Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

iguana wrote: »
    You have to remember, you are the Yes side. We're all just volunteers with very, very little financial backing.

Exactly. Yes side groups all over welcome volunteer canvassers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

gmisk wrote: »
    Repeal the 8th decent honest factual, save side aggressive evading or downright lies

I haven't watched it (will do when it's up on the Player), but noted the Twitter reaction from the usual suspects on the No campaign: it's all about how they have 'won' the argument. One in particular caught my attention: was it a mistake that the Yes side went 'all doctor'? Ffs, as if going for facts over hysteria is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Achasanai wrote: »
    I haven't watched it (will do when it's up on the Player), but noted the Twitter reaction from the usual suspects on the No campaign: it's all about how they have 'won' the argument. One in particular caught my attention: was it a mistake that the Yes side went 'all doctor'? Ffs, as if going for facts over hysteria is the way to go.

The no side snuck in lots of sly comments about stuff not relevant to the amendment or the proposed legislation.

Among the inaccuracies Wendy Grace stated that if the 8th was removed we'd never have a chance to change anything ever again.
    This is untrue as legislation can always be overturned and if we the electorate don't like legislation we can vote out the legislators.

Also mentioned 1-4 babies aborted in Britain, Downs Syndrome, nameless faceless friends living with regret.

I know at the core they feel they are protecting the most vulnerable but the zealousness and sneakiness employed is unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I believe her point was that she believes the very act of abortion is wrong...... she was going to have an abortion but after discussion and thinking about it, she didn’t and now she is so glad she didn’t...... she was trying to convey there are other CHOICES

She was never going to have an abortion. She's said so live on TV before and that new part about ordering the pills is bull**** too. Why only mention it now and not ever before?

Check out @newsworthy_ie’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/773908732912730112?s=09

BTW I did not make this video so did not add the Dr evil part in at the end or condone it but its there so deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Headline with the Daily Mail poll.
    “Abortion poll shock as Yes support falls...and No support gains”.
    I haven’t seen the figures yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/people-before-profit-wants-abortion-as-early-and-as-late-as-needed-1.3476984

This is why I am afraid to vote Yes.

What is Brid Smyth really saying here, is she saying her party are happy to go with the twelve weeks for the first Dail term but then they want the time limit for abortion to be revised up to birth.

What if a Government ever need her support and she wants unlimited abortion, we have already if we repeal the 8th removed all the unborns rights so how do we stop their lives be sold for votes if Brid Smyth and company hold the balance of power.

We have already seen what Coveney did, he threw all his principles out the window whenpush came to shove.

At least Zappone and her gang have the courage of their convictions, I would like to ask Zappone too what limit she really wants on abortion, does she want to go further than twelve weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The fact in the headline is hardly a shock, it's what everyone has predicted.

Perhaps the numbers are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

tretorn wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/people-before-profit-wants-abortion-as-early-and-as-late-as-needed-1.3476984

This is why I am afraid to vote Yes.

What is Brid Smyth really saying here, is she saying her party are happy to go with the twelve weeks for the first Dail term but then they want the time limit for abortion to be revised up to birth.

What if a Government ever need her support and she wants unlimited abortion, we have already if we repeal the 8th removed all the unborns rights so how do we stop their lives be sold for votes if Brid Smyth and company hold the balance of power.

We have already seen what Coveney did, he threw all his principles out the window whenpush came to shove.

At least Zappone and her gang have the courage of their convictions, I would like to ask Zappone too what limit she really wants on abortion, does she want to go further than twelve weeks too.

Its really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Killester1

Igotadose wrote: »

I've read at least one study showing the majority of women that have abortions do NOT regret it. Nor are there any significant post procedure risks to the mental health of the woman.

Killester1 wrote: »
    Igotadose wrote: »

What study was this? Could you send the link? Anybody I know that had an abortion .... regret it to this day and the loss has played havoc with their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I believe her point was that she believes the very act of abortion is wrong...... she was going to have an abortion but after discussion and thinking about it, she didn’t and now she is so glad she didn’t...... she was trying to convey there are other CHOICES

And those choices will still exist after the 8th is repealed. None of them will be taken away. The added benefit is that when a woman decides abortion is the right choice for her, she'll be able to do it under the proper medical supervision of her local doctors.

What study was this? Could you send the link? Anybody I know that had an abortion .... regret it to this day and the loss has played havoc with their minds.

I've had an abortion. I don't regret it.

Its really not.

Of course it is.

Of course it is.

No it's not.

The vast majority of abortions happen before 12 weeks.

The ones later than that happen for necessity.

That's what it means.

Ok the poll is
    Yes 46%
    No 31%
    Undecided 23%

In the same poll previously by the same company, Yes was at 53%.

January wrote: »
    I've had an abortion. I don't regret it.

I’m adopted and was given the chance to life........ I have as much right to this life as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ok the poll is
    Yes 46%
    No 31%
    Undecided 23%

In the same poll previously by the same company, Yes was at 53%.

And in the previous poll, in December, no was at 27%. So this is very similar to other polls showing that the No side isn't gaining much ground. A 4% rise in four months is not the kind of gains you want after months of campaigning. All the polls show that their support has reached its limits, so it's the Yes side's campaign to win or lose at this point.

And for clarity, the question asked in the previous poll wasn't specifically about repeal, but repeal allowing for up to 12 weeks: Respondents were asked "If a referendum were held to repeal the 8th amendment that is to make abortion unrestricted during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy how would you vote?"

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Moiratat

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    You are not a killer.
    You are not a murderer.
    You are not the one who should feel shame because you did nothing shameful.
    Feel disgust for those who put you in that situation.

You are a strong, brave, woman who has survived so much betrayal.

I have to say thank you to you, you words mean a lot especially at a time where it feels like half my own country thinks I am a child killer.
    I would like to ask anyone that is undecided or voting no, what would you do if you were me?

Young women most in favour of repeal. Older women most in favour of retain.
    I trust older women who have life experience.

I’m adopted and was given the chance to life........ I have as much right to this life as everyone else.

My husband is adopted too. I'm grateful his mother choose to have him and have him adopted but had she made a different choice then that would have been OK too.

Doesn't mean I should regret my abortion. My husband doesn't regret our choice either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Moiratat

And what about me Robert? I have life experience past many my age, I raised my siblings, educated them on important subjects unlike their schools, or is my life experience not valid to you?

NuMarvel wrote: »
    And in the previous poll, in December, no was at 27%. So this is very similar to other polls showing that the No side isn't gaining much ground. A 4% rise in four months is not the kind of gains you want after months of campaigning. All the polls show that their support has reached its limits, so it's the Yes side's campaign to win or lose at this point.

And for clarity, the question asked in the previous poll wasn't specifically about repeal, but repeal allowing for up to 12 weeks: Respondents were asked "If a referendum were held to repeal the 8th amendment that is to make abortion unrestricted during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy how would you vote?"

No it is a consistent theme that People who state their position, that Yes has fallen under 50% and the thing is will this trend continue.
    Even in the Irish Times today they were on the canvass scene in Cork city with both sides and the conclusion was it could go either way.

So you trust women now?

Or trust women who happen to think the same as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭swampgas

Of course you have a right to your life now.

But nobody has a right to be forced into existence. It doesn't make sense.

Back when we banned contraception we would have been able to trot out all sorts of people, the 10th and 11th children in large families for example, who would have been able to say "if contraception had been available I wouldn't exist!". What about all those large families that don't happen any more? Have all those extra children been denied their right to life too? Of course not.

Be grateful to be alive. But remember that the women whose lives are affected by the 8th amendment have a right to life (and health) too you know.
    It isn't all about you.

I have found the opposite to be true.
    Most people start off as pro life, as they get older they see more grey areas & realise its not a black & white issue.
    I'm in my forties, every single woman I know is for repeal, including my mother &her friends in their 60's.
    The women I know who had abortions were older & already had children.

My father wanted my mother to have an abortion, she decided against it.
    Note, she decided. Had she decided otherwise I would never know.
    I support a woman's right to choose.

Moiratat wrote: »
    And what about me Robert? I have life experience past many my age, I raised my siblings, educated them on important subjects unlike their schools, or is my life experience not valid to you?

It is clear for the majority of older people that retain/No is the compassionate position to be on, who some on the Yes side have attacked with ageism comments.
    I don’t know you, and it is not my place to judge you as an individual even if I did as to make out I am somehow perfect.
    I think yes for compassion is a lie as most of the abortions would be healthy women aborting healthy unborn. I think a lot of older wise people would also see through this Yes slogan lie.

bubblypop wrote: »
    My father wanted my mother to have an abortion, she decided against it.
    Note, she decided. Had she decided otherwise I would never know.
    I support a woman's right to choose.

Can I ask what your father would think now?

bubblypop wrote: »
    I have found the opposite to be true.
    Most people start off as pro life, as they get older they see more grey areas & realise its not a black & white issue.
    I'm in my forties, every single woman I know is for repeal, including my mother &her friends in their 60's.
    The women I know who had abortions were older & already had children.

It could just be your locality, strong retain among women around where I live.

• Advertisement

It is clear for the majority of older people that retain/No is the compassionate position to be on, who some on the Yes side have attacked with ageism comments.
    I don’t know you, and it is not my place to judge you as an individual even if I did as to make out I am somehow perfect.
    I think yes for compassion is a lie as most of the abortions would be healthy women aborting healthy unborn. I think a lot of older wise people would also see through this Yes slogan lie.

So we're back to "lies" Robert, are we?

Still waiting on those actual lies from the Pro Repeal side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement