Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

david75 wrote: »
    The walking talking contraceptive himself?

Indeed :)

Mod-Now now, Be nice to Mr.Mullen.He is as entitled to an opinion as much as anyone else is and is not here(as far as I know) to defend himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So he has senatorial privellege even here??

That lucky git :)

It is a wonder how he keeps getting elected though. Despite lots of campaigns urging UCG alumni to vote for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-Now now, Be nice to Mr.Mullen.He is as entitled to an opinion as much as anyone else is and is not here(as far as I know) to defend himself.

You ask a very very difficult thing. ;) He is after all, all over the airwaves and in print defending himself and his opinions!

So he has senatorial privellege even here??

That lucky git :)

It is a wonder how he keeps getting elected though. Despite lots of campaigns urging UCG alumni to vote for anyone else.

So much for am educated alumni!

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    So much for am educated alumni!

They just don’t seem to be engaged and use their vote?

I’m not sure how that college vote for senators thing works at all though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

In much the same way we wouldn't let anyone attack you if you were banned from the thread we extend the same courtesy to non members. Personally I don't like the man but fair is fair.

If he signs up and takes part then work away.

To be fair there’s countless threads where Varadkar is being kicked to death. They’re both public figures. I’d say Mullen’s fair game as a result.

Although I can see why it might upset some here. Though I’ve persinally never once seen any sane person agree with anything Mullen has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Conspectus wrote: »
    In much the same way we wouldn't let anyone attack you if you were banned from the thread we extend the same courtesy to non members. Personally I don't like the man but fair is fair.

If he signs up and takes part then work away.

Is it alright to say his opinions are s***e, even for mild pro lifers?
    I'd have a problem listening to his type of moral bull.

To be fair there’s countless threads where Varadkar is being kicked to death. They’re both public figures. I’d say Mullen’s fair game as a result.

Although I can see why it might upset some here. Though I’ve persinally never once seen any sane person agree with anything Mullen has said.

Both valid points. I wonder what the new mod handbook has to say about public figures and the slating of them and some of their published moronic opinions? :)

• Advertisement

They just don’t seem to be engaged and use their vote?

I’m not sure how that college vote for senators thing works at all though.

It is a bit odd that an elite by Virtue of their very eliteness have any say in a Republic. It will be very interesting to see what happens when this bit of legislation goes to our house of Lords, oops sorry Senate. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

I wonder if the pope has a boards account because he got some skating in the last few days on his own AH thread

Both valid points. I wonder what the new mod handbook has to say about public figures and the slating of them and some of their published moronic opinions? :)

I sometimes wander into tinfoil hat madness and think him and those like him have to be plants / sleeper agents and no sane person could say this stuff with a straight face, nor anyone take anything he or his type, says seriously. It’s almost pantomime.
    Then I realise that actually isn’t as crazy in comparison to what they do come out with.

There’s a parallel universe somewhere where it is still their Ireland and they’re in control and calling the shots.
    If I was an outside observer, watching all this from a remove, Between him and john mcguirk, id be comfortable saying this referendum will pass handily.

Then you realise a lot of people listen to these guys and take them seriously.

And then you get depressed.

I sometimes wander into tinfoil hat madness and think him and those like him have to be plants / sleeper agents and no sane person could say this stuff with a straight face, nor anyone take anything he or his type, says seriously. It’s almost pantomime.
    Then I realise that actually isn’t as crazy in comparison to what they do come out with.

There’s a parallel universe somewhere where it is still their Ireland and they’re in control and calling the shots.
    If I was an outside observer, watching all this from a remove, Between him and john mcguirk, id be comfortable saying this referendum will pass handily.

Slow and steady wins the race. Not long now and they'll be in the history books. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

What will they do with themselves when this is all over? Lost marriage equality, losing on the 8th. Somehow a papal visit must seem scant consolation

What will they do with themselves when this is all over? Lost marriage equality, losing on the 8th. Somehow a papal visit must seem scant consolation

I innocently asked the same after we win marriage equality. Yet here they still are.

Next up will be the assisted suicide / euthanasia debate. Not soon, but these same clowns will jump on whatever bandwagon is going by, and assisted suicide / end of life will be their very very last battleground.

They have a fetish about making people suffer it seems.

They have a fetish about making people suffer it seems.

Dare I???

"suffer little children that come unto me, and forbid them not."

All part of the 'grater' glory or am I now you know who quoting scripture to his own ends? :D

Dare I???

"suffer little children that come unto me, and forbid them not."

All part of the 'grater' glory or am I now you know who quoting scripture to his own ends? :D

The one mentioned above has no kids and let’s be honest will never have sex, one of their other mouthpieces has two imported adopted kids. (Yet ‘where is the mother?’ Was his narrative during marriage equality when proposing gays would be adopting kids. Go figure)

Fao Mod-the above is a matter of record. Not insulting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm not so sure the pro-lifers will give up so easily on this subject. Marriage equality is a much more clear-cut issue - same-sex marriage is either legal or it's not, with the same restrictions (e.g. minimum age, ability to consent) across the board, and who's going to bother putting the repeal of marriage equality in their election manifesto?

Compare that with abortion. If the 8th is repealed, the proposed 12-week limit on elective abortions is going to disappoint some people on both sides, either for being too lenient or too strict. Abortion is going to be an election issue, just like housing, the urban/rural divide, worker's rights, taxation, school patronage, social welfare, foreign affairs, the EU, etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Ismisejack

Spoke to a group of fellow young people today(18-22), most hold pro life views, but not all, but those with pro life views all said that same thing, that they felt pressurised by society to keep quiet on their views and that they felt they’d be labeled inaccurate derogatory names such as women haters and dinosaurs ( completely and utterly untrue) if they let their view known, it seems standing up for the unborn is seen as uncool to the elites and biased media up in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Mr.H wrote: »
    But that poster was a little full on and I used that as an example of how bullying has occurred in this thread and has been allowed and ignored by the mods.

Thats your narrative but as I said I am seeing nothing to support it, and as the Mod said, everyone was as bad as each other. So I am not buying your persecution narrative or your narrative that only pro choice views are tolerated. You appear to be making the whole lot up.

When you want to return to the topic though, you were to read my link and return with questions. You were asking about when life becomes life, or a person, and so forth and I think I covered it in the link I sent. If not, ask questions and I can expand on it.

Compare that with abortion. If the 8th is repealed, the proposed 12-week limit on elective abortions is going to disappoint some people on both sides, either for being too lenient or too strict. Abortion is going to be an election issue, just like housing, the urban/rural divide, worker's rights, taxation, school patronage, social welfare, foreign affairs, the EU, etc.

Abortion has always been an election issue as has all other issues such as divorce, marriage equality etc.

PLC often publish lists of politicians and how they have voted in relation to abortion and similar issues.

Not sure if pro choice groups do the same, I'm open to correction on this but given PLC do such a list I don't see how they would need to.

Ismisejack wrote: »
    Spoke to a group of fellow young people today(18-22), most hold pro life views, but not all, but those with pro life views all said that same thing, that they felt pressurised by society to keep quiet on their views and that they felt they’d be labeled inaccurate derogatory names such as women haters and dinosaurs ( completely and utterly untrue) if they let their view known, it seems standing up for the unborn is seen as uncool to the elites and biased media up in Dublin

Something like 700k people voted against marriage equality.im gay. That breaks down to me knowing at least a couple of people that voted against me being equal. And I don’t know who.

This is much bigger. We’re tryihg to oppress every woman in Ireland and every woman yet to come and exclude her from her own reproductive rights.

Kids aren’t stupid. But sometimes they can be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

You can keep attacking the 'other' side as you see it, all you like but it doesn't make what you're saying correct.

Vote in the ballot box on the day, that's all that we have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Ahh katie is that you?
    #itscoolbeingamartyr
    Lol

D- must try harder

Ismisejack has only 40 posts.
    I hereby wish you went up to those kids dressed as forty coats. And gave them sweets if they gave the answer you liked as a treat :)

(I’m joking don’t get flustered)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

On the other side of it, I belong to two mother and baby online groups and out of 160 women, two are prolife, all of us have at least one child. Maybe going through the absolute f<cksh1ttery that is the Irish maternity system makes you see reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Spoke to a group of fellow young people today(18-22)...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

January wrote: »
    I guess the usual suspects from the Merrion Square Tardis had other arrangements.

Nope, she's actually being rolled out by that crowd as a spokesperson now.

She held her miscarried brother at the age of 15. He was 13 weeks apparently.

This in no way fictional incident taught her to 'protect all life' apparently.

• Advertisement

Elites is it now?

Discussing the vote with my dad he's a retired carpenter in his late sixties and is voting repeal.

My cousin who is a high level civil servant in her fifties and is voting to keep the eight.

Both voted the same way, for and against in relation to marriage equality.

Also I've never met anyone who is prolife and afraid to give you their opinion, regardless of where they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement