Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I’ve said countless times that I am pro choice. I will vote to repeal one way or the other.

The poster above you, a pro choicer, clearly states ‘we want abortion on request ’ - clearly some apparently sane folks to want that.

As I say I will vote to repeal regardless but let’s not pretend everyone on the choice is being reasonable.

You are being disingenuous to 'January' the poster above me.

I will not vote regardless....
    I will vote to get rid of an obsolete piece of our constitution that is still being implemented.
    I will vote for the proposed 12 weeks, as it is a start but we will have to see how this goes and as January says it may well prove to be too limiting.
    I am also comfortable with the viability clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To be fair no I don’t - I was being facetious I suppose. I’d imagine it’ll be like any other doctors appointment that you make.
    You were scaremongering.
    I’ve said countless times that I am pro choice.
    I just fear many on the pro choice side want abortion on demand with no questions asked and I couldn’t in good conscience agree to that.
    The poster above you, a pro choicer, clearly states ‘we want abortion on request ’ - clearly some apparently sane folks to want that.
    I like how you mince your words when caught out bullsh|tting...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users Posts: 30,601 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

the_syco wrote: »
    It sounds like the "man believes in feminism to get the ride" meme, tbh.

When I read it it reminded me of a guy trying to get off with Louise O'Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

the_syco wrote: »
    You were scaremongering.

I like how you mince your words when caught out bullsh|tting...

Where was I scaremongering? I just stated that I have a problem with the idea of abortion on demand without proper legislation.

Request or demand it doesn’t matter what word is used - I just don’t want abortion to become another form of contraception is all. There has to be safe guards.

I’m going to stress again that I am PRO CHOICE. I will vote to REPEAL regardless.

I get the impression people think I’m closet pro life which isn’t true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭swampgas

I'm trying to put people off voting yes, but I'm just one man and there's only so much I can do. Thank God for Colm O'Gorman.

Genuine question: why?

Telling any woman that the embryo or foetus in her uterus matters more than she does is abhorrent to me. What makes you so arrogant that you think you can decide for women what they should do when faced with a crisis pregnancy?

Because self-satisfied arrogance is what I'm getting from your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Where was I scaremongering? I just stated that I have a problem with the idea of abortion on demand without proper legislation.

Request or demand it doesn’t matter what word is used - I just don’t want abortion to become another form of contraception is all. There has to be safe guards.

I’m going to stress again that I am PRO CHOICE. I will vote to REPEAL regardless.

I get the impression people think I’m closet pro life which isn’t true.

Abortion cannot be used as contraception. You really do have all the anti choice buzzwords going on. I believe you'll vote for repeal but I really really dislike the way you speak about fellow women using abortion as contraception and demanding abortions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I post in this thread because I want all the women reading it to feel supported and loved. I don't want any woman to feel like she is a murderer or a monster for having had an abortion or wanting to have an abortion. I want every woman to read this thread and know that her reason was valid, no matter what it was.

I would like to think that my input has helped people see the many sides of this matter, it's not as simple as some people make it out to be. It's not as simple as "the only women who have abortions are dirty women who have one night stands" and I hope that people educate themselves and do their own research into this matter.

January wrote: »
    Abortion cannot be used as contraception. You really do have all the anti choice buzzwords going on. I believe you'll vote for repeal but I really really dislike the way you speak about fellow women using abortion as contraception and demanding abortions.

Once again I’m not anti choice. I will vote to repeal. I’ve already said this many times.

Like I said I’m probably being facetious. It’s just that I’ve heard a lot of the more militant pro choice side wanting abortion on demand with no legislation to govern it and that’s just not something I’d like to see.

I’m sure no one will go out to use abortion as contraception but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be legislated for.

If I’m taking the use of the phrase ‘abortion on demand’ wrong please do show me and I will apologize. I do not want to cause anyone any offense.

• Advertisement

You're definitely taking it wrong. It's an anti choice phrase. The legislation will be on request up to 12 weeks. There are many reasons for those requests. Have a look at Neyites Post a couple of pages back.

Women don't use abortion as contraception and they certainly don't demand abortions.

I’m sure no one will go out to use abortion as contraception but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be legislated for.

That's a bit crazy, no? If you're sure no one will do it, why legislate for it?

You seem to be looking for solutions to non-existant problems.

You're definitely taking it wrong. It's an anti choice phrase. The legislation will be on request up to 12 weeks. There are many reasons for those requests. Have a look at Neyites Post a couple of pages back.

Women don't use abortion as contraception and they certainly don't demand abortions.

How many more times - I am PRO CHOICE. I always have been and always will be.

On the rest of your point if I took it wrong then I apologize. I would still like to proper legislation in place for abortion on request.

To anyone I upset or offended here I am sorry - it was not my intention at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Simon Coveney & Chris Donoghue today.

446728.jpg

How many more times - I am PRO CHOICE. I always have been and always will be.

On the rest of your point if I took it wrong and I apologize. I would still like to proper legislation in place for abortion on request.

To anyone I upset or offended here I am sorry - it was not my intention at all.

I never said you weren't pro choice. I said you're using anti choice terms.

What proper legislation would you like to see in place?

• Site Banned Posts: 62 ✭✭Ismisejack

I challenge all here who seem to know it all. All wise ones, I ask , tell me one case where there is no better solution to an issue than an abortion, an instance where something at stake is greater that that of a life.

Simon Coveney & Chris Donoghue today.

446728.jpg

An appropriate image considering the poster.

swampgas wrote: »
    That's a bit crazy, no? If you're sure no one will do it, why legislate for it?

You seem to be looking for solutions to non-existant problems.

Ok if I’m wrong about where this is going then I apologize - I would just like to think that there will be proper procedures in place so that women can informed choices in full knowledge of all the options available and that everything has been done to ensure they are making the right choice for themselves

Again let me apologize for any offense caused to anyone here and stress again I am Pro Choice so I am on your side

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ismisejack wrote: »
    I challenge all here who seem to know it all. All wise ones, I ask , tell me one case where there is no better solution to an issue than an abortion, an instance where something at stake is greater that that of a life.

What "better solutions" are you talking about?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some fierce, falling out of love with Simon, today.
    I see the man working through things slowly, very much in the public gaze. But the weighted majority notion, is just nuts.
    What now about those weak lesser FG TD mortals, who fell in behind him and are now left exposed?

• Advertisement

Take my example. Feeding my already born children took precedence over me giving birth to another child.

First of all, if there’s a will there’s a way. That’s my opinion. If it’s not an option don’t have children play safe in bed simple as that. Regards your contraception fails mantra , that’s a risk , as unlikely as it mite be, that one must be willing to take when having sex. Ending human life isn’t a solution to negligence

First of all, if there’s a will there’s a way. That’s my opinion. If it’s not an option don’t have children play safe in bed simple as that. Regards your contraception fails mantra , that’s a risk , as unlikely as it mite be, that one must be willing to take when having sex. Ending human life isn’t a solution to negligence

So don't have sex with my husband for another 15 plus years that's your solution? It's not workable.

You don't seem to remember much from the answers you're received already.

What about rape? What about FFA? No negligence in either of those cases, and yet the 8th amendment says tough, suck it up. Is that your position too?

So don't have sex with my husband for another 15 plus years that's your solution? It's not workable.

Have it yes , but should it result in child that’s nature, and the child being an inconvenience isn’t a valid reason for murdering it, denying it it’s only life

Have it yes , but should it result in child that’s nature, and the child being an inconvenience isn’t a valid reason for murdering it, denying it it’s only life

Not an inconvenience. Something that would push us into poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This has been done to death. You just refuse to take on board anything.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Your idea of "inconvenience" is staggering.

swampgas wrote: »
    You don't seem to remember much from the answers you're received already.

What about rape? What about FFA? No negligence in either of those cases, and yet the 8th amendment says tough, suck it up. Is that your position too?

Regards rape, victim should be assisted in whatever way possible while having baby and can be put up for adoption if it has to be the case. Rape is wrong, it’s inexcusable however abortion isn’t the solution, two wrongs don’t make a right, you are proposing to murder a child because of its fathers actions. With regards ffa, that is dealt with appropriately in 2013 act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You've been told many times that it is not murder, so please stop banding about a serious baseless accusation. Your horns are showing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement