Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

thee glitz wrote: »
    How are we not voting on whether we endorse abortion :confused:?

You can pretend that your vote has any meaning you like. It’s really simple, I even explained it in really easy to understand language but I’ll try again, as I said in the post you replied to: those abortions will happen whether you vote Yes or No. All your No vote will achieve is causing hassle for the women involved, because they need to travel to a foreign country as opposed to discussing their situation with their own local doctor in an Irish clinic.

Your No vote saves no babies and prevents no abortions and if you think it will you are only codding yourself.

You are not being asked to endorse abortion in this referendum. You are being asked to allow women who are currently legally bound to avail of a service in a foreign country, to avail of that service here in Ireland.

I'm far from convinced that the 8th doesn't save lives - why is the relative instance of women having abortions done in England or Wales giving Irish addresses much lower than that for locals? We're well entitled to make decisions for ourselves without reference to the UK or anywhere else.

Regarding addresses, who would bother giving their Irish address in a foreign country for a matter such as this? We all know dozens of people that live and work in the UK, if you could check in that kind of detail you’ll find friends using local UK addresses. Not that it’s any of your business.

As for well entitled to make decisions for ourselves - LOL - why don’t you offer the women of Ireland this courtesy?!

Anyway, you have no say whether these abortions happens, like I said, unless it’s you having an abortion, your input in that decision is not required. Those abortions will happen - just in a foreign country. Please vote Yes and let Irish women avail of these services at home with their own doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

How are we not voting on whether we endorse abortion :confused:?

I'm far from convinced that the 8th doesn't save lives - why is the relative instance of women having abortions done in England or Wales giving Irish addresses much lower than that for locals? We're well entitled to make decisions for ourselves without reference to the UK or anywhere else.

At the moment, restrictive abortion regimes Eg what we have. Has the effect of increase second trimester abortions. The abortion still happens, just at a far later stage. You have to arrange to travel, sometimes you have to save. Other route that people go in that scenario is to acquire abortion pills and have an abortion with no medical support. These scenarios both occur at the moment.

Only people you prevent from having abortions are those without fiscals means to fund one or somebody who can't travel. That's a pretty inhumane scenario that is created with eighth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭Blahblah2012

All your No vote will achieve is causing hassle for the women involved, because they need to travel to a foreign country as opposed to discussing their situation with their own local doctor in an Irish clinic.

Hassle? Sure why bother wearing a condom? Sure we can always go to the local GP and get the foetus crushed, ground up...and sucked out with a hoover.

WHAT''S UP DOC???? Any chance you can take care of a LITTLE PROBLEM for me?

Your No vote saves no babies and prevents no abortions and if you think it will you are only codding yourself.

YEAH YEAH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Hassle? Sure why bother wearing a condom? Sure we can always go to the local GP and get the foetus crushed, ground up...and sucked out with a hoover.

YEAH YEAH

What a fantastically mature addition to the discussion, thank you for enlightening us all. Just when it gets back to being a respectful, mature and constructive discussion, great.

What a fantastically mature addition to the discussion, thank you for enlightening us all. Just when it gets back to being a respectful, mature and constructive discussion, great.

Truth hurt does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

The proposed legislation from the citizens assembly is abortion up to 12 weeks. Nothing you describe above is therefore accurate. The termination occurs merely by taking pills.

Even if a surgical abortion was being performed, it would not be a GP doing it.

And who says that a woman seeking an abortion was not using condoms?

So three for three, you appear to be making stuff up there. But if memory serves you were the one who compared the SSM referendum to you wanting to marry your horse, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

pitifulgod wrote: »
    At the moment, restrictive abortion regimes Eg what we have. Has the effect of increase second trimester abortions. The abortion still happens, just at a far later stage. You have to arrange to travel, sometimes you have to save. Other route that people go in that scenario is to acquire abortion pills and have an abortion with no medical support. These scenarios both occur at the moment.

As someone who has witnessed first hand what a woman goes through after taking those pills I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

In our case we were prescribed the pills due to a missed miscarriage and we had been told what to expect, had prescription painkillers and knew that help was on hand if we needed it.

We didn’t, but seeing how frightened, pained and scared my girlfriend was makes me wonder how the women forced to do this with illegally bought pills manage it.

YEAH YEAH
    If you're concerned about surgical abortions which is what you're describing, a gp will not be doing surgical abortion. However a restrictive abortion regime increases the occurrence of surgical abortions by virtue of forcing a woman to travel... Also plenty of pregnancies occur even when protection is used. Not 100%.

Truth hurt does it?

Well it wasn't truth.

So nah.

Still have that attitude after reading the situation myself and my partner were in?

pitifulgod wrote: »
    If you're concerned about surgical abortions which is what you're describing, a gp will not be doing surgical abortion. However a restrictive abortion regime increases the occurrence of surgical abortions by virtue of forcing a woman to travel... Also plenty of pregnancies occur even when protection is used. Not 100%.

Oh sorry I forgot that..get those pills into ya...that will POISON the LITTLE BUNDLE OF HASSLE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

YEAH YEAH

What do you think of robs situation, where his wife has a chance of miscarrying a pregnancy, and being able to take charge of an issue, before it develops into an issue?

Well it wasn't truth.

So nah.

Still have that attitude after reading the situation myself and my partner were in?

Just telling it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

Do you trust women from England and Wales? Where there is more than one abortion for every four live births.

Why wouldn't someone trust women from England and Wales? Is there an inherent need for distrust?

Oh sorry I forgot that..get those pills into ya...that will POISON the LITTLE BUNDLE OF HASSLE

That is also factually incorrect. Medical abortions do not work by poisoning the fetus. Perhaps you conveniently just "forgot" that too? Perhaps the "truth hurts" as you say, which is why you have not yet moved to offer any of it.

Where? You have not told anything like it actually is yet. Everything you have written so far today is false, made up, and assumption.

You didn't forget, you wanted to have the most graphic shock value. You also are intent on portraying women in the most negative of terms. Literally no effort to try and understand a woman in that scenario. Reflects on you rather than the woman.

So tell me your opinion of the situations my partner and I have been in then, if you're telling it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

YEAH YEAH

Cos that’s exactly what happens if a woman goes to her go to request the abortion pill. There’s loads of crushing, grinding, hoovering.

No camp peddling lies, what a shocker!

You were in the no camp for the marriage equality vote too. How are things back there in the dark ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

AKA I have an "Opinion" and haven't really thought about it, but I want everyone to be damn sure they hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

To be honest, we're on the same page, I'm against abortion but what am I meant to do? My partner has an medically diagnosed abnormality that doesn't affect her health or the babies health during pregnancy, the baby will be developing absolutely fine, but if they've implanted in the wrong area of her uterus they will develop perfectly healthy but the sac will rupture and the baby will unfortunately pass. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, against abortion but unfortunately I need and want my partner to have legal access to it here in her own country without having to travel.

We've been told no, so now despite my views on abortion, I must vote to repeal, as otherwise it'll be a vicious cycle of implantation, hoping the baby has implanted in the right place, if not, prepare for miscarriage. It doesn't ever get easier but at least with legal abortion we'll be better off.

Your situation is easy to sympathise with. Ideally, there would be recognition of various levels of 'needing' an abortion. Indeed there are, but only after a nominal 12 weeks. I believe there would be strong support for allowing your partner, or any woman, to have an abortion carried out in the case of an inevitable miscarriage. The thing is though that that's not being prioritised - abortion on demand has been offered as the consequence of repealing the 8th and it's entirely disgraceful that this is so given the level of opposition to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BarleySweets

YEAH YEAH

Are you really this naive? What age are you?

When do you ever speak to your doctor like that, for any medical reason? No, I doubt you do. So why do you think women would speak to their doctor like that about a medical procedure as serious as abortion?

Oh wait, unless you are joking? Are you joking? Is abortion a joking matter for you? Is women seeking medical attention a joking matter for you? Why would you joke about such serious topics? You must be some man for the craic, not only are to a top grade jokester but you think you’re better than every woman in Ireland? Top marks to you, my son. I am sure your mates love you as much as you think they do.

Luckily for everyone, you’re not entitled to make any medical decisions for any woman in the country (unless you’re a woman yourself, you can make decisions for yourself in that case obv). Your No vote won’t save any babies and your No vote will not stop any abortions. All your No vote will achieve is making you feel smug and satisfied with yourself as your vote will force Irish women to continue to use foreign medical services for procedures that they should be discussing openly with their own Irish doctors in local clinics.

• Advertisement

That is also factually incorrect. Medical abortions do not work by poisoning the fetus. Perhaps you conveniently just "forgot" that too? Perhaps the "truth hurts" as you say, which is why you have not yet moved to offer any of it.

Please tell us more...

Where? You have not told anything like it actually is yet. Everything you have written so far today is false, made up, and assumption.

Please tell us how they kill babies in a NICE way? Do they do it in Laura Lynn,

Are you really this naive? What age are you?

When do you ever speak to your doctor like that, for any medical reason? No, I doubt you do. So why do you think women would speak to their doctor like that about a medical procedure as serious as abortion?

Oh wait, unless you are joking? Are you joking? Is abortion a joking matter for you? Is women seeking medical attention a joking matter for you? Why would you joke about such serious topics? You must be some man for the craic, not only are to a top grade jokester but you think you’re better than every woman in Ireland? Top marks to you, my son. I am sure your mates love you as much as you think they do.

Luckily for everyone, you’re not entitled to make any medical decisions for any woman in the country (unless you’re a woman yourself, you can make decisions for yourself in that case obv). Your No vote won’t save any babies and your No vote will not stop any abortions. All your No vote will achieve is making you feel smug and satisfied with yourself as your vote will force Irish women to continue to use foreign medical services for procedures that they should be discussing openly with their own Irish doctors in local clinics.

I don't think MURDERING BABIES ON DEMAND is a joking matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Truth hurt does it?

Tell me Blahblah did you ever marry your horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

3 years since your last post ( SSM referendum )

Do you just "tell it like it is" for referendums ?

amcalester wrote: »
    Tell me Blahblah did you ever marry your horse?

Noné of your business

Please tell us more...

Glad to. Ask some relevant questions, or continue to tell open lies, and I will happily answer the former and correct the latter. Any time you like.
    Please tell us how they kill babies in a NICE way?

This thread is about abortion, which is the termination of a pregnancy resulting in the termination of a fetus. IF you want to ask about infanticide you are in the wrong place.

Neither of which this thread is about. Firstly the fetus is not a baby. Secondly "on demand" is not exactly what happens. Rather people request an abortion and perhaps they are given one. They may not.

You're not exactly conducting yourself with maturity around the topic.

gctest50 wrote: »
    3 years since your last post ( SSM referendum )

Do you just "tell it like it is" for referendums ?

I do yeah..dig deep much?

Your situation is easy to sympathise with. Ideally, there would be recognition of various levels of 'needing' an abortion. Indeed there are, but only after a nominal 12 weeks. I believe there would be strong support for allowing your partner, or any woman, to have an abortion carried out in the case of an inevitable miscarriage. The thing is though that that's not being prioritised - abortion on demand has been offered as the consequence of repealing the 8th and it's entirely disgraceful that this is so given the level of opposition to it.

I appreciate the input. I really do wish that was the case but we've had miscarriages as late as 19 weeks.

I know it isn't ideal and I don't mean to come across like a dick to you whatsoever but the way I see it, if it's "on demand" or unrestricted, then I'll take it, it sounds horrible but I don't have as much care for everyone else as I do for my partner, I have to make do with what's being offered so I'm voting to repeal.

Appreciate the mature and constructive conversation though, and that you can relate and see the points of my partner having access to legal abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Apt user name for the idiotic posts you have contributed so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement