Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

taserfrank wrote: »
    Look, I'm just asking questions, there's no need to jump down my throat.

Why do you think a woman might need or want an abortion?

Personally, that kind of situation is one I'm afraid we could have if the referendum is passed. I'm trying to read as much as I can on this, but so far I'm not convinced.

Why would you think this?
    Irish women get abortions now too, do you hear them talking like that now?
    Why do you think because it would be available here that suddenly women will be boasting how many abortions they have had?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Maybe you could go and have conversations about abortion with the women in your life.

I would hazard a guess that after talking to them you can see they can be trusted to choose what is best for them.

my facebook has gone crazy with pro-life advertising this morning. seven or eight ads, no balance.

all posited as articles on "the real facts" and all from different organisations.

its deeply unsettling stuff to see in action, for all that imo it doesnt remove the onus from anyone with a vote to take responsibility for informing themselves etc etc

would love to see funding declared and all "facts" checked against an independent authority before they were allowed to be broadcast.

but of course the same crowd would merely see this as fuel to the fire of evidence that all organised govt is a conspiracy against the ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jokes

I know a woman that did it on a whim it interfered with her holiday to Australia. So to answer your question yes some women do do it on a whim.

Nobody is saying anything about the babies being born alive this is possible and the thought of throwing a human being into a bin and left to die on its own disturbs me very much,
    http://thisismylife.ie/what-happens-to-a-baby-after-it-is-aborted/

There was also a doctor who was jailed for cutting spinal cords when they were born alive..
    This referendum has alot of information that needs to be addressed before voting imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

How impressionable and stupid do you think women are.

Do you think we'll see an Ad for a clinic and think f*ck it. I couldn't be arsed having this baby. I'll just pop in and make the most difficult decision of my life on a whim because I can.

Well, I'm responding to at least one ''impressionable and stupid'' woman right now.

Maybe you could phrase your questions in a way that isn't insulting to women?

Jokes wrote: »
    I know a woman that did it on a whim it interfered with her holiday to Australia. So to answer your question yes some women do do it on a whim.

nobody is saying anything about the babies being born alive this is possible and and the thought of throwing a human being into a bin and left to die on its own disturbs me very much, there was also a doctor who was cutting spinal cords when they were born alive. This referendum has alot of information that needs to be addressed before voting imo.

What sort of rubbish are you reading?
    Before 12 weeks,the woman takes pills & the result is like a very heavy period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

nobody is saying anything about the babies being born alive this is possible and and the thought of throwing a human being into a bin and left to die on its own disturbs me very much, there was also a doctor who was cutting spinal cords when they were born alive. This referendum has alot of information that needs to be addressed before voting imo.

Andy chance of a link to verify these claims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

For me this boils down to two things. If you think abortion is morally reprehensible and should continue to be a crime then vote no. But if it is a crime there is no way you can then say women and doctors shouldn't go to jail.
    It is either a crime or not, have consistency in your convictions.
    However I believe the idea that things are ok as they are is just frankly hypocritical. We won't do the procedure and provide any medical assistance here, but you're welcome to travel.
    I think people with that mindset need to consider what a yes vote will mean. Irish women will continue to have abortions but in a more humane a safe environment.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Moiratat

Well, I'm responding to at least one ''impressionable and stupid'' woman right now.

"I was not in good health, my mind was a toxic place of hatred and depression from my family and boyfriend abusing me. My mother an alcoholic to put it lightly left for weeks on end, leaving me with my baby brother and 3 younger sisters and no food or money. My older sister was never home and if she was she would only abuse us further (my older sister having sexually abused me and them). I "had" my boyfriend at the time, he abused me physically and mentally and it got to a stage where he would rape me and call me a slut or a whore afterwards. I became pregnant. My told my boyfriend and he tried to kill my baby by beating me, by forcing me to drink alcohol and many other ways, his family were stern Catholics. To me I wanted my baby, I wanted to be able to keep him or her and love them ,I still do love them but I had to look after my siblings which I couldn't do if my mother kicked me out which she would have. And I would have liked to have given my baby the best life possible and couldn't if I was kicked out and even at that point my baby could've been seriously hurt. My boyfriend threatened me that if I did not go to England he would kill me. So I did and I miss my baby terribly but I had to do what I did. Am I a murderer because of it or a killer? Every time I go out and see one of the no posters I want to end my life. I feel so much shame and disgust at myself. I had to leave my home to say goodbye to my baby, because of the eighth."
    Am I stupid, am I impressionable, do I deserve compassion or am I just someone who did something on a whim?

joe40 wrote: »
    For me this boils down to two things. If you think abortion is morally reprehensible and should continue to be a crime then vote no. But if it is a crime there is no way you can then say women and doctors shouldn't go to jail.
    It is either a crime or not, have consistency in your convictions.
    However I believe the idea that things are ok as they are is just frankly hypocritical. We won't do the procedure and provide any medical assistance here, but you're welcome to travel.
    I think people with that mindset need to consider what a yes vote will mean. Irish women will continue to have abortions but in a more humane a safe environment.
    ;

Yes id agree with you here but it wont just be for medical interventions anyway im voting yes choice and all that but as I posted above i find some of it inhumane but thats my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

amcalester wrote: »
    Did you actually read those article's, they do not agree with your post at all. The last one is actually a debunk of the story in question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

To be honest, what made you think the woman you say was travelling to Australia wouldn't have had an abortion anyway? Was she starting a family? In a steady relationship, ready to settle down, actually wanting to have children?

You seem to be assuming that all women with an unplanned pregnancy should automatically go ahead with it, and that any that don't are having abortions on "a whim".

Do you think women are just there to churn out kids without any say in the matter themselves?

;

Yes id agree with you here but it wont just be for medical interventions anyway im voting yes choice and all that but as I posted above i find some of it inhumane but thats my opinion

I have already pointed out to you that before 12 weeks of pregnancy, a woman takes pills to abort.
    It's like an extremely heavy period

The telegraph and snopes links didn’t work and SPUC are not a credible source.

Maybe go google your own research then. Ive no idea why they wont work here on boards.ie?

Jokes you made the claim so it’s up to you back it up.

I did go and find that Snopes article and it debunks your claim while telling a story about an abortion at 26 weeks in the 1970’s so I’ve no idea why you think it’s relevant to this discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Maybe go google your own research then. Ive no idea why they wont work here on boards.ie?

WHAT'S TRUE
    Dr. William Waddell was tried twice, but never convicted following a failed abortion during which the fetus initially survived.

WHAT'S FALSE
    Waddell was found to have strangled the infant; the incident was recent in 2016.

WHAT'S UNDETERMINED
    The reasons for which the abortion was unsuccessful; what caused the premature infant's death.

• Advertisement

Jokes you made the claim so it’s up to you back it up.

I did go and find that Snopes article and it debunks your claim while telling a story about an abortion at 26 weeks in the 1970’s so I’ve no idea why you think it’s relevant to this discussion.

Yes ive back ot uo im at work ive read alot about abortions, and ive the links all over the place but here is another one
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-512129/66-babies-year-left-die-NHS-abortions-wrong.html

granted it all seems rosy before 12 weeks easy swallow pill itll be like a natural miscarraige all great and wonderful right .. Its after 12weeks thats where it gets inhumane for me but thats my opinion. I see in america they passed a law that grants aborted babies born alive the right to life ,
    judiciary.house.gov/press-release/goodlatte-statement-born-alive-abortion-survivors-protection-act/

Yes ive back ot uo im at work ive read alot about abortions, and ive the links all over the place but here is another one
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-512129/66-babies-year-left-die-NHS-abortions-wrong.html

granted it all seems rosy before 12 weeks easy swallow pill itll be like a natural miscarraige all great and wonderful right .. Its after 12weeks thats where it gets inhumane for me but thats my opinion. I see in america they passed a law that grants aborted babies born alive the right to life ,
    judiciary.house.gov/press-release/goodlatte-statement-born-alive-abortion-survivors-protection-act/

Maybe you should read the proposal for what may become legal if the amendment is repealed.

Wouldnt it be great if our wonderful government would give us information on every aspect and detail on this. Right im out of this discussion good luck take care .

Wouldnt it be great if our wonderful government would give us information on every aspect and detail on this. Right im out of this discussion good luck take care .

Read the booklet from the referendum commission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, the proposed legislation is up to 12 weeks, and after that for FFA and maternal health/life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,633 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hello new poster :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Had my first canvassers call to the door (Dublin west). They were from Together For Yes. Pretty much told them straight off that it was a Yes household. They gave me a leaflet and I just told them to keep up the good work.

Was this today? Do you mind PMing me your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To ge fair, you be come on here, and said that you’ll deny all women because of how you perceive the behaviours of a few. Honestly, do you think that’s fair or right?

The opportunity to vote is a serious responsibility that we all share. Voting to spite a minority is not a good way to use your vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

What information is missing?

The Citizens Assembly report is online. The Committtee's report is online. The outline of the proposed legislation, explaining the grounds and circumstances under which an abortion can be carried out, is online.

What else do you want to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

dudara wrote: »
    To ge fair, you be come on here, and said that you’ll deny all women because of how you perceive the behaviours of a few. Honestly, do you think that’s fair or right?

The opportunity to vote is a serious responsibility that we all share. Voting to spite a minority is not a good way to use your vote.

It's neither fair nor is it right. As a someone who is choosing to vote to repeal, I can acknowledge that yes, there will be a very small amount of women who will possibly fit the behaviour insinuated here.

Is this enough for me to say no? Absolutely not, it is nothing short of being petty and immature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement