently stands.
    Of course it goes without saying that my statement was dependent on the 8th being repealed as it is the only legal instrument that grants a right to life to a non-person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

kylith wrote: »
    I am pregnant.
    I have a pregnancy.

Next.
    Motillium will help cure that verbal diorreha

Cringe.

Such a mature, intelligent response. I'd expect nothing less from someone as staunchly pro-life as you. Well done for making a fool of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Next.

Pregnancy is a noun so it’s perfectly valid to say “a pregnancy”. Where on earth did you learn English?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

So what would you say to the couples who have to travel if the 8th is retained?

The 8th amendment is a dangerous law that causes harm, suffering and distress to women every day. It isn't just about abortion, it effects the maternity care of every single woman.
    It isn't picking and choosing. We aren't advocating euthanising newborns here.
    You are playing two entirely scenarios off each other to try to make your point, but it won't work.
    There is a massive difference between a WANTED pregnancy being terminated early due to the health of mum or baby, and the heartbreaking cases of FFA where an abortion is requested due to the circumstances of the child.

• Advertisement

schrodingers pregnancy!
    Careful now with that there science talk. It's lost on the no side, the magic teapot told them so.
    I wouldn’t tar all Protestants with the same brush. The prods up north and from the USA are both fanatical about life beginning at conception and have been major financial contributors to a lot of Save the 8th campaigns in Ireland over the years.

In fairness, norn iron and the deep south in the US are both basket cases in religious terms.
    Cure your constipation
    No it's not constipation for sure the amount of sh1te flowing is the opposite lol

Bull, we can respect the law and change it and improve it at the same time. The law is not something that should be set in stone for all time, but should evolve with us as society and human knowledge evolve.

Great! I agree! But the problem for your narrative is that when a pregnant women aborts her fetus only one "someones life" is affected. The fetus is not a person. It's life can not be described with the linguistics of possession as you do here. It affects a life, but not somebody's life because there is no somebody there.

So I 100% agree rights should be curtailed when it affects somebody else's life. But you are inserting a somebody where none exists. Who is the "somebody" you are referring to exactly.

But you have accepted that it is a life and I assume that you accept that it is wrong to end somebody else's life, so why do you think it is ok to abort the life of an unborn child?

Cringe.
    Back to your "one liners" I see.

Save The 8th.
    Save the 8th
    Extreme Feminists

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

So what would you say to the couples who have to travel if the 8th is retained?

I’m sure they say something like “I’m alright Jack, so I don’t give a flying F about you and your troubles”.

But you have accepted that it is a life and I assume that you accept that it is wrong to end somebody else's life, so why do you think it is ok to abort the life of an unborn child?
    It is unborn and as such is not a person and does not have independent life.

Seriously. This has been done.
    Where's that pro forma response gone.

Next.

You say 'Exactly' and then you contradict what I said...

I have a pregnancy.

Like 'a pregnancy', it's not something you can pick up and take away but you still have a headache or a cold.

Back to your "one liners" I see.

He/She only drops in here to make snippy remarks and judge everyone.
    What a waste of time.
    Adding absolutely nothing to the conversation, not replying to anyone who took the time to reply to bother to him/her, dismissing other peoples experiences as inferior, the list goes on.
    Just repeating the same on liners over and over again.

Birth is when they said the child’s right to life begins! Stop twisting their words.
    No one is in favour of abortion.
    Legally a foetus 5 minutes before birth is not a person, it is a foetus nearing the end of its gestation.

So five minutes before a child is born it is not a person??? Birth is an event, it is not magical process that converts a foetus into a person.

So five minutes before a child is born it is not a person??? Birth is an event, it is not magical process that converts a foetus into a person.
    But it is though.
    Seriously.
    They like, hand out certificates and everything now.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=ELM327;106782909]Careful now with that there science talk. It's lost on the no side, the magic teapot told them so.

In fairness, norn iron and the deep south in the US are both basket cases in religious terms.

No it's not constipation for sure the amount of sh1te flowing is the opposite lol[/QUOTE]

As opposed to your argument where a foetus magically turns into a person during birth. Very scientific.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement