Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

preacher2 wrote: »
    The simple fact is, deciding whether or not another human being lives or dies based on your own convenience is disgusting and evil. Why should I join a military, deploy, fight terrorism, when babies are being murdered by the hundreds in my own home country?

Anyone who thinks abortion is ok is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

What are you going on about? You registered on boards in 2013 in anticipation of this thread?

They're coming out of the woodwork literally tonight.

Another first time poster thinking abortion is some sort of convenience.

Apt user name and all.

But they held back for so long. I think someone has hacked a load of old accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Another first time poster thinking abortion is some sort of convenience.

Apt user name and all.

I think the easiest thing to do is to just completely ignore posts like that. They'll either elaborate eventually on their point, or go away again.

Plus, I don't even think they're Irish given how they speak about the "military".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

The simple fact is, deciding whether or not another human being lives or dies based on your own convenience is disgusting and evil. Why should I join a military, deploy, fight terrorism, when babies are being murdered by the hundreds in my own home country?

No
    Your disgusting
    But that's ok
    Because we live in a democracy
    And disgusting will lose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

i'm going to assume this was a simple mistake on your part but ground C in the UK is

you seem to have missed the physical part.

It’s true what Bertie says about mental health grounds being the grounds for >90% of terminations in the U.K. - and I’m ok with that

The stars are published by the U.K. government every year.

A lot of his other ideas are nonsense though. Yesterday it was unrestricted abortion up to birth or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Kantar Millward Brown and B&A both give similar results for support for abortion on demand/request up to 12 weeks - around 43yes /35no
    RedC give a much higher number for yes.

So, that's 3 polls, 3 wins for repeal. looks OK to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

If the 8th is not repealed.
    When will the next election for it take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

My friend got the attached leaflet handed to her the other day. We all had some laugh at the last paragraph.

That's actually hilarious! :D I'm impressed they managed to make it all the way to 'point' 7 before descending into absolute insanity.

If you have a picture of the whole thing, I'd love to read the rest of their manifesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What worries me is that once the 8th is repealed, the unborn child has no rights whatsoever under the constitution. That's a problem for me.

There could have been some reasonable replacement for the 8th instead of repeal.

It's like the choice between Hillary and Trump all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

:eek::eek: They're actually giving these out? Surely something that misleading is not allowed?

Allowed? Theres no real regulation to allow or not allow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

Well ok then, since there are some quick replies being thrown lets debate.

First of all I am Irish and I speak of the military as any educated person on that subject would.

So go ahead and give me a reason babies should be killed.

I already know a few of them that you use but lets try to convert me, I have an open mind and I will listen to ALL of your points (keep them simply paragraphed I need to reply). But if I am to listen to your points and consider them, you are to mine.

Goodluck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Simi wrote: »
    That's actually hilarious! :D I'm impressed they managed to make it all the way to 'point' 7 before descending into absolute insanity.

If you have a picture of the whole thing, I'd love to read the rest of their manifesto.

They handed them outside a pro choice event

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

professore wrote: »
    What worries me is that once the 8th is repealed, the unborn child has no rights whatsoever under the constitution.

The unborn had no rights under the Constitution from 1937 to 1983, and abortion was illegal for that entire time.

It was the 8th which made abortion legal.

Why do you call eachother ''pro choice''?

You have choice? You can go out and cut your own ears off if and feed them to birds, nobody cares. You can tattoo a snake over your face, nobody cares. You can get surgery to put fake horns under your skin NOBODY CARES.

You have full choice. But when it comes to a DIFFERENT body (not your body - basic biology) then no, you do not nor will you EVER have the right to decide what happens to it. No matter what happens with the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

First of all I am Irish and I speak of the military as any educated person on that subject would.

I already know a few of them that you use but lets try to convert me, I have an open mind and I will listen to ALL of your points (keep them simply paragraphed I need to reply). But if I am to listen to your points and consider them, you are to mine.

Because as an Irish woman I can be denied medical care if I am pregnant until my life is at immediate risk.

Because as an Irish woman if I find out I am carrying a foetus that will not survive I am forced by law to carry to term, deliver, and watch it die.

Because as an Irish woman if I am having a miscarriage doctors can’t do anything to speed the process, even though the foetus is doomed anyway.

You have full choice. But when it comes to a DIFFERENT body (not your body - basic biology) then no, you do not nor will you EVER have the right to decide what happens to it. No matter what happens with the 8th.

What?

Given your next post, and the one before it, I highly doubt you'll keep an open mind and listen to any posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If it is in my body and dependant on my body to the point that it is leaching calcium from my bones it is not independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

It’s true what Bertie says about mental health grounds being the grounds for >90% of terminations in the U.K.
    Thanks Prof
    The stars are published by the U.K. government every year.
    I was reminded of the mental health ground number when I read the Telegraph article posted earlier. Thanks DubInMeath for the SPUC article. Good one.
    A lot of his other ideas are nonsense though. Yesterday it was unrestricted abortion up to birth or something.
    Can you remind me of the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

They handed them outside a pro choice event

I stand corrected. The first page is even more insane than the second. Just wow!

• Advertisement

But when it comes to a DIFFERENT body (not your body - basic biology) then no, you do not nor will you EVER have the right to decide what happens to it. No matter what happens with the 8th.

We don't need to repeal the 8th for this. Irish people already have a constitutionally guaranteed right to information about abortion and the right to travel for abortions abroad.

Given your next post, and the one before it, I highly doubt you'll keep an open mind and listen to any posts...

If I say I am going to keep an open mind, which I am, and your only argument is ''I doubt you will'' it leaves you in no mans land a bit.

Make an argument please or just dont bother replying to me it doesnt really make sense I will respect anyone who brings forward an actually decent argument (which there are for pro abortion) but coming up with something as wasteful as what you said is just a joke. Lets not joke, we arent clowns in a circus.

If I say I am going to keep an open mind, which I am, and your only argument is ''I doubt you will'' it leaves you in no mans land a bit.

Make an argument please or just dont bother replying to me it doesnt really make sense I will respect anyone who brings forward an actually decent argument (which there are for pro abortion) but coming up with something as wasteful as what you said is just a joke. Lets not joke, we arent clowns in a circus.

Then do you mind explaining what on earth you mean by your other post I replied to?

Then do you mind explaining what on earth you mean by your other post I replied to?

What? I am not asking for you to build me a rocket ship here, I am not here trying to argue with you, which you are clearly trying to do with me and I promise it wont end well.

Just bring me a basic argument for abortion. 1 argument, I seen a women do it a few posts up but Im not sure if shes here for a debate.

Most of you people dont want to listen so I am asking for one of you to come to a debate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Abortion for rape / incest/ medical problems/complications... yes from me.

But not on demand.

Pro choice? you had a choice when the big mickey was going into the love tunnel :p did school not tell you about that part?

On another note, In Ireland, unborn wild birds in eggs have rights but humans don't ? lol

What? I am not asking for you to build me a rocket ship here, I am not here trying to argue with you, which you are clearly trying to do with me and I promise it wont end well.

Just bring me a basic argument for abortion. 1 argument, I seen a women do it a few posts up but Im not sure if shes here for a debate.

Most of you people dont want to listen so I am asking for one of you to come to a debate here.

I'm actually just asking you to explain what you meant by that other post because it didn't make any sense...

Where's the proof that most of us won't listen? The very fact that there's over 12,000 posts between the two pages shows that people are willing to...erm... come to a debate? Posting about how abortion is murder, people who do it are disgusting, that women will never have choice over their wombs even if the 8th is repealed (??), and that because you want to join the army it means you have some sort of right to dictate what should happen (this isn't the US, we don't freakishly worship the army to the point where their opinion gets more weight than others here)... that's not debate either, and none of that shows any indication that you'd be even in the slightest bit willing to listen.

All ears are you. I think you need to be curtious to posters and have a read of this thread, and it predecessor, before wading in with a "convince me post" and then a blood and guts post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Why do you think I am pro-life?

• Advertisement

I am going to keep an open mind

Bar humbug.....

This discussion has been closed.