Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

tunguska wrote: »
    Why dont you go and talk to some people from the No side, find out what you might learn yourself. Like actually listen to them instead of trying to win an argument.

I'm open to listening to you. I want to hear what you learnt.

But now you are shutting me down. Sob sob....

I guess I need to find some nice No voters who can talk to me and I can listen and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

NuMarvel wrote: »
    We learn plenty from the spokespeople, like McGuire and Sherlock and Quinn. None of it is good.

Talk to a regular person not a self appointed figure head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I would also be open to hearing a new perspective on the pro-life side, and would be interested in what they have to say.

I'm open to listening to you. I want to hear what you learnt.

But now you are shutting me down. Sob sob....

I guess I need to find some nice No voters who can talk to me and I can listen and learn.

But thats the thing, youre not prepared to listen. If you were you wouldnt be asking me you'd make up your own mind and find out for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

But thats the thing, youre not prepared to listen. If you were you wouldnt be asking me you'd make up your own mind and find out for yourself.

We are prepared to listen, you just don't seem prepared to tell us? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I'm listening.

What did you learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

If youre defacing a poster it means youre a coward who hasnt got the courage to go talk to someone face to face.

Not really. When I was grieving a miscarriage the sight of many of those posters would have destroyed me. I wouldn't have been able to cope with seeing them. I genuinely don't know if I would have been able to leave the house for the two months we can expect to keep seeing them. I certainly wouldn't have been safe to drive. That's not hyperbole, my mental health was way too fragile to have coped with them. And that's not an unusual reaction either. I know of a lot of women who are not managing very well at all right now because of those posters. The temptation, for their loved ones, to just get rid of them must be overwhelming. It's a horrible, horrible abusive tactic and they know it because women have been explaining for years about the hurt that imagery causes to bereaved families and begging them to stop.

Are we at least allowed to know the general theme of it? Or where to find the level headed No arguments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm another person prepared to listen.

In what world does asking someone means the opposite (I.e. that you're not interested)

Come on just tell us. It's been built up to something amazing now

Are we at least allowed to know the general theme of it? Or where to find the level headed No arguments?

Actually that's a good point.

What discussion was the poster even at??

• Advertisement

I'm listening.

What did you learn?

Like I said, have some courage and go talk to someone yourself.

iguana wrote: »
    Not really. When I was grieving a miscarriage the sight of many of those posters would have destroyed me. I wouldn't have been able to cope with seeing them. I genuinely don't know if I would have been able to leave the house for the two months we can expect to keep seeing them. I certainly wouldn't have been safe to drive. That's not hyperbole, my mental health was way too fragile to have coped with them. And that's not an unusual reaction either. I know of a lot of women who are not managing very well at all right now because of those posters. The temptation, for their loved ones, to just get rid of them must be overwhelming. It's a horrible, horrible abusive tactic and they know it because women have been explaining for years about the hurt that imagery causes to bereaved families and begging them to stop.

I'm sorry for your hurt Iguana

amdublin wrote: »
    I'm another person prepared to listen.

In what world does asking someone means the opposite (I.e. that you're not interested)

Come on just tell us. It's been built up to something amazing now

What?

Or just tell us what you've learned so we can all digest the information you gathered.

What are the chances of us coming across the same people you did?

Seriously failing to see why you don't just share with us what the perspective you learned was about, I'd be more than eager to share if it was me.

Where does one go? Where did you go??

Why the big mystery now? You learnt so much but won't tell us what you learnt. And not so much to change your mind how you're voting right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

If youre defacing a poster it means youre a coward who hasnt got the courage to go talk to someone face to face.

I'm not condoning damaging posters, but you have to admit those posters go wide of the mark, don't they? They hardly foster the "love both" image pro life people like to think they portray, so they?

What?

Just tell us!!

You say we are not interested in listening. A few of us have said we are. And you've now said no you still won't tell us we need to find the people you spoke with to find out ourselves.

Please tell us. I want to hear.

It's like we're all kids, sitting around the kitchen fire, asking grampa to tell us one more bedtime story :D

tunguska, do you realise that what you are doing is pretty much identical to the usual underhanded discussion tactics of people supporting an argument they can't actually justify. It's very common, very transparent and anyone with any experience of human conversation is wise to it. I'm just mentioning that as I really do believe that you learned something important and I'd hate to think that you'd accidentally lead anyone reading this to think you were that kind of underhanded tactic user. The more you refuse to share what you have learned, the more you really do seem like that kind of disingenuous poster. So please do share, we are all so interested.

amdublin wrote: »
    Just tell us!!

You say we are not interested in listening. A few of us have said we are. And you've now said no you still won't tell us we need to find the people you spoke with to find out ourselves.

Please tell us. I want to hear.

But if you were interested and genuinely open to hearing what people on the no side have to say, you'd go seek them out in the real world. Theres discussions all over the city, find one and just go. And go with an open attitude.

• Advertisement

Or you know, you could stop being intentionally vague and deflective by just telling us what you learned so we could all collectively discuss this new perspective?

Otherwise you're just telling porky pies tbh.

But if you were interested and genuinely open to hearing what people on the no side have to say, you'd go seek them out in the real world. Theres discussions all over the city, find one and just go. And go with an open attitude.

It's twenty five past midnight and I'm the only adult in the house with my 5 year old. I can't actually go to a meeting right now but I am super curious right now. You've totally piqued my curiosity and I'd just really love to know what you have learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe she is suicidal.

Did I read something about having agreement from 2 doctors on suicidal grounds?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

iguana wrote: »
    I imagine we'll also have Northern Irish women coming here. It will be much easier to drive or get a bus to the nearest Irish county with an abortion service than it will be to fly or sail to Britain. Even if you have to come back again 72 hours after your initial appointment driving from Derry to Donegal is pretty straightforward.

Maybe but they get it on the NHS in mainland Britain as far as I know. More hypocrisy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

stockdam wrote: »
    So if you don't believe that something is right then your only solution appears to to be to use force to stop it?

You seem to believe that its fine to have a law against abortion with a 14 year sentence attached and then have the state turn a blind eye and prosecute no-one for breaking it.

It isn't. The state has a Constitutional duty to defend and vindicate the equal right to life of the unborn. Eventually, the AG is going to have no choice but to jail some teenager for buying abortion pills.

Unless we change the 8th first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Is it a big secret? Why can't you just post it here? You'll reach a wide audience. Or, are you just talking out of your arse?

Repeal the 8th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Theres discussions all over the city, find one and just go.

How do I find one of these discussions of this pro-life wisdom, master?

How do I find one of these discussions of this pro-life wisdom, master?

Ready, you are not, my young Padawan, to learn the ways of the pro-life campaign online.

Seek out a pro-lifer for a real-life discussion, you must.

Share with you my learnings, I cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What with work and other commitments I don’t have time. Please tell us what you learned, that we can learn from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Why dont you go and talk to some people from the No side, find out what you might learn yourself. Like actually listen to them instead of trying to win an argument.

The issue of abortion first came to my attention in my latter teens. I now approach 40. At this time the anti abortion brigade used to delight in setting up information stalls just outside central bank in dublin. Replete with many of the fetal photography that we are still used to seeing today.

I decided I wanted to inform myself on the issue rather than simply take the default position that was expected of someone in my kind of headspace. So I cleared an ENTIRE Saturday.... assuming it would be a long conversation with some back and forth and lots of education for me.

I headed into town and approached the stalls and openly told them that I did not want to blindly take a default position on this issue and I wanted to hear their side of the issue openly and honestly and at length.

They said "Have you seen these pictures here?".

I agreed with them that the pictures they had chosen were indeed quite gruesome but I was there for the conversation, and the substance of their position.

"Loook at the pictures maaaaaan" I was told again in a kind of empty drawl.

After a few more attempts resulting in repeatedly been referred to the pictures I left with a whole Saturday still to fill. The entire discussion with all of them took less than 30 minutes.

And this has been representative of pretty much every conversation I have had with them since. So please, by all means regale me with what I might learn from these people if only I would listen to them. Because I HAVE been listening to them. For 2 and a half decades. What is it you feel I am not hearing?

So you are admonishing us to talk to "normal people" not figure heads and listen to them. Then when we ask YOU questions so we can listen to YOU you reverse track on that and assert we are not prepared to listen (false) and that by asking "normal people" so we can listen to them..... it means we should not be asking you and we should make up our own mind and find out for ourselves?

Bit of a have cake and eat it stacking of the deck you are pulling as a fast one there don't you think? Simultaneously admonishing people to do something, while admonishing them when they actually try to do that very thing.

Weird this is. Honest it is not. So why do you do it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement