Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

Why focus on his views on other issues, rather than discussing why he holds certain views about the various groups that are campaigning, on this issue of the repeal of the Eighth Amendment?

He is a newspaper columnist. It is hardly surprising, that depending on the issue being discussed, that he might explore a contrarian viewpoint on a particular issue, and examine the arguments for and against that contrarian viewpoint.

I disagreed with comments he made about bus services, during the Bus Éireann strike last year.

That doesn't mean that I disregard all the perspectives he takes, on other issues, about which he writes, in his role as a columnist in the Irish Independent.

Why focus on his views on anything?
    Who cares what he thinks?
    What does it have to do with repealing the 8th amendment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

As adults we understand that there are risks involved with being in sexual relationships and the consequences of those risks, regardless of the precautions we take.

by that "logic" when smokers present at hospitals with lung cancer they should be told to jog on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Bull****. So you want to tie people down to raising kids together just because they decided to have sex together? Who are you to force that notion onto anybody? What kind of society would that result in?

I'm not forcing a notion onto anyone. They are the ones choosing to have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Why focus on his views on other issues, rather than discussing why he holds certain views about the various groups that are campaigning, on this issue of the repeal of the Eighth Amendment?

He is a newspaper columnist. It is hardly surprising, that depending on the issue being discussed, that he might explore a contrarian viewpoint on a particular issue, and examine the arguments for and against that contrarian viewpoint.

I disagreed with comments he made about bus services, during the Bus Éireann strike last year.

That doesn't mean that I disregard all the perspectives he takes, on other issues, about which he writes, in his role as a columnist in the Irish Independent.

Because your original quotes that Ian O’Doherty made were his accusations that some Repealers were “acting as if they are morally superior”. My quotes showed that Ian O’Doherty himself sees himself as morally superior to Muslims and gays who want to get married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

As adults we understand that there are risks involved with being in sexual relationships and the consequences of those risks, regardless of the precautions we take.

My partner has a heart-shaped uterus and a medically diagnosed weak womb, so regardless of any precautions we take, any pregnancy we have gone through (apart from this one which has been all good so far at 27 weeks with a baby girl in there) there was a very, very high chance she was going to miscarry, or the baby would have died further along.

Based on your soundbite, I shouldn't even consider having sex with her, due to the above information. See your logic? We have gone through too many miscarriages and have had an abortion across the water where she was not liable to have support or aftercare.

Despite my belief against abortion, imagine my anger, that my partner could not have this in her own country because technically what's wrong with her isn't a threat to her life and isn't deemed a threat enough (despite the numerous miscarriages) to a pregnancy.

We didn't qualify for the very strict measures put in place, if the 8th was repealed, we would qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

SO people who don't want children should remain celibate?

Should we refuse treatment to alcoholics? Smokers?
    How about extreme sportpeople?
    People that get knocked down crossing the road?
    They know the risks.............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ah, so we’re back into weaponizing children into punishments to be inflicted on their ‘careless’ parents.
    We don’t trust these women to make an informed choice, but we forced the burden and responsibility of parenthood on them no problem.
    Can’t be trusted with a choice, can be trusted with a child, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

amdublin wrote: »
    Amy Huberman has today tweeted her support for repealing the 8th amendment

Fabulous.

Therefore we should all stop considering the pros and cons of repealing the amendment, and the uncertainty about what will be covered under subsequent legislation.

Now that Amy is supporting repeal, we don't need to consider the serious issue of the capability of public representatives - who many of us view with cynicism, in any other scenario, where many of us see public representatives as taking voting decisions in the Dáil and Seanad, with regard only for their political careers - to legislate on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kk333

by that "logic" when smokers present at hospitals with lung cancer they should be told to jog on

Your seriously comparing lung cancer to pregnancy? Your own logic isnt great bud.

kylith wrote: »
    So someone in a relationship who either does not want children or does not want more children should not have sex with their partner until after menopause? Which can be anything up to age 50.

ETA: I take it you would also criminalise men who abandon their children?

I suggest they use birth control as it is intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bingo, mask has slipped. Another one who is shaming women for having sex for pleasure.

And if it fails? Tough sh*t on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Don't bother, when pushed on certain points the poster has declined to comment on questions asked. Not worth your time.

I’ve been following the thread, so I’m well aware of the posters m.o.

I just posted that in the hope that it might stop 2 pages of posts about IO’D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

That’s very helpful advice to someone who is already in the midst of a crisis pregnancy. The damage has been done at that stage, not that your advice is of any use.

That's what I did, it failed.

zedhead wrote: »
    But you said before if you dont want to get pregnant you wont?

Now you're saying it can happen but if it does tough sh*t, deal with the health implications, life restrictions, financial limitations that you may not be able for.

Do we deny medical treatment to those who engage in high risk sports? They knew the risks so they should just deal themselves with the consequences right.

As I've said, ad nausea, I'm in favour of abortion where there is a serious risk to the life or health of the mother.

January wrote: »
    That's what I did, it failed.

No you didn't

As I've said, ad nausea, I'm in favour of abortion where there is a serious risk to the life or health of the mother.

So you will be voting to repeal the 8th then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So again: people who do not want to have children should choose not to have sex, ever? Even if they're married or in a LTR?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

Pathetic!

So your problem is with recreational sex? Is that shameful to you? Does the thought that other people have sex but have no wish to procreate make you feel uneasy?

So repeal the 8th then. We were denied an abortion because the medical experts who examined my partner deemed that a heart-shaped uterus and weak womb was not a serious enough grounds to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Kk333

bubblypop wrote: »
    They know the risks.............[/

You cant seriously be comparing pregnancy to that? "People who get knocked down crossing the road"? I think the yes campaign does more to hurt itself sometimes.

Even used totally perfectly it has a failure rate.

No you didn't

Are you for real? January (although I don't know her personally) has been nothing short of an absolute pillar for the 8th campaign in what she has done, are you seriously questioning whether or not she misused the birth control pill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

No you didn't

And you know this how?

Kk333 wrote: »
    bubblypop wrote: »
    They know the risks.............

You cant seriously be comparing pregnancy to that? "People who get knocked down crossing the road"? I think the yes campaign does more to hurt itself sometimes.

But people are saying that abortion shouldn't be available because people know there is a risk of pregnancy. People who engage in sport know that there are risks involved.

No you didn't

You tell me how I didn't use it properly, go on.

• Advertisement

Kk333 wrote: »

I think posting up lies, misleading posters, twisting statistics is more damaging to the pro-life campaign than what bubblypop said is to the pro-choice campaign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement