Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just as a complete off topic, almost 9 minutes of adverts on RTE player before getting to the debate, and I still haven't gotten to it yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

Jokes wrote: »
    I know a woman that did it on a whim it interfered with her holiday to Australia.

Disgusting. I hope she can live with herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

taserfrank wrote: »
    Disgusting. I hope she can live with herself.

I know a woman who had an abortion just so she could run off with Mickey Mouse to Disneyland and shag him in a princess outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I know a woman who had an abortion just so she could run off with Mickey Mouse to Disneyland and shag him in a princess outfit.

Is that the one in Paris or Orlando, I can never tell!?

And who is wearing the outfit, the woman you know or Mickey Mouse, hard to tell!?

RT8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Hi, im notnsure if thosnis allowed or theres a more appropriate place to post but basically Im in Toronto and trying to get home to Vote. Every vote counts and flight prices are getting crazy. Ive set up a gofundme to help somewhat towards cost of getting home. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/2kqg7-home-to-vote-repeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Slunk wrote: »
    Hi, im notnsure if thosnis allowed or theres a more appropriate place to post but basically Im in Toronto and trying to get home to Vote. Every vote counts and flight prices are getting crazy. Ive set up a gofundme to help somewhat towards cost of getting home. Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.gofundme.com/2kqg7-home-to-vote-repeal

Depends...what way do you intend voting!?:D:D:D

And if you vote no then I suggest you go beg from the ever so charitable Christians over on their 'Can a Christian vote for limited abortions?' thread, as you would have more luck there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I've asked it already a few times and I know others have too, still no answer though - to any antichoice person, what difference does it make to you personally whether any woman anywhere has an abortion?

Every vote counts and flight prices are getting crazy.

While it's true that every vote counts, the chances that your one vote will be the decider in a national referendum are essentially zero. You are as well off funding this by winning the Euromillions lotto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

bubblypop wrote: »
    What sort of rubbish are you reading?
    Before 12 weeks,the woman takes pills & the result is like a very heavy period.
    this from the US, can't imagine it'll just be medical abortions here up to 12 weeks

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/the-abortion-pill

You usually can get a medication abortion up to 70 days (10 weeks) after the first day of your last period. If it has been 71 days or more since the first day of your last period, you can have an in-clinic abortion to end your pregnancy.

For people who are 8 weeks pregnant or less, it works about 98 out of 100 times. From 8-9 weeks pregnant, it works about 96 out of 100 times. From 9-10 weeks, it works 93 out of 100 times.

The abortion pill usually works, but if it doesn’t, you can take more medicine or have an in-clinic abortion to complete the abortion.

erica74 wrote: »
    I've asked it already a few times and I know others have too, still no answer though - to any antichoice person, what difference does it make to you personally whether any woman anywhere has an abortion?

That's not the point. In fact, they are happiest if it makes no difference at all to anyone and the abortions happen in England, which is why they voted to put travel rights in the Constitution.

The point is not that it makes a difference to them, the point is not to even save babies -

the point is to make sluts and whores do the walk of shame to the Ryanair gate and keep Holy Catholic Soil sin free.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

This is disgraceful. Irrespective of what way you vote, you are setting up a gofundme page for what is essentially a holiday to Ireland under the pretext of voting in the referendum.

this from the US, can't imagine it'll just be medical abortions here up to 12 weeks

Imagine whatever you like. That is the law as proposed.

This is disgraceful. Irrespective of what way you vote, you are setting up a gofundme page for what is essentially a holiday to Ireland under the pretext of voting in the referendum.

Yes, but falls under comical rather than disgraceful, I think. Especially if it works.

That's not the point. In fact, they are happiest if it makes no difference at all to anyone and the abortions happen in England, which is why they voted to put travel rights in the Constitution.

The point is not that it makes a difference to them, the point is not to even save babies -

the point is to make sluts and whores do the walk of shame to the Ryanair gate and keep Holy Catholic Soil sin free.
    I only see one side calling people sluts and whores...

Imagine whatever you like. That is the law as proposed.

law for only medical?

I only see one side calling people sluts and whores...

That is because your reading comprehension needs a lot of work.

law for only medical?

Two bits for a large one?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Killester1

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of abortions a person can have ?? If someone is refused their third abortion (for example) .... can they sue the State?

Killester1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of abortions a person can have ?

No, there is no limit today with the 8th in place, there will be no limit after it is repealed.

But we will give you a voucher after 5 for a free facelift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of abortions a person can have ?? If someone is refused their third abortion (for example) .... can they sue the State?

It’s not a flipping loyalty card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Personally, that kind of situation is one I'm afraid we could have if the referendum is passed. I'm trying to read as much as I can on this, but so far I'm not convinced.

Oh look, another "I'm on the fence, convince me to vote Yes" but I'm really a no voter.

If you want to educate yourself, read the thread and also refcom.ie - it has all the information you need.

Repeal all the way - body autonomy for all.

amcalester wrote: »
    It’s not a flipping loyalty card.

Too right it isn’t ! That’s why I asked the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Too right it isn’t ! That’s why I asked the question.

I know why you asked the question.

It was a sly dig at women, trying to imply that if the 8th is repealed it’ll knickers down on a Saturday night and straight to the clinic on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Brief summary of some of the facts related to retaining/repealing the 8th:

1. Irish women are having abortions. We voted to give them the right to travel. An unknown number are ordering pills online and having abortions on Irish soil without medical supervision. Voting no does not prevent abortion.

2. The vast majority of abortions are in first trimester.

3. Voting yes would give couples facing a FFA diagnosis options - continue pregnancy, abortion or induction.

4. Medical professionals do not need your consent when you are pregnant. Manually breaking waters, Episiotomies etc they can just do it.

5. Women taking medications that cause birth defects are taken off these drugs as soon as their doctor discovers they are pregnant. Example of these medications include anti-seizure medication Sodium Valporate. It can have very serious consequences on a woman's health to drastically stop her medication.

6. Morning after pill does not work if you have already ovulated.

7. Lack of abortion doesn't make Ireland a safe place to give birth. We are a developed nation. Developed nations have better maternal morality outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Why the horrible misogynistic attitude towards women and them having abortions, and how many abortions they could have pursued?

Seriously, these are the individuals who have to go through it all, it's their body that has to suffer a miscarriage, it's their body that has to suffer an abortion, it's their body that has to suffer the onsets and drawbacks of pregnancy, show them some respect.

So what if some women get repeat abortions, you don't know the circumstances behind it, they might have had 6 abortions but they might have had 6 abortions so that they didn't have to suffer 6 miscarriages, you don't know, so for the love of Christ, please show them some respect.

Honestly the attitudes shown thus far towards women just f*cking disgusts me and makes me ashamed to be a man.

One of the things that has come out of this whole discussion/debate/referendum is the downright disgusting, horrendous, archaic and misogynistic attitude shown towards women these days.

Why the horrible misogynistic attitude towards women and them having abortions, and how many abortions they could have pursued?

Seriously, these are the individuals who have to go through it all, it's their body that has to suffer a miscarriage, it's their body that has to suffer an abortion, it's their body that has to suffer the onsets and drawbacks of pregnancy, show them some respect.

So what if some women get repeat abortions, you don't know the circumstances behind it, they might have had 6 abortions but they might have had 6 abortions so that they didn't have to suffer 6 miscarriages, you don't know, so for the love of Christ, please show them some respect.

Honestly the attitudes shown thus far towards women just f*cking disgusts me and makes me ashamed to be a man.

The unborn deserve rights and respect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Is that excuse enough to continuously degrade and berate women seeking abortions like the attitude that has been shown previously in this thread?

Nobody disrespects the unborn, they also have one right which is all they are entitled to until they become a born citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I am a human, fully formed, living with a right to life as are you. Let's suppose for a moment a foetus is too.

Imagine for instance that I need a blood donation. You are the only match. Without your blood I will die. My right to life does not trump your right to bodily autonomy.

It’s a procedure that would take maybe an hour and register as barely more than a scratch but the HSE will not have you hauled in, pinned down and your blood extracted. You can say no. Everyone might think you’re horrible for saying no, curse you, ostracize you whatever, but the courts or medical system wouldn’t force you

A fetus may indeed have a right to life just as much as you or I, but just as I don’t have a right to bits of your body, while fetus needs somebody else’s womb to survive, it is the person whose womb it is who gets to decide if she will carry it.

A fetus’s right to life (or any other conceivable rights) shouldn’t preclude a woman from having an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

And we can do that in legislation, where it's easier, and more appropriate, to set out the protections the unborn and balance them with the rights of the woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭lillycakes2

mohawk wrote: »
    Brief summary of some of the facts related to retaining/repealing the 8th:

1. Irish women are having abortions. We voted to give them the right to travel. An unknown number are ordering pills online and having abortions on Irish soil without medical supervision. Voting no does not prevent abortion.

2. The vast majority of abortions are in first trimester.

3. Voting yes would give couples facing a FFA diagnosis options - continue pregnancy, abortion or induction.

4. Medical professionals do not need your consent when you are pregnant. Manually breaking waters, Episiotomies etc they can just do it.

5. Women taking medications that cause birth defects are taken off these drugs as soon as their doctor discovers they are pregnant. Example of these medications include anti-seizure medication Sodium Valporate. It can have very serious consequences on a woman's health to drastically stop her medication.

6. Morning after pill does not work if you have already ovulated.

7. Lack of abortion doesn't make Ireland a safe place to give birth. We are a developed nation. Developed nations have better maternal morality outcomes.

Your 6th point is totally inaccurate .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement