Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

In fairness is there anybody in the Social Democrats that has any personal appeal?
    Catherine Murphy for me definitely she is excellent.
    She was like a dog with a bone on DOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What happens here with the Sinn fein are murdering scum and i could never share their values brigade?

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭optogirl

In fairness is there anybody in the Social Democrats that has any personal appeal?

I actually really like the majority of them. They don't seem to be careerists in the same way as the other parties

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mikeecho wrote: »
    I haven't seen it, have you a pic of it ?
    There's a pic up above;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106803835&postcount=8085
    Mary Lou doesn't either.

You see this all the time though, "Public meeting" notices, that are basically some politician's face on a lamppost, so people don't forget who they are.

I personally think it reflects badly on the individual when a politician uses these kinds of campaigns to get their face up on lamppost, but maybe Sinn Fein have done their homework and found that it's worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What happens here with the Sinn fein are murdering scum and i could never share their values brigade?

Do they vote no now?

well luckily people are intelligent enough to go beyond "I dont like those people so i'll do the opposite of what they are doing just because" levels of thinking.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    There's a pic up above;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106803835&postcount=8085

Mary Lou doesn't either.

You see this all the time though, "Public meeting" notices, that are basically some politician's face on a lamppost, so people don't forget who they are.

I personally think it reflects badly on the individual when a politician uses these kinds of campaigns to get their face up on lamppost, but maybe Sinn Fein have done their homework and found that it's worthwhile.

Yes but if you put her face on a poster you dont even need to put sinn fein on them. People just know. She has brand recognition that i dont think the social democrats do.

Yes but if you put her face on a poster you dont even need to put sinn fein on them.

They could do it in plain text without her face like the other parties: "The Army Council Says Vote Yes or Else".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

290712_54_news_hub_235364_656x500.jpg

Ditch the black Mary Lou and sack the stylist while you are at it. Doesn't take much to imagine the rest of the outfit, black leather gloves, black jack boots and the balaclava about to go on.

They could do it in plain text without her face like the other parties: "The Army Council Says Vote Yes or Else".

well thanks for completely ignoring the point i was trying to make and settling for a cheap shot at the lady.

well thanks for completely ignoring the point i was trying to make and settling for a cheap shot at the lady.

That's no..

Oh, do the rest yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

FG and FF aren't campaigning at all.

Leo was out canvassing with Dublin West Together for Yes on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

If the referendum is passed, does that mean any woman will be able to go to the doctors for an abortion, or will there still be checks in place?

By checks in place at the moment are you talking about the ferry port or airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Bredabe

FG and FF aren't campaigning at all.

Interparty meeting for a no vote happening close to me this weekend.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

January wrote: »
    Leo was out canvassing with Dublin West Together for Yes on Friday evening.

Yes, and I'm sure Micheál will do his bit, too, and they will be joined by pro-repeal members of their parties. The fact remains that FG and FF, as parties, are not campaigning on this referendum at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

well luckily people are intelligent enough to go beyond "I dont like those people so i'll do the opposite of what they are doing just because" levels of thinking.

I'm not so sure, i know a lot of people from up around the border regions and they genuinely will not go anywhere near anything Sinn fein put their name beside.
    As far as they're concerned Sinn Fein is the I.R.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, and I'm sure Micheál will do his bit, too, and they will be joined by pro-repeal members of their parties. The fact remains that FG and FF, as parties, are not campaigning on this referendum at all.
    "Targetted" campaigning I imagine will be the order of the day.

They want to balance two things:

1. They don't want to lose voters by going in full blast and getting punished by the "no" voters at the next general election
    2. They don't want the referendum to become about how much you like the government/parties.

Actually, it's probably just the first one, but I do appreciate them not campaigning because the second point. There are always a couple of idiots who'll vote against a referendum so as to punish a sitting government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

If the referendum is passed, does that mean any woman will be able to go to the doctors for an abortion, or will there still be checks in place?

I imagine one of the first checks will be to see if the woman is pregnant so, no, it won't be a case of any woman being able to get an abortion.
    seamus wrote: »
    Mary-Lou's poster looks like a bit of a cheap publicity grab - branding & marketing, associating her face with Sinn Féin.

The Social Democrats have no faces on their posters. Does any other party?

The Green Party have people on their posters. I think they're regular women who volunteered (i.e. not Green Party politicians).

https://twitter.com/greenparty_ie/status/987287977750663168

I think these and the Labour "Compassion in a crisis" posters are the best overall, and I like the leaflet that FG published over the weekend as well.

I'm not so sure, i know a lot of people from up around the border regions and they genuinely will not go anywhere near anything Sinn fein put their name beside.
    As far as they're concerned Sinn Fein is the I.R.A.

well then you know a lot of, quite frankly, ignorant people.

well then you know a lot of, quite frankly, ignorant people.

That's what i told them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

Politicians putting their faces on Yes posters just reeks of treating this issue as a political football.

But hey, I'll take whatever support I can get at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Wombatman wrote: »
    Ditch the black Mary Lou and sack the stylist while you are at it. Doesn't take much to imagine the rest of the outfit, black leather gloves, black jack boots and the balaclava about to go on.

All black is slimming..

There's a reason she's in all black

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I cannot vote in the referendum at all, but if I were to vote I was going to vote repeal until I saw on the posters that at 9 weeks a child in the womb can yawn and kick and now that's sort of changed my view now on abortion (if its accurate information that is) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I cannot vote in the referendum at all, but if I were to vote I was going to vote repeal until I saw on the posters that at 9 weeks a child can yawn and kick and now that's sort of changed my view now on abortion (if its accurate information that is) ...

The woman carrying it can yawn and kick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I cannot vote in the referendum at all, but if I were to vote I was going to vote repeal until I saw on the posters that at 9 weeks a child can yawn and kick and now that's sort of changed my view now on abortion (if its accurate information that is) ...

It can, but they’re unaware impulses. It’s like your leg twitching. The brain isn’t hooked up enough at that age for it to ‘decide’ to do anything.

A 9 week old child can absolutely do those things. However a 9 week old foetus is not the same as a child, it hasn't developed a brain or a nervous system for example.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The woman carrying it can yawn and kick as well.

Yeah? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Andy, I appreciate your input. They can yawn as early as 9 and a half weeks but it's usually 10-12 weeks.

I understand your hesitation, I don't agree with abortion myself but here's my situation.

My partner is 27 weeks pregnant with a baby girl, however before this we have suffered countless miscarriages due to her having a uterine abnormality (she has a heart shaped uterus) - basically this means that unless a baby implants in a certain area, my partner will lose the baby. All of our miscarriages have occured due to the baby implanting in an area that cannot support the size or volume of the amniotic sac which eventually will rupture due to the pressure placed upon it by the sides of the uterine wall (the latest we got to was 19 weeks).

Medical professionals have denied us access to abortions because technically my partner's health is not at risk nor is the babies (the baby will be absolutely fine and healthy, her waters will just break anyway and the baby will pass away). My partner does not meet the requirements for a legal abortion on Ireland because the medical professionals are of the opinion that due to the outcome of the pregnancy resting solely on where the baby implants, we can (and we currently are) having a successful pregnancy.

However this means that whenever the baby is not in the right place my partner is forced to carry it until she eventually miscarries it and has to deal with the heartbreak.

Despite my own views on abortion I do not think it is fair she has to suffer miscarriage after miscarriage instead of being able to legally have an abortion (where she will be surrounded by doctors and nurses with direct access to medical care versus randomly having her waters break and the baby passing shortly thereafter wherever she is) so I'm voting to repeal.

I hope this gives you a different bit of insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The reality is that this referendum isn't really about abortion. On average 11 Irish women have an abortion every day. Women who want/need an abortion can and do get them one way or another. It's about healthcare. Right now women of childbearing age have limits on the healthcare we are offered. Women carrying non viable pregnancies are left without adequate, compassionate treatment. Certain fertility issues can be left to get needlessly worse. Damage can be allowed to occur needlessly to our bodies. Even in the case of happy, healthy pregnancies our autonomy is removed from our maternity care. Sometimes women die. Because of the 8th.

The 8th doesn't save ''baby's" lives but it does risk, harm and even end women's.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I hesitantly approached my male family members over the weekend to suss out what way they're gonna vote. Hubby is staunchly yes, but I was wondering about my brothers and my elderly father. Brother number one, innocently supping on tay and raiding his poor sister's larder, when pressed exclaimed "Oh I'm voting no! If I have to crawl on my hands and knees I'm voting no!" I was dismayed, I prepared to discuss it with him so I asked him why. He said that for too long this country has dictated to women what they should do with their bodies and it was well past time we copped on and moved with the times. The poor women and girls, he said and what they have to deal with. Glad I'm a man etc.
    I softly enquired "Do you mean you're voting yes?". He said "I dunno, am I? I want to see the 8th repealed." Duh! Just as well I asked him.:rolleyes::pac:

Brother number 2, a bit later on, sniffing around the coffee. This was more straightforward. I barely had the question out and he expressed more knowledge then I would have given him credit for on the matter. Another yes.

Another yes from Dad. He reckons it's a crazy situation, but ignore the posters, which he declared were mostly lies anyway (his words). He said "Jaysus do they think we're all stupid?!" Another yes. The men in my life kind of surprised me. I don't know why I expected anything less.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

^ Make sure they all are registered, especially in the case of Brother #1, not to single him out or anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement