Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Mr.H wrote: »
    2 girls that I know well

I am sure we all know a few that would probably be the same.

Not because they are women but because they are people

Are you sure they had 3 abortions, or did they just tell you that story?
    It brings to mind a story Enda Kenny told about a man with two pints thanking him for a rise in his wages, basically in the end he said it was just an embellishment, like it never really happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

eviltwin wrote: »
    Another new poster joking the thread, well I never.....:rolleyes:

They're like the Night King's zombie army. With about as much individual personality...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

w.b. yokes wrote: »
    Which is more ethically wrong? Having a female host a fetus she doesn’t want or stealing and ending a human life? For me the answer is clear

Which is more ethically wrong: having an abortion in Ireland, or having an abortion overseas?

At the end of the day, when you boil it down to its absolute simplest form, this referendum will determine where women can have abortions, not if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The Dáil have passed the repeal bill. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

January wrote: »
    The Dáil have passed the repeal bill. Yay.

Im looking forward to casting my vote.

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Ismisejack

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Once again full blame and responsibility is thrown at the woman. I've asked before and was ignored, so I'll ask again.
    Did the woman spontaneously impregnate herself or does the man have to face any consequences?
    And what consequences should be bestowed on the man? Remember: It must be equal to the physical, mental, and life altering changes a woman will go through. What are your suggestions???
    Or do you only want to punish the woman?

I’m aren’t proposing to punish woman and any suggestions of that are simply ludicrous. Human nature decided that a woman Carry’s a baby , not the man, I don’t have control over that nor does anyone, it just happens to be woman who carry children. And I have zero interest in making women suffer, my interest is standing up for the vulnerable voiceless unborn who will be decimated in Ireland if this referendum passes and killed like houseflys, without thought or consideration. Every child conceived has the right to be born regardless of the circumstances of their pregnancy, if it planned or not. The child’s life is much more important than whatever inconvenience may be caused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Eviltwin and Loafing oaf thread banned. Ignoring mod instruction about calling out suspected reregs on thread.

Ismisejack wrote: »
    I’m aren’t proposing to punish woman and any suggestions of that are simply ludicrous. Human nature decided that a woman Carry’s a baby , not the man, I don’t have control over that nor does anyone, it just happens to be woman who carry children. And I have zero interest in making women suffer, my interest is standing up for the vulnerable voiceless unborn who will be decimated in Ireland if this referendum passes and killed like houseflys, without thought or consideration. Every child conceived has the right to be born regardless of the circumstances of their pregnancy, if it planned or not. The child’s life is much more important than whatever inconvenience may be caused

Leaving aside a lot of things such as rape etc as you've already said that this isn't a reason for abortion, do you see death or potential death from being forced to carry a fetus an inconvenience?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

"decimated" "killed like houseflys" "voiceless unborn"
    Once again, through your excessive emotive language use, you have completely disregarded the women who the 8th has killed, and their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I’m aren’t proposing to punish woman and any suggestions of that are simply ludicrous.
    You cannot be pro-life and believe that women shouldn't be punished for having abortions. The two positions are incongruous.

Either you believe the unborn should be protected by the law (and therefore abortions punishable by law) or you don't.

If you don't, then you're pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

2 girls that I know well

I am sure we all know a few that would probably be the same.

Not because they are women but because they are people

No I don't know a few.

I don't even know one person that has had multiple abortions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Right, have you any actual evidence or indication to support this claim as it's so far ridiculous and wrong it's a joke. You can PM me about this to debate how wrong that statement is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I know no-one who would prefer an abortion over contraception. Do you have any idea how much even the MAP can mess you up for weeks? let alone abortion pills or a procedure, The further along it is the more your body is prepared for pregnancy and it can take a long time to reach normality again. i can't take anyone seriously who says women will fall back on abortion rather than contraception. That is just an invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

It is off line in fact. A couple of girls at work. I thought they would have been pro choice but I couldnt believe it that they were pro life. They gave some arguments about how aside from extreme stories, there is no positive in having abortion without limits. They told me that story about the 14 year old girl who was raped and got pregnant. She was brought to the UK and given an abortion without even explaining it to her. She woke up and didnt even know she had an abortion.

This sounds like the biggest urban myth ever!!

Do you actually believe this story?

Oh and are you sure you didn't miss out on the part that she actually woke up in an ice bath with a kidney missing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have to say, if even if wasn’t pro-choice before this thread, I would be now.
    Pro-life arguments are so preoccupied in shaming the women. Defending the amendment involves a massive leap in absurd logic, paranoia, misinformation and conspiracy. Its amazing to watch, but please don’t stop! :D what’s even more bizarre is they seem to think they’re helping the cause, but are probably doing it a massive disservice with the continual absurdities.
    it’s like watching your favourite team play against those who keep scoring own goals over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This sounds like the biggest urban myth ever!!

Do you actually believe this story?

Oh and are you sure you didn't miss out on the part that she actually woke up in an ice bath with a kidney missing?!

He is talking about miss C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

1. Making a woman carry a pregnancy she cant bare IS punishing her and making her suffer.

2. How can you say that any woman seeking an abortion does so without consideration. Some pro life people think having an abortion is easier than using contraception. Like booking the flight, accommodation, transport, having the procedure, and recovery is more "convenient" than using a condom.

3. REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES you say. Like rape, assault, incest, domestic violence shouldn't be considered as circumstances for abortion.

You just spout inflammatory statements over and over.

You are a cold heartless human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

david75 wrote: »
    The subtle misogyny in this kind of thinking. It’s the woman’s fault for not taking the pill. Or her pill failing. It’s the woman’s fault for having sex. It’s the woman’s fault for getting pregnant. It’s the woman’s fault for wanting an abortion.

Newsflash. It takes two people to make a baby. A man and a woman. Only one of them to carry it (and all the blame it seems).

This blame women thinking is so insidious but somehow keeps coming up

This is the rubbish I hate. I am in no way blaming women.
    Yes you are
    And in the sneakiest way possible

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Ismisejack

The pro abortion side of the debate have no time for the unborn. They don’t care a toss about the unborn, and willingly murder it with little thought, this fact alone scares me. Don’t be fool the unborn is little more than an inconvenience to them on their pursuit to abortion on demand. Besides trying to absurdly claim the unborn doesn’t exsist and isn’t a life, I ask all pro abortion people here, what is yeer solution regards the baby’s or are yee really willing to kill them like that??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Just reading the below-par quality of the pro-life contributions to this thread (IMO) and similar on other media (since forever)…

I (as pro-choice) decided to do a role play game (a well-known business / sports / military technique) where one tries to see the strengths & weakness of the opponent (i.e. pro-life) position, by putting oneself in their shoes, as it were, and see can one do any better at presenting their view with the actual facts available.

Well, now I understand why their arguments are so weak, the best of which are:

• beh-beh (also known as new improved beh-beh)
    • fabricated family or acquaintance anecdotes
    • Ignoring the depravity of forcing women to be unwilling incubators etc.

It’s grim on the pro-life.

I don’t see how this stance can be argued for - if one wants to maintain any level of integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

The pro abortion side of the debate have no time for the unborn. They don’t care a toss about the unborn, and willingly murder it with little thought, this fact alone scares me. Don’t be fool the unborn is little more than an inconvenience to them on their pursuit to abortion on demand. Besides trying to absurdly claim the unborn doesn’t exsist and isn’t a life, I ask all pro abortion people here, what is yeer solution regards the baby’s or are yee really willing to kill them like that??

We aren't pro abortion, we're pro choice.

We do care about the unborn, we care about the women more.

We have no indication nor desire to pursue "abortion on demand".

By the way, it's not murder.

"The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse."

It has plenty of "justification", but please, continue to be wrong.

w.b. yokes wrote: »
    Which is more ethically wrong? Having a female host a fetus she doesn’t want or stealing and ending a human life? For me the answer is clear
    Me too
    No woman should be forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy nor should she be required to justify her decision in forced counselling either.
    Glad we agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

And elements of the pro life campaign (aka all of it) doesn’t care about women either in crisis pregnancies, or facing FFA or after the woman or baby after it’s born.

It’s a completely hypocritical self defeating endless sh!tstorm of lies hysteria and nonsense so far that nobody’s falling for so we have people from that campaign ramping it up and making it as hysterical and totally bat**** as possible.

You don’t care about the unborn. You don’t care about the newborns. You certainly don’t care about women.

So please if I’m wrong on any of this please show me the wonders the PLC are doing for women on after care situations particularly as they relate to counselling or funding women with new borns and huge medical bills?

Once again full blame and responsibility is thrown at the woman. I've asked before and was ignored, so I'll ask again.
    Did the woman spontaneously impregnate herself or does the man have to face any consequences?
    And what consequences should be bestowed on the man? Remember: It must be equal to the physical, mental, and life altering changes a woman will go through. What are your suggestions???

More emotive claptrap from your local friendly voice of Youth Defence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I do care about it. I care about it enough not to bring it into a world where it’s mother would not be emotionally/physically/mentally/financially able to look after it. Using emotive words like murder is nonsense and makes you look silly.

More emotive claptrap from your local friendly voice of Youth Defence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

You've been saying the same things over and over again. You know that none of that is true, you KNOW that. Have you any respect for women? You clearly don't have any respect for women if you think we're all running around "decimating" the unborn and "killing the unborn like houseflies". Do you think we're all actually psychopaths?
    Are you actually serious with all of that nonsense?

Aside from all the factors that influence a woman's decision to have an abortion, they're bloody expensive! Flights, time off work, a hotel for 1 or maybe 2 nights, the procedure itself travelling to and from the airport, any additional medical expenses afterwards, that all costs a lot of money, money that has to materialise out of nowhere all of a sudden. And yet, we're all having multiple abortions willy nilly because it's great fun altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

More emotive nonsense that does every woman who has ever had an abortion a total disservice.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRO ABORTION AND PRO CHOICE? Because it seems that you don't, despite it being explained over and over and over again.

What does your last sentence even mean? You seem to be asking a question but I cannot understand what you're asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Ismisejack wrote:
    PRO CHOICE. CHOICE CHOICE CHOICE.
    No one is pro abortion.

Why are you so hell bent on forcing the birth of children that are not wanted, may not survive, may kill the mother, may end up in care.

You do not care about any child's life or well being after it exits the vagina.

As long as a pregnancy is fulfilled you don't give a flying f*ck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement