Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mohawk wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that Liverpool Women's Hospital has reduced access for self-referrals.I found out this evening while reading in her shoes Facebook page.

For those who may not know this is usually where Irish couples go for abortions in cases of FFA. Basically any Irish families in this situation right now don't really have anywhere to go.

Found an article confirming same https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/british-hospital-cuts-abortion-services-to-irish-women-1.3431919

Yeah I posted about this earlier on in this thread they should never have had to look after our people anyway but they did. Its horrible they're in this predicoment

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

amdublin wrote: »
    The crazy thing is that if the 8th is repealed, there is no impact or change for the people who are against it.

But. For the people who need abortion and maternity healthcare here in Ireland the change and impact is immense.

Repeal the 8th
    Trust women to deal with their own personal medical care.
    I totally agree with you ..... just take a look at this photo from RTE news this morning .. look at the audience  - everyone looks to be over 60, and most of them men! 
    [font=montserrat, sans-serif]Hundreds attend pro-retain event in Co Mayo[/font]
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0422/956321-social-democrats/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m seeing reports on Twitter this morning that ”Yes” posters have been completely removed in areas of the city. If true, that’s a horrible act.

http://twitter.com/YvieNi/status/988176133865820162

http://twitter.com/thomasbibby/status/988297276547362816

http://twitter.com/davidtobin100/status/988142036036542464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

A fingal worker was photographed removing just yes posters in Dublin over the weekend also. Didnt remove no posters even if they were on same lampost. He was in a fingal work van.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,586 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Recently there was an item in the news about a group of 100 solicitors and barristers signing a letter advocating against repealing the 8th.

Anyone know where one can obtain a copy of such a letter? I'd like to see who signed it. A few names were mentioned, 4 or 5. But not all. Google's not helping.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I have to laugh at the guy saying get on the vote Yes train if you don't like that some posters were taken down :pac:

Sure who wants informed voters making decisions rationally on the facts and their personal morals :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Igotadose wrote: »
    Recently there was an item in the news about a group of 100 solicitors and barristers signing a letter advocating against repealing the 8th.

Anyone know where one can obtain a copy of such a letter? I'd like to see who signed it. A few names were mentioned, 4 or 5. But not all. Google's not helping.

Thanks
    I saw it at one stage... Will see if I can track it down... Someone did some research and about half the people on it are neither...

Edit list is here
    https://www.save8.ie/100_lawyers

Example of how it's full of holes... Hilariously Cora Sherlock... Isn't even a registered solicitor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Last week there was a thread about No posters being vandalized and there were heaps of people coming on and saying stuff like "I was going to vote yes, but the yes sides antics have changed my mind".
    I'm sure these same people will have their mind changed back now that Yes posters are being removed. Right? Right?????

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

RobertKK wrote: »
    No, it is a general block of pro-retain the 8th people, one doesn't have to be offensive, abusive or troll to get on the repeal shield list.
    It is is just a censor for people who only want to hear people who agree with them, to confirm their opinion, with opposing opinion blocked out so they can live in their bubble.
    I think it will be a shock when the repeal the 8th fails for the people who used the repeal shield as they will have kept themselves in ignorance of the other side.

To be fair a lot of the repeal shield blocked accounts are bots with nasty graphic imagery. Completely understandsble why it is used. Why would anyone subject themselves to graphic imagery bot attack?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Do you trust women from England and Wales? Where there is more than one abortion for every four live births.

Yes. Why do you sit in judgement against them?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭circadian

One thing that has me puzzled is a Save the 8th poster that states "Join the rebellion".

What rebellion? Surely saving the 8th is maintaining the status quo, repealing it would be closer to a rebellion would it not?

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Juran wrote: »
    [font=montserrat, sans-serif]Hundreds attend pro-retain event in Co Mayo[/font]
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0422/956321-social-democrats/

What a ridiculous story. The efforts the media go to for so-called balance:

An actual political party, the Social Democrats with 3 TDs, launches their referendum campaign. RTÉ cover the story, as they should.

But they shoe horn it in after 300 farmers in Mayo meet to oppose them, and the headline is "Hundreds attend pro-retain event in Co Mayo". Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

gmisk wrote: »
    I saw it at one stage... Will see if I can track it down... Someone did some research and about half the people on it are neither...

Edit list is here
    https://www.save8.ie/100_lawyers

Example of how it's full of holes... Hilariously Cora Sherlock... Isn't even a registered solicitor

Just for the craic there I picked 10 random names and checked the law society register. Only three are actually registered solicitors.

Also I see the name of a solicitor that operates in my local area. The same solicitor I know for a fact was struck off for fiddling their books a few years ago.

I'd take that list with a fair pinch of salt.

circadian wrote: »
    One thing that has me puzzled is a Save the 8th poster that states "Join the rebellion".

What rebellion? Surely saving the 8th is maintaining the status quo, repealing it would be closer to a rebellion would it not?

:confused::confused:
    If they said join status quo
    People would think they were joining a terrible soft rock band?
    :)

circadian wrote: »

I think it is similar to the way every young No voter starts by announcing how outnumbered and unusual they are. They are trying to paint divorce-contraception-samesexmarriage-abortion as the new oppressive society, as if that will make pre-Vatican II Latin Mass Catholicism edgy and rebellious.

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Just for the craic there I picked 10 random names and checked the law society register. Only three are actually registered solicitors.

Also I see the name of a solicitor that operates in my local area. The same solicitor I know for a fact was struck off for fiddling their books a few years ago.

I'd take that list with a fair pinch of salt.
    As would i... But some people could clearly accept it on face value :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

I think you need to give people more credit.

Even if all 100 were actual lawyers with certificates who had not been struck off, why would that carry more weight than 100 plumbers or 100 business analysts?

If they are trying to hint that their legal expertise tells them there are no problems with the 8th and we should trust them on this... eh, lads - the problems have been in the papers and everything. This'll be the 4th referendum trying to fix them. They are not some secret that only lawyers know about and ye can hide in your briefcase and pretend it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have to laugh at the guy saying get on the vote Yes train if you don't like that some posters were taken down :pac:

Sure who wants informed voters making decisions rationally on the facts and their personal morals :p

everybody except the No side. They want women to make decisions based on the morals of the NO side not the womens own morals.

Last week there was a thread about No posters being vandalized and there were heaps of people coming on and saying stuff like "I was going to vote yes, but the yes sides antics have changed my mind".
    I'm sure these same people will have their mind changed back now that Yes posters are being removed. Right? Right?????

the silence from them is deafening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

What a ridiculous story. The efforts the media go to for so-called balance:
    QUOTE]

I checked this story as well. There are over 100,000 people registered as living in Co. Mayo. Over 12,000 registered as living in Castlebar and all they could get is 300 auld wans getting in out of the cold.

Terrible headline trying to make something out of nothing.

Repeal all the way - body autonomy for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/anti-abortion-posters-fail-to-take-account-of-life-1.3470187

Nail on the head this one. Something that the NO side never seem to mention or cover...the woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

baylah17 wrote: »
    No
    Listening to her a lot of her friends in the Bridge Club and other groups she's involved in are either voting yes or are abstaining as they see it as young people's issue
    Her words

Bridge you say...she is a wise woman but I am not sure you'd get the same thinking from the older ladies playing "Progressive" 25 in 6s or 9s near me ;)
    I play myself and trust me, these are god fearing women who would not dare row against Roman thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Putinbot wrote: »
    Poll results
    448905.png

David Norris would be President and Sinn Fein would be in power if boards.ie polls decided things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/anti-abortion-posters-fail-to-take-account-of-life-1.3470187

Nail on the head this one. Something that the NO side never seem to mention or cover...the woman.

The No campaign can't risk introducing the woman into the argument, doing so would lead to uncomfortable discussions about their stories, denied medical treatments etc rather than the discussions about abortion which is a much more emotive topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

amcalester wrote: »
    The No campaign can't risk introducing the woman into the argument, doing so would lead to uncomfortable discussions about their stories, denied medical treatments etc rather than the discussions about abortion which is a much more emotive topic.
    Do people on the no side use the term "abortion"? I though they use "kill babies" instead. Keep the emotions as high as possible.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do people on the no side use the term "abortion"? I though they use "kill babies" instead. Keep the emotions as high as possible.

Emotions high, intellect low. It's a useful formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

So we're all voting no then?

So we're all voting no then?

1400419395950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Yes posters finally got up over the weekend around my area. It was great to see them but I had to laugh as I was driving today. Nobody has cut them down, but they're all turned in to walls/gardens etc so that nobody can them. It was ridiculous, but also oddly clever so I just ended up laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just got an email from the TogetherForYes campaign that started off with "Dear David". I was very confused until i remembered i made my donation to them in the name of David Quinn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement