Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

RobertKK wrote: »
    A life and death matter doesn’t end with a referendum. No side will be happy if they are on the losing side.
    If No loses they still believe in the fundamental right to life of the unborn.
    If Yes loses they still believe it that killing the unborn life is a human right.

You are being disingenuous. The Yes side does not believe that killing the unborn is a human right. You know this though, so you must be trying to provoke a reaction.

We are not fighting for our right to kill the unborn. We are fighting for our right to hold womens health and lives before that of the unborn, if we choose to.
    The right to full bodily autonomy. The right to the maternity care we deserve. The right to consent and withhold consent, if we choose to.

I guess its easier to just misrepresent us as a bunch of loons baying for the blood of babies just for lols.

By your logic I could state that the Pro-Lifers believe in the right to torture and control other women - but I wouldn't say that because it isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's a transcript. Basically, pregnant mothers that eat carrots, the children will like carrots, pregnant mothers that eat licorice, the babies won't hate anise.

And there was me thinking it’d be calculus or an appreciation for impressionist art.

That’s a perfectly sensible evolutionary adaptation to ensure that offspring will find local foods palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If No loses they still believe in the fundamental right to life of the unborn.

Well, no. The hard-core of extremists will, but most No voters will just shrug, say "Oh well" and go on with their lives. That hard core is enough to get 50 people with suspiciously professional placards to a protest, but no-one will care.

I guarantee that if Yes passes, this will not be an issue at the next election. No-one bar the Deranged False Pope Latin Mass Party candidates will even mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

I think if alot of these younger Yes voters actually understood the actual process of an abortion, they would be horrified. It's easy to sugar-coat everything for them though.

Mod: Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think if alot of these younger Yes voters actually understood the actual process of an abortion, they would be horrified. It's easy to sugar-coat everything for them though.

I think if the younger No voters actually understood how the 8th affects women's' healthcare they would be horrified. It's easy to sugar-coat everything for them though.

....... wrote: »

There is a hard core: The FG government of the day on the advice of the AG wanted to use a much simpler wording to just keep abortion illegal but the prolife crew led by Binchy were not happy with that, they wanted to establish a positive right to life. It was, as we all can see, a disaster, and was not a launching off point for an international recognition of that right as they hoped, but they are not going to drop it.

The referendum isn't just about abortion.

I think if alot of these younger Yes voters actually understood the actual process of an abortion, they would be horrified.

Take two tablets and come back tomorrow is horrific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Most early term abortions are by pill and essentially resemble a miscarriage, or even a particularly heavy period. Remember that women have periods every month and early term miscarriages are sadly quite common. It’s unpleasant but part of normal life for women.

A surgical abortion is rarer and obviously not a pleasant experience. Our proposed legislation means that most abortions will be early term and not require surgical intervention.

One could also say that any form of surgery is unpleasant but necessary. How about open heart surgery or popping out an eyeball to correct a detached retina? (both of which I have had done, not pleasant but necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The referendum isn't just about abortion.

Then why does the government have proposed legislation ready to allow unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks and longer in other cases if people vote yes?
    Abortion is the Centre of all this.

What process exactly?
    The one where the woman takes a few pills, then experiences something like a very heavy period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Would you deny brain surgery because the process is gorey?

Most abortions can be chemical and before 12 weeks so scare-mongering about horror is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jim Jeffries did a bit on the 8th last night. I went back a few pages but didn't see it posted. Apologies if it's a repost.

Then why does the government have proposed legislation ready to allow unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks and longer in other cases if people vote yes?

I didn't say it wasn't about abortion, I said it wasn't just about abortion.
    Its easier to focus on how awful abortion is for the anti-choicers though, so that they don't have to think or worry about how the 8th negatively effect maternity care for everyone.

No, repealing the 8th is centre. Abortion is after.
    I was asking you earlier Robert if you feel abortion should be permitted in any circumstances?

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, repealing the 8th is centre. Abortion is after.
    I was asking you earlier Robert if you feel abortion should be permitted in any circumstances?

I am not a supporter of needless killing dressed up as compassion and healthcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How do I stop the Love Both adverts appearing in my browser

They seem to be bombarding me with images of foetuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,992 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    How do I stop the Love Both adverts appearing in my browser

They seem to be bombarding me with images of foetuses
    If it's on youtube report them as "spam" and/or "irrelevant".
    If it's on facebook do not engage them on any level (do not react "angry") as any engagement at all will drive more ads.

If it's on page "banner" ads ran by google you can report them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I am not a supporter of needless killing dressed up as compassion and healthcare.

Hi RobertKK. Can you fill us in on some of the lies the Yes campaign has been telling?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ELM327 wrote: »
    If it's on youtube report them as "spam" and/or "irrelevant".
    If it's on facebook do not engage them on any level (do not react "angry") as any engagement at all will drive more ads.

If it's on page "banner" ads ran by google you can report them aswell.

when they popped up on FB i reported them as misleading. haven't seen one since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

You seemed to have missed my point to you somehow.
    And what of cases like mine Robert, was I looking to "kill" my unborn children when my partner and I knew she was doomed to miscarry them?

Under what circumstances are you ok with abortion? What conditions are necessary to meet your own personal standards of an acceptable abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yes I'm not surprised - what has become so apparent is that the anti-brigade are shockingly deficient in compassion despite their zygote-glorification. They don't give a single solid sh*t about the hurt they are causing to grieving families, girls & women in dangerous situations which a pregnancy exacerbates, rape victims -some of whom are children themselves or families facing into the long journey of dealing with a FFA with f*ck all support from their own state. Nobody is dressing up abortion - abortion is not a wonderful thing, but in many many varied & individual circumstances it is required. If many of these fertilisation zealots would get off their own moral high horse for a second they might just realise that their dogmatic approach hurts more lives than it protects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

optogirl wrote: »
    Yes I'm not surprised - what has become so apparent is that the anti-brigade are shockingly deficient in compassion despite their zygote-glorification. They don't give a single solid sh*t about the hurt they are causing to grieving families, girls & women in dangerous situations which a pregnancy exacerbates, rape victims -some of whom are children themselves or families facing into the long journey of dealing with a FFA with f*ck all support from their own state. Nobody is dressing up abortion - abortion is not a wonderful thing, but in many many varied & individual circumstances it is required. If many of these fertilisation zealots would get off their own moral high horse for a second they might just realise that their dogmatic approach hurts more lives than it protects.

Also explains Robert's frequent characterization of Repeal Shield as a way for "snowflakes" to engage in echo chamber discussion. Not, you know, a way for women who endured trauma and loss to avoid getting spammed with photos of dismembered fetuses just for retweeting a pro-choice tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Grayson wrote: »
    Jim Jeffries did a bit on the 8th last night. I went back a few pages but didn't see it posted. Apologies if it's a repost.

Absolutely poetic stitch up of Justin Barrett. The symbolism of making him travel to London for the interview, brilliant!

....... wrote: »

Do the gullible see the lies?
    Why would I want to help yes by pointing them out? They just help the side I support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Why would I want to help yes by pointing them out?

Ah convenient.
    It would "help" the yes campaign by pointing out that they've been lying?
    What a strange world you live in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement