Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doomshine

david75 wrote: »
    So following that (awful song choice written by a lifelong heroin addict) you should be ok letting women make their own decisions and mind your own business, no?
    Sorry to go completely off topic here, but Paul McCartney is definitely not a lifelong heroin addict :P
    Agree with the rest of your post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

doomshine wrote: »
    Sorry to go completely off topic here, but Paul McCartney is definitely not a lifelong heroin addict :D

It would explain a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

doomshine wrote: »
    Sorry to go completely off topic here, but Paul McCartney is definitely not a lifelong heroin addict :P
    Agree with the rest of your post though.

Weirdly forgot he wrote that and given the tone from the poster who quoted it I went with Axl Rose. It just seemed to fit somehow.

My bad. Sorry Paul. (Paul murdered John so Paul is a bollix too )

Your logic and your joke face a similar fate as that Illfated ship.

I got it. But time and place.

I get where you are coming from but I disagree fundamentally with your premise.

It would be great it if was all civil and courteous but this is too important an issue.

My father is voting repeal, one of most closest colleagues in work is as repeal as you come.

We should be free to speak freely about the referendum and not be constrained.

I get where you are coming from but I disagree fundamentally with your premise.

It would be great it if was all civil and courteous but this is too important an issue.

My father is voting repeal, one of most closest colleagues in work is as repeal as you come.

We should be free to speak freely about the referendum and not be constrained.

Absolutely agree. We all need to talk about it. Calmly.

Read the last 30/40 pages of this thread and the only people you’ll see being dishonest and hysterical and utterly unhelpful to that conversation are pro life bots re registering new accounts and trying to derail the discussion.

I know and you know a forum like boards is just a Microcosm it’s not a true or accurate sample of the opinions of the entire nation. But the few that are here talking about it are bombarding us with nonsense and lies and permanently getting called out on it, then running away and not replying. Only to reappear making the same points all over again. And disrupting the conversation from the genuine accounts all over again.

It’s pathetic that pro life resort to this. It ruins any chance of insightful and factually based debate.

But here we are.

• Advertisement

The referendum won't be won on boards.ie.

I have been out canvassing the last 2 Thursdays in Cork and it has been a mostly positive experience. Even when people disagree with you at the doorstep, they are courteous.

However, the amount of people that don't know the difference between the constitution and the legislature is alarming.

The referendum won't be won on boards.ie.

I have been out canvassing the last 2 Thursdays in Cork and it has been a mostly positive experience. Even when people disagree with you at the doorstep, they are courteous.

However, the amount of people that don't know the difference between the constitution and the legislature is alarming.

Absolutely! I’ll refer you to Roberts posts for a sample of that ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Absolutely agree. We all need to talk about it. Calmly.

But here we are.

They are seeking to disrupt, scare and polarise the debate in the extreme early on. An old tactic but does not allow for the realisation that Ireland has well and truly moved on from the 1980's mindset, to a much more secular society that thinks for ourselves.
    The Daíl has finished it debate on the second stage of a bill to hold the referendum, will vote today and if passed will then proceed to the comittee stage.

Absolutely! I’ll refer you to Roberts posts for a sample of that ignorance.

Blasphemy.

He was the author of The 8th Amendment Part 1

Blasphemy.

That might be slanderous but I did laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Read the last 30/40 pages of this thread and the only people you’ll see being dishonest and hysterical and utterly unhelpful to that conversation are pro life bots re registering new accounts and trying to derail the discussion.
    I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Blasphemy.

Indeed he was. I recall he opened it by gloating at what he thought at the time was a big win for his cause. Before the day was over he had himself in logic knots trying to find an angle on how the Citizen's Assembly was anything other than a total disaster for the Retain side.

I sort of hope we get some nice, slightly misleading exit polls on referendum day so he can give us a little reprise. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sierra Eire

I know how I'll be voting - about time we can decide to control what happens to our own bodies

You'd swear women were forced by law to have unprotected sex at least 3 times a week or that there's some kind of airborne virus making women pregnant with arguments like this.

This poster doesn't seem to understand that women can already decide what happens to their bodies. For example, they have the choice to say NO to sexual intercourse, or perhaps *GASP* take responsibility when doing it. This eliminates the need to even mention the prospect of abortion.

As awful as rape is, and it's inexcusable, I don't see it as a big epidemic that needs to be addressed. I think those situations should be handled properly without killing a child.

You'd swear women were forced by law to have unprotected sex at least 3 times a week or that there's some kind of airborne virus making women pregnant with arguments like this.

This poster doesn't seem to understand that women can already decide what happens to their bodies. For example, they have the choice to say NO to sexual intercourse, or perhaps *GASP* take responsibility when doing it. This eliminates the need to even mention the prospect of abortion..

This may come as a shock to you but women like to bonk just as much as men do! And yes there is a lot of "gasping" going on!

Why are you speaking about yourself in the third person?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

This poster doesn't seem to understand that women can already decide what happens to their bodies. For example, they have the choice to say NO to sexual intercourse, or perhaps *GASP* take responsibility when doing it. This eliminates the need to even mention the prospect of abortion.

As awful as rape is, and it's inexcusable, I don't see it as a big epidemic that needs to be addressed. I think those situations should be handled properly without killing a child.

They aren't forced by law to have intercourse 3 times a week.

But they are forced by law into carrying a pregnancy conceived out of rape, incest, etc and must continue that pregnancy irregardless of whether or not they can support the resulting child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Have you never found yourself in a situation of your choosing, which was not as you expected it to be? If you really wanted out of it, how would you feel about people tut-tutting about your choices? How would you feel if the people judging you had not only not experienced what you were now experiencing, but were not even capable of it?

What if that situation threatened your health or even your life? Do you feel good about the people who will never know your suffering, telling you to "*GASP* take responsibility"?

Try to imagine it. Use an analogy if you need to.
    As awful as rape is, and it's inexcusable,

Probably better you stop there with that thought.

Indeed he was. I recall he opened it by gloating at what he thought at the time was a big win for his cause. Before the day was over he had himself in logic knots trying to find an angle on how the Citizen's Assembly was anything other than a total disaster for the Retain side.

I sort of hope we get some nice, slightly misleading exit polls on referendum day so he can give us a little reprise. :pac:

So far the opinions on the door would reflect this according to our canvas.

Small sample size of course. But even from just talking to other groups there seems to be a push back against Michael Martin & Coveney on this issue.

They aren't forced by law to have intercourse 3 times a week.

But they are forced by law into carrying a pregnancy conceived out of rape, incest, etc and must continue that pregnancy irregardless of whether or not they can support the resulting child.

What is etc.?

For the class

Have you never found yourself in a situation of your choosing, which was not as you expected it to be? If you really wanted out of it, how would you feel about people tut-tutting about your choices? How would you feel if the people judging you had not only not experienced what you were now experiencing, but were not even capable of it?

I have never been in, and more than likely will never be in, a situation where ending a human's life was a choice.
    What if that situation threatened your health or even your life? Do you feel good about the people who will never know your suffering, telling you to "*GASP* take responsibility"?

I support the current 8th Amendment, which, to my knowledge, allows for abortion when the mother's life is at risk. If I'm wrong about what the amendment says then forgive me, but I still support what I think it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

What is etc.?

For the class

Drunken one night stands, underage sex, normal consensual sex with contraceptive failure.

Gonna throw you in the ignore list, I've no time to entertain people who contribute nothing valuable or worthwhile to this thread but rather jump in with sneering remarks and comments.

Kind of wish any of your previous posts contained any form of intelligent/logical discussion so we could have all gained some insight but unfortunately you only went and deprived us all.

• Advertisement

I have never been in, and more than likely will never be in, a situation where ending a human's life was a choice.

Every day consumption by us here in the West ends people's lives in other less well off parts of the world, simply by not sharing our resources and wealth in an equitable way. So every day you are making a choice to end human life, just not here.

Approximately 3.1 million children die each year from starvation alone, to mention but one way you are directly involved.

Drunken one night stands, underage sex, normal consensual sex with contraceptive failure.

Gonna throw you in the ignore list, I've no time to entertain people who contribute nothing valuable or worthwhile to this thread but rather jump in with sneering remarks and comments.

Kind of wish any of your previous posts contained any form of intelligent/logical discussion so we could have all gained some insight but unfortunately you only went and deprived us all.

The Ignore List.

It is called the "Repeal Shield" on Twitter.

In common parlance we call it the mainstream media.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Every day consumption by us here in the West ends people's lives in other less well off parts of the world, simply by not sharing our resources and wealth in an equitable way. So every day you are making a choice to end human life, just not here.

Approximately 3.1 million children die each year from starvation alone, to mention but one way you are directly involved.

Not sure if you're a troll, communist or both, but your argument has nothing to do with abortion.

Not sure if you're a troll, communist or both, but your argument has nothing to do with abortion.

It was a genuine response to your glib statement about never knowingly ending a human life. Makes you seem very ignorant and naive of a very big world where 9 million people die of starvation annually while you aren't!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Oldtree wrote: »
    Every day consumption by us here in the West ends people's lives in other less well off parts of the world,

wildly off topic, but... if us here in the west ceased to exist tomorrow, taking into account all governmental and non-governmental aid, would more or less people in less well off parts of the world die of starvation,
    is our net contribution positive or negative?

Personally I don't think we have much of a positive effect, but I don't think removing us would have much of a positive affect either

Given that you've posted on another thread that the catholic church treats men and women differently because god created them differently and Muslims make their women wear bin bags, could we argue that your either a troll or a misogynist?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

thee glitz wrote: »
    In the case of retaining the 8th prevailing, a minimum time limit should be agreed upon before holding another referendum on the issue.

We should wait 5 years for some more of today's coffin-dodging pre-Vatican II Catholic neanderthals to die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The last people that got to vote on it are now mostly dead or headed that way

Oi!

I'm not even grey-haired yet! Well, not very. Distinguished, that's it, distinguished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Just out of curiosity, have any of you ever changed your position on abortion, in either direction? Genuine question, which I ask because, though I'm now ashamed to say it- I did.

I don't think my own personal position has changed but when I was a child, my psychotic mother had very strong views about abortion and I just went along with them because I got enough beatings as it was.
    I know that when I moved out of my parents house and started living on my own in Dublin, I used to see prolife and prochoice leaflets and gatherings and I think over time I did research until I came to my own conclusions about the matter.

Ah the good old "say no to sex" BS. Next you'll be telling us to just keep our legs closed if we don't want to get pregnant!

Another prolife person with a crystal ball. Have you got any other news from the future for us? Tell me is the new Marvel film going to be any good? Are we going to have any kind of a Summer this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement