Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

SusieBlue wrote: »
    For some people having an abortion IS taking personal responsibility. Just because it isn’t a choice you would make doesn’t make it a wrong one.

It is in the best interests of neither women nor babies to have parenthood forced on them, to teach them some sort of life lesson.

You are weaponizing children into punishments to be bestowed on their ‘careless’ mothers m. Which leads me to believe you are pro-birth, not pro-life.

Because if you cared about the life that child would be born into at all, you’d trust the mother when she says she CANNOT do it. You would believe her and not force a child into a situation where it’s unwanted.

But nobody is forcing you to have sex. It's a choice. You are choosing as an adult to have sex and surely you know that there is a risk that you could get pregnant regardless of whether you take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There are very few guarantees in life with the exception of death and taxes. What you're effectively saying is that I want access to abortion in the event that my contraceptive pill fails i.e. abortion should be a form a birth control because I don't want to take responsibility for my decisions in life.

If you don't want to have children, there is no reason why you can't have sex and avoid pregnancy unless you are extremely unlucky or reckless, this is a fact which every medical professional will tell you. If you are in an adult relationship and want to enjoy sex then go ahead and tear the mattress to shreds, but if you become pregnant even though you took precautions then that is your tough luck! You knew the risks but wanted the rewards. We don't get everything we want in life all of the time and these arguments of the imaginary victims and the marginal cases to try and prove and point which you have no interest in defending hold no water. It's called personal responsibility or is that the part of the conversation where you stick fingers in your ears while you clock up 5000 posts in a year and complain how you never got the same opportunities as everybody else in life.

It must be great living in your Ivory Tower never making a mistake or having bad luck.

At this stage I’m inclined to think you’re either incredibly naive or incredibly stuck in your pious ways.

There’s no point in engaging with you. There’s no rational discussion to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This economic argument really doesn't hold up. Ireland is not some economic backwater or third world country. Pro Choice advocates trying to make out that Women are travelling across the Irish sea with two and sixpence is nonsense.

I'm earning about €100 a week with a car to run, a loan to pay off and a postgrad to fund. Tell me exactly how I can afford to travel to the UK on a day return flight and pay for an abortion? Tell me that, since you seem to know so much.

If you don't want to have children, there is no reason why you can't have sex and avoid pregnancy unless you are extremely unlucky or reckless,
    You knew the risks but wanted the rewards..

And what if I am unlucky? You believe I should be forced to be pregnant for 9 months? I should be forced to give birth? To a child I don't & never will want?

What about the risks people take with alcohol, smokers, sportsmen? Should we refuse to treat them also because they knew the risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

But nobody is forcing you to have sex. It's a choice. You are choosing as an adult to have sex and surely you know that there is a risk that you could get pregnant regardless of whether you take precautions.

What a naive, unrealistic viewpoint. Sex is part of any healthy relationship.
    I’m not going to stop having sex with my boyfriend just because my contraception might fail and we don’t want a baby right now.
    Pull the other one.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    It must be great living in your Ivory Tower never making a mistake or having bad luck.

At this stage I’m inclined to think you’re either incredibly naive or incredibly stuck in your pious ways.

There’s no point in engaging with you. There’s no rational discussion to be had.

I've made plenty of mistakes, probably more than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

This economic argument really doesn't hold up. Ireland is not some economic backwater or third world country. Pro Choice advocates trying to make out that Women are travelling across the Irish sea with two and sixpence is nonsense.

Lucky you! Never had to draw the dole.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

There are very few guarantees in life with the exception of death and taxes. What you're effectively saying is that I want access to abortion in the event that my contraceptive pill fails i.e. abortion should be a form a birth control because I don't want to take responsibility for my decisions in life.

If you don't want to have children, there is no reason why you can't have sex and avoid pregnancy unless you are extremely unlucky or reckless, this is a fact which every medical professional will tell you. If you are in an adult relationship and want to enjoy sex then go ahead and tear the mattress to shreds, but if you become pregnant even though you took precautions then that is your tough luck! You knew the risks but wanted the rewards. We don't get everything we want in life all of the time and these arguments of the imaginary victims and the marginal cases to try and prove and point which you have no interest in defending hold no water. It's called personal responsibility or is that the part of the conversation where you stick fingers in your ears while you clock up 5000 posts in a year and complain how you never got the same opportunities as everybody else in life.

Fair play to you if you fancy the ride and can stop to evaluate all the consequences :pac:

What a naive, unrealistic viewpoint. Sex is part of any healthy relationship.
    I’m not going to stop having sex with my boyfriend just because my contraception might fail and we don’t want a baby right now.
    Pull the other one.

Nobody is asking you stop having sex, where has anyone suggested that you stop having sex?

So all this about repealing the 8th as a healthcare issue is just a ruse because you want abortion to be available as a form of birth control in case you contraception fails.

Also can I just point out that this thread keeps getting heated because of the inflammatory, aggravating posts being made by one person.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you if you fancy the ride and can stop to evaluate all the consequences :pac:

I knew what the consequences were before I got the ride which is where the personal responsibility part comes in. Sorry if the didn't teach you that outside the pale.

Nobody is asking you stop having sex, where has anyone suggested that you stop having sex?

So all this about repealing the 8th as a healthcare issue is just a ruse because you want abortion to be available as a form of birth control in case you contraception fails.

Why are you getting personal? Lose the attitude.

I would never have an abortion but I support other women’s right to make that choice.
    I don’t believe that anyone would use it as birth control, least of all me, so that’s more naivety on your part.

You said if someone doesn’t want to get pregnant, don’t have sex. That’s not normal in a healthy relationship. It simply isn’t.
    And it’s of f*ck all use to someone already in the midst of a crisis pregnancy. Not very helpful advice from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

If you don't want to have children, there is no reason why you can't have sex and avoid pregnancy unless you are extremely unlucky or reckless , this is a fact which every medical professional will tell you. If you are in an adult relationship and want to enjoy sex then go ahead and tear the mattress to shreds, but if you become pregnant even though you took precautions then that is your tough luck! You knew the risks but wanted the rewards. We don't get everything we want in life all of the time and these arguments of the imaginary victims and the marginal cases to try and prove and point which you have no interest in defending hold no water. It's called personal responsibility

You really are an unbearably ignorant piece of work.

I can only assume you are a virgin or some sort of sterile hermit.

The thousands and thousands or Irish women suffering daily are not imaginary.

The 8th will be repealed and you can suck it.

I knew what the consequences were before I got the ride which is where the personal responsibility part comes in. Sorry if the didn't teach you that outside the pale.

Having an abortion IS taking responsibility for some people. Don’t worry, I’ll keep repeating until you understand.
    Your ignorance is astounding. You must be so lonely up on that high horse you’ve no hope of getting the ride, no crisis pregnancies for you!

Having an abortion IS taking responsibility for some people. Don’t worry, I’ll keep repeating until you understand.
    Your ignorance is astounding. You must be so lonely up on that hihh horse you’ve no hope of getting the ride, no crisis pregnancies for you!

Having an abortion is also considered killing an unborn child for some people. We can keep repeating that until you understand.

No it won't. You know, I know it and most of the posters on here know it.

Most rational people will accept abortion in cases where the mothers life and or health is at serious risk but that's not what is being proposed and even if the 8th was repealed it still wouldn't address those concerns. What most people on here and those who favour repeal really want is unrestricted access to abortion right up until birth, and this argument about it being a healthcare issue and the epidemic of imaginary victims going to England is just a ruse to get the 8th repealed so you can try and legislate for abortion on demand.

Not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Tickers, how can I afford to go to England?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

tretorn wrote: »
    My partner has a heart-shaped uterus and a medically diagnosed weak womb, so regardless of any precautions we take, any pregnancy we have gone through (apart from this one which has been all good so far at 27 weeks with a baby girl in there) there was a very, very high chance she was going to miscarry, or the baby would have died further along.

Based on your soundbite, I shouldn't even consider having sex with her, due to the above information. See your logic? We have gone through too many miscarriages and have had an abortion across the water where she was not liable to have support or aftercare.

Despite my belief against abortion, imagine my anger, that my partner could not have this in her own country because technically what's wrong with her isn't a threat to her life and isn't deemed a threat enough (despite the numerous miscarriages) to a pregnancy.

We didn't qualify for the very strict measures put in place, if the 8th was repealed, we would qualify.

Have you ever thought about having a vasectomy.

I wouldnt think any medical person would be in favour of another abortion if your partner has a weak womb. Maybe should you think about taking responsibility for birth control.

Thats your responsibility first and foremost and it takes precedence over your desire for legal abortion.

The alleged deep concern for the unborn always seems to contrast with complete lack of concern for everyone else.

Having an abortion is also considered killing an unborn child for some people. We can keep repeating that until you understand.

No one will be forced to have an abortion. You can continue to not avail of abortion services and it will make no difference on your life.

You have no right to interfere or have any input on the life of another person. You sound like a total busybody and you are coming across as extremely ignorant.

. What most people on here and those who favour repeal really want is unrestricted access to abortion right up until birth.

OMG, we are caught out!!
    Yep, that's what we really all want, go out get pregnant whenever we feel like it & wait until we are 7 1/2 months pregnant to try an abort it.

You sound about 14. Have you any idea Of The real world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

What most people on here and those who favour repeal really want is unrestricted access to abortion right up until birth , and this argument about it being a healthcare issue and the epidemic of imaginary victims going to England is just a ruse to get the 8th repealed so you can try and legislate for abortion on demand.
    No one has said they want abortion up to birth. That's insane and not even proposed.

Stop ignoring the ACTUAL, REAL, HUMAN BEINGS that have and continue to go abroad for abortions.
    There are stats to prove it.

I know today is 4/20 but please lay off the crack pipe.

No it won't. You know, I know it and most of the posters on here know it.

Most rational people will accept abortion in cases where the mothers life and or health is at serious risk but that's not what is being proposed and even if the 8th was repealed it still wouldn't address those concerns. What most people on here and those who favour repeal really want is unrestricted access to abortion right up until birth, and this argument about it being a healthcare issue and the epidemic of imaginary victims going to England is just a ruse to get the 8th repealed so you can try and legislate for abortion on demand.

Not going to happen.

Can you please quote exactly where, word for word, someone said they were in favour of unrestricted abortion up till the moment of birth? Thanks in advance, I’d love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

There you go, shameful sex. That’s it, isn’t it? Sex is shameful and those who are caught out should be shamed. That’s what you really want, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Why are you getting personal? Lose the attitude.
    Don’t worry, I’ll keep repeating until you understand.
    Your ignorance is astounding. You must be so lonely up on that high horse you’ve no hope of getting the ride, no crisis pregnancies for you!
    You sound like a total busybody and you are coming across as extremely ignorant.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    You sound about 14. Have you any idea Of The real world?
    I know today is 4/20 but please lay off the crack pipe.

Can you please quote exactly where, word for word, someone said they were in favour of unrestricted abortion up till the moment of birth? Thanks in advance, I’d love to see it.

I did, to be fair. I believe that a woman has an option to choose to not become a mother at any time she chooses. It’s a consent issue, for me, is a woman has a choice to refuse her consent to become a mother. And as with all consent, there’s no time limit.

Other people can view things differently if they choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I try and think the best of people and to think that the likes of John McGuirk and Youth Defence don't reflect people with pro-life views, that most of them are probably decent, reasonable people who think they're doing the right thing.

This thread makes that very difficult. Repeated efforts to derail it through megaposts, very obvious lying about being on the fence, and again, like 9 times out of 10, it boils down to "stop having sex ye floozies".

No matter the result, I'll need to rebuild my Faith in human decency and human intelligence a good bit after the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Tickers, Do not post in this thread again. Reason- Trolling and being a dick.

SusieBlue and Martina1991 24 hour thread ban. Reason- Personal abuse(24 hours instead of perma cause ye were provoked). Please don't post till 8pm tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Oh we understand THAT this is your position. The basis and explanation for that position however we tend not to understand.

Mainly because when any robust discussion on the matter comes up people of your sort shout "Human" at the issue and then, basically, run away. Never explaining what exactly it is about a 12/16 week old fetus we should be valuing at that level and in this context. Whether in isolation and/or in relation to the pregnant women for whom we should have moral and ethical concern.

As you did earlier when you forgot to be ignoring my posts, but then having replied to one you went right back to ignoring them again.

Nobody wants abortion available as a contraceptive. By saying that you are completely ignoring all of the situations where abortion in Ireland is necessary, not least the personal stories that people on here have taken the time out of their sunny Friday to tell you. They’ve opened up and shared painful experiences of their own lives just to show you, Rogelio Tinkling Cue, why they support the repeal side. And you ignore all of them, for what? Because you are afraid of casual sex?

Get over your issues with sex and leave the rest of society out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Guys, please don't reply to Tickers, S/he can't reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement