Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bubblypop wrote: »
    Middle age & old people were a lot younger in 1983. Even if they were eligible to vote then, a lot voted against the 8th. Many of them now will vote repeal because they have seen the harm it does.
    I don't think people should write off older people. I'm now in my forties, & I never had a vote on this issue.

A lot of older people who voted yes to insert the 8th amendment are now voting yes to repeal it. Because they have seen the impact

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

baylah17 wrote: »
    I caused women to die
    Needlessly
    Painfully
    You monster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

gmisk wrote:
    John Mc Guirk playing a blinder isn't he... Does he honestly think things like this are going to endear him to anyone?

Very democratic, calling for a significant portion of the population to not be allowed a chance to vote.

Of course, if most of the student population were going to vote No, he'd be giving out that they aren't given several days off to ensure all of them can travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

bubblypop wrote: »
    Middle age & old people were a lot younger in 1983. Even if they were eligible to vote then, a lot voted against the 8th. Many of them now will vote repeal because they have seen the harm it does.
    I don't think people should write off older people. I'm now in my forties, & I never had a vote on this issue.

I am old !! And I and all my siblings and friends will be voting Yes . We have seen the pain and we know how it can harm the health of women . I could not vote No and watch women suffer because I chose not to help them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

surely traditional middle aged, old people and religious people should have been factored into that?- think they will vote NO

Here is one " old " one who will vote Yes . And I am not alone in that at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Hoes need abortions. Discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Wombatman wrote:

How did I know that was going to be a pro-life video before I even pressed play?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Wombatman wrote: »

They don't "need" abortions, but the choice to have one, should be there, if they so wish.

It's all about personal choice.

Very democratic, calling for a significant portion of the population to not be allowed a chance to vote.

Of course, if most of the student population were going to vote No, he'd be giving out that they aren't given several days off to ensure all of them can travel.

So many jokes about his college time political asperstions and emails running through my head right now, him and Katie must have had a good natter about this.

My girlfriend is pregnant and I don't want to be a father
    I don't like using condoms

REPEAL

How do you think my slogans will go down at the next march? Constructive criticism welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

When are we going to have an actual public debate on the issue?

All I see is posturing from both sides at the moment.

Polls in the last week have an increase in undecided voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wombatman wrote: »

Gonna post the full video so every one can get the reality of that speech or am I gonna have to do it for you ?

Sick of hearing about bloody posters. Theres not enough. They are not in the right place. They are on the wrong poles. They are too low. The council took them. The tidy towns dont want them. They are flapping. The cable ties will be left behind. The wind blew them around. They dont have publisher. Theres none in x town. On x road.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

How did I know that was going to be a pro-life video before I even pressed play?

It's not actually . It's from the March for choice a few years ago just cleverly edited to suit an agenda as per usual. Robert tried to use it in the other thread but was called out on it then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

January wrote: »
    Gonna post the full video so every one can get the reality of that speech or am I gonna have to do it for you ?

Post the full one before the edited one gets buried in the thread

gctest50 wrote: »
    Post the full one before the edited one gets buried in the thread

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1224728841006221&id=191023254376790

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Here is one " old " one who will vote Yes . And I am not alone in that at all

Thank you. I just wanted to say thanks, really

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

How do you think my slogans will go down at the next march? Constructive criticism welcome
    Go home your drunk

gmisk wrote: »
    Go home your drunk

If only it was that simple.

Second one should be I don't like wearing condoms, where is the nearest STI clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

gmisk wrote: »

John Mc Guirk playing a blinder isn't he... Does he honestly think things like this are going to endear him to anyone?

Given his own nefarious unprincipled past in student politics its actually laughable. He really is an odious narcissist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Nice of you to not reply to pretty much any of my post all the same.

sorry not intentional - am dipping in and out of this thread and its fast moving ....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

God this is such an emotive subject
    I am in principle against abortion but also think it should ultimately be up to the woman to decide until that 12 weeks limit within Ireland (and thank god it's not the same as the UK). Beyond that I think it's just becoming too human to be able to be thought of something you can get excised from your body (with some exceptions like where rape is the cause and maybe it was not known about the pregnancy)
    I have no qualms about a fetus being any more than that til it's birth, and where it becomes more parasitic in it's nature towards the health of the mother then I would agree a termination at any stage should be allowed without question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Given his own nefarious unprincipled past in student politics its actually laughable. He really is an odious narcissist.

He continues to play a blinder.

He should be pissing off people considering the stance his is taking. That is the nature of a contentious issue.

The guy knows his stuff and will argue with anyone.

The YES side on the other hand don't seem to have to answer to anyone.

Public debates ASAP, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I think that this is a non issue.
    It's all about personal choice ,personal responsibly, and medical responsibility.

No-one will be forced to have an abortion.

It will be performed by consent.

Consent... Consent by the woman carrying the fetus/child

Personal choice. Personal freedom.

The world isn't going to end because of this, no-one is forcing any one to have an abortion.

Vote whatever way you like,
    But it's important that you vote.

No point in being a keyboard warrior.

voter-early-vote-often.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

He should be pissing off people considering the stance his is taking. That is the nature of a contentious issue.

Students ask for time off to vote and this is is the pro life, "love both" response? What good will come from a press release like this? The No side haven't budged in polls since January, and needlessly antagonistic PR like this and isn't going to help his position one iota.

If anything, it's just going to push people towards Yes. So, I suppose, keep it up :D

There is taking a stance AND there is rudely, agressively and obnoxiously taking a stance.

Can you defend his obnoxious put downs of young people? Do you agree with him that young people are buffoons who shouldnt vote? Do you agree with him that students are not normal people?

Terry Pratchet

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Students ask for time off to vote and this is is the pro life, "love both" response? What good will come from a press release like this? The No side haven't budged in polls since January, and needlessly antagonistic PR like this and isn't going to help his position one iota.

If anything, it's just going to push people towards Yes. So, I suppose, keep it up :D

I am beginning to think he knows pro life is losing and he is trying to rally the base in order to get a no vote as high as possible.

Kinda hilarious in ways that someone who encouraged safe digital sex with gloves about 15 years ago while involved in student politics is so extremely anti student and illiberal on sex now. He made his name in student politics. Now he wants to f*ck students over.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

[McGuirk]The guy knows his stuff and will argue with anyone.

You think he's obnoxious and argumentative now, wait until No loses. His real joy is attacking everyone on his own side in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Sick of hearing about bloody posters.

One more observation: the Yes posters are OK to look at, mainly green and white, some purple, a few female faces, positive messages. The No posters are black and red, hostile, negative and ugly to look at - even the ones without gross photos on them.

I drove around Galway, a well-postered zone, and the nastiness of the No message radiating from every pole is intense.

I do not think this is a good way for No to engage folks on the fence, it is as if they just dusted off their 1983 posters, they are behaving as if they still have a crushing majority on their side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I was talking to a couple of young lads at the weekend, at football, we are looking at losing a few students from our teams locally for the summer.
    They're off on their J1 for the summer, 2 are off on the 18th of may, where my wife works a couple of part time student girls are off at around the same time, well before the poll, I wonder how many will students will actually be gone before the day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement