Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

You can say that again. It's hard to think of anything starker than "BABIES WILL DIE".

Oh if only those posters were protesting the state of our health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

drillyeye wrote: »
    Fanatics.

Theres no way I have a legitimate question or have legitimate concerns of course. No, I'm a bad guy for going against the uninformed grain. I surely hate women or something, there will be no tolerance of dissenting views!

Throughout the last few pages I have argued in good faith, only to be met with, mostly, the same re-worded statements. Whereas your post above proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that all you were really looking for was an excuse to dismiss me and an obvious, important question.

That makes you disingenuous. No matter what is said to you, its all by the by, its all about establishing that biased angle in order to dismiss something you don't like.

That is not to say that all people who want to vote yes are like this, but there at definitely some people, like you, that are like talking to brick walls.

All people need to do is re-read the last few pages, whether registered on here or not, and they will see the blatancy of ignorance on display. People like you, who make the mistake of showing true colours are only going to turn more people against voting yes.

Pointless trying to converse on here, its just seems to be, mostly, a pack of fanatics who will back-up ("like") ANYTHING that establishes their sense of right while dismissing anyone and anything that goes to the contrary.

You let your mask slip. Bye.

(bonus points for trying to flip this against me!)

Nah. You are the flipper. Trying to flip this around to martyr yourself. I have no mask to slip. I am straight up honest on this. You tried to tell everyone here that there is no information and voting yes is an uninformed vote. You simply dont like that I countered your opinion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Will there be debates on the referendum? I am worried that voters will swallow the anti-choice rubbish and scare mongering.

Yes. Balanced as per broadcast laws.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Translation:
    Ohhh noes... turns out the liberalz understand the concept of a written Constitution and how it works and have the audacity to libsplain it several times in clear and concise terms while also asking me to explain what I mean and clarify my points so I'm going to return to a discussion I said I was "done with" to spit the dummy out, indulge in flinging some insults, and scream I'm being oppressed...(cunning plan is to get thread banned so I can say I'm being censored by the "libtard" and biased mods ;) )

Words are interesting. They can tell you so much more than just literal interpretation.

For instance here, you are attempting to put me into group and portray me as a child in some way.

The irony is that in your attempt to ascribe a group, all you are really doing is telling me about you. For example, you are part of a group ("libsplain" "liberalz" "spit the dummy out" "insult" "scream" "oppression" "a plan" "libtard" "biased".)

You are showing everyone who you are, while attempting to do the same to someone else. Funny, isn't it, psychology?

And the way the inanity of the content is backed up by others who are recognising the subconscious siren calls.....ye are gas craic :)

Words are interesting. They can tell you so much more than just literal interpretation.

For instance here, you are attempting to put me into group and portray me as a child in some way.

The irony is that in your attempt to ascribe a group, all you are really doing is telling me about you. For example, you are part of a group ("libsplain" "liberalz" "spit the dummy out" "insult" "scream" "oppression" "a plan" "libtard" "biased".)

You are showing everyone who you are, while attempting to do the same to someone else. Funny, isn't it, psychology?

And the way the inanity of the content is backed up by others who are recognising the subconscious siren calls.....ye are gas craic :)

Oh please. Spare us the amateur psychology lesson.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Nah. You are the flipper. Trying to flip this around to martyr yourself. I have no mask to slip. I am straight up honest on this. You tried to tell everyone here that there is no information and voting yes is an uninformed vote. You simply dont like that I countered your opinion.

As soon as I said I was exiting the "debate", you made a comment full of nasty insinuation.

Tat just tells me that you were wasting my time with your stupid questioning, "I don't get what you mean!?"

You were just imitating a reasonable person (a poor imitation). You let the cat of the bag. You're nicked. You're not reasonable, you don't want to talk, you don't understand questions or statements that a fooking 10 year old could interpret......whats the point!?

You're here to gatekeep the conversation. That's it.

Oh please. Spare us the amateur psychology lesson.

But there is the obvious, nonetheless. Terrible isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Simi wrote: »
    I see they're going for the reasoned and nuanced approach then :rolleyes:

They will.take no prisoners. It was never going to be a nice referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

As soon as I said I was exiting the "debate", you made a comment full of nasty insinuation.

Tat just tells me that you were wasting my time with your stupid questioning, "I don't get what you mean!?"

You were just imitating a reasonable person (a poor imitation). You let the cat of the bag. You're nicked. You're not reasonable, you don't want to talk, you don't understand questions or statements that a fooking 10 year old could interpret......whats the point!?

You're here to gatekeep the conversation. That's it.

MISSION HAS FAILED

ATTEMPT SHUTDOWN THREAD PROCEDURE

gctest50 wrote: »
    MISSION HAS FAILED

ATTEMPT SHUTDOWN THREAD PROCEDURE

What don't you see, when the poster I'm replying to has literally broadcast their ill intentions? That, naturally, only came after the wild goose chase of pretending to have a conversation.

But then again, you're just another one of "them"! (Cue nefarious music!)

Fooking group-think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Well drillyeye, in the interests of getting the discussion back on topic, could you link to or restate what you think the government should have done as I asked earlier?
    Kurtosis wrote: »
    Yes I'm afraid I still do not follow what you would like the government to have done. Could you maybe spell out exactly what you would like to have seen?

To my mind the government have laid out their position in the general scheme linked earlier.
    In another post I did already.
    I don't see how people can be entirely comfortable with uninformed voting.
    Could you point me in the direction of where you described this? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Well the anti.choice are one step ahead on getting their posters up. Powerful posters also.

The pro choice need to wake up.

I plan to get out with a local canvas and do leaflet drops etc. I've also made a donation on the Together for Yes page. I am forgoing my daily coffee and will donate the money I save on this to the campaign on a weekly basis up to the referendum. Every little bit helps.

Hopefully the prochoice posters will get up soon.

Well drillyeye, in the interests of getting the discussion back on topic, could you link to or restate what you think the government should have done as I asked earlier?

Look, I'll tell you this. After other posters were "just asking questions" and turned out to be about as genuine as Italian leather made in Thailand.....

I'm stepping out of this. You could be just the same. Maybe not. But I've wasted enough time on it.

I'm un-following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

every pole on the N4 has been done
    I'm going to report them for false message

1 in 5 babies are aborted in the UK
    THEY ARE FOETUSES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Just reading the past few pages, it is almost inevitable as the voting day approaches that the tried and trusted modus operandi hysteria of the women-are-incubators side will raise to a crescendo – and the calm discussion of the citizen’s assembly will seem a half-remembered, distant memory (or so they think).

I lived thru the 8th campaign in ’83 but as a 14 year old I couldn’t articulate for over a decade or more the nauseating stupidity of what I had witnessed & had to listen to - from the various pre-historic religious lunatics and other assorted authoritarian liars in the different pro-life groups.

This article will give people who weren’t there, a small sense of what that profoundly shameful & disgraceful campaign was like:-

www.joe.ie/life-style/story-of-the-8th-how-right-wing-catholic-groups-staged-a-remarkable-political-coup

The past is a different country and of course it will not happen exactly like that in this campaign but I think anyone undecided should have no tolerance for ignorant hysteria any more from the pro-life / forced-incubation side.

Look, I'll tell you this. After other posters were "just asking questions" and turned out to be about as genuine as Italian leather made in Thailand.....

I'm stepping out of this. You could be just the same. Maybe not. But I've wasted enough time on it.

I'm un-following.

Well I've been nothing but respectful in my responses to you, it's a pity you won't afford me the same courtesy. So much for wanting a legitimate conversation.

Well I've been nothing but respectful in my responses to you, it's a pity you won't afford me the same courtesy. So much for wanting a legitimate conversation.

You see, even here, you are questioning the legitimacy of my intentions. You haven't been rude or anything, but you're revealing that insight all the same, that you're only here to delegitimise anything I have to say.

I might be wrong, but indications say otherwise.

That's it, maybe I'll hit the in-follow button quick enough this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/author-of-savita-halappanavar-report-says-8th-amendment-contributed-to-her-death-810432.html

Savita died as a direct result of the 8th amendment not from sepsis the author into the report on her death has stated.

Edit sorry only seeing the date of this article now... Must have slipped by when it was published but there we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    every pole on the N4 has been done
    I'm going to report them for false message

1 in 5 babies are aborted in the UK
    THEY ARE FOETUSES!

And foetuses from Irish women included in that which they will be fine with although the irony will be completely lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Loadsa people replied to my earlier posts, feckin loads. And I've been busy and it's not easy on mobile and there's plenty worthy of a reply that I haven't got to (yet, anyway), so sorry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

January wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/author-of-savita-halappanavar-report-says-8th-amendment-contributed-to-her-death-810432.html

Savita died as a direct result of the 8th amendment not from sepsis the author into the report on her death has stated.

Like it seems so simple doesn't it. The miscarriage caused the sepsis. Not all miscarriages cause sepsis.

But if a termination had been done when she asked, the sepsis could/would never have even had the chance off occurring.

But legally the termination could not occur because the heart beat was still (faintly) present?

You see, even here, you are questioning the legitimacy of my intentions. You haven't been rude or anything, but you're revealing that insight all the same, that you're only here to delegitimise anything I have to say.

I might be wrong, but indications say otherwise.

That's it, maybe I'll hit the in-follow button quick enough this time.

Well it's a reasonable conclusion to draw when you reject a genuine offer to continue debating the topic. If you change your mind and do want to actually discuss the facts of the situation, the offer stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I plan to get out with a local canvas and do leaflet drops etc. I've also made a donation on the Together for Yes page. I am forgoing my daily coffee and will donate the money I save on this to the campaign on a weekly basis up to the referendum. Every little bit helps.

Hopefully the prochoice posters will get up soon.

A while back I signed up for an "8 for 8 campaign". I started a standing order for €8 to go to support repealing the 8th amendment for 8 months.

I'll be getting out canvassing soon once I have some exams out of the way

What don't you see, when the poster I'm replying to has literally broadcast their ill intentions? That, naturally, only came after the wild goose chase of pretending to have a conversation.

But then again, you're just another one of "them"! (Cue nefarious music!)

Fooking group-think!

....Fooking group-think!

Group-think ?

Which is safer ? :

a) person goes abroad for (medical) procedure

or

b) same person goes abroad for same (medical) procedure in a bit of a hurry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just reading the past few pages, it is almost inevitable as the voting day approaches that the tried and trusted modus operandi hysteria of the women-are-incubators side will raise to a crescendo – and the calm discussion of the citizen’s assembly will seem a half-remembered, distant memory (or so they think).

I lived thru the 8th campaign in ’83 but as a 14 year old I couldn’t articulate for over a decade or more the nauseating stupidity of what I had witnessed & had to listen to - from the various pre-historic religious lunatics and other assorted authoritarian liars in the different pro-life groups.

This article will give people who weren’t there, a small sense of what that profoundly shameful & disgraceful campaign was like:-

www.joe.ie/life-style/story-of-the-8th-how-right-wing-catholic-groups-staged-a-remarkable-political-coup

The past is a different country and of course it will not happen exactly like that in this campaign but I think anyone undecided should have no tolerance for ignorant hysteria any more from the pro-life / forced-incubation side.

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/story-of-the-8th-how-right-wing-catholic-groups-staged-a-remarkable-political-coup-614595?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=onsite_share

"Long before a fully formed PLAC delegation, comprised of gynaecologists, doctors and lawyers, met with Fitzgerald and Haughey, the first anti-abortion foot soldiers were travelling the country."

I've just started reading and I have goosebumps. It sounds so sinister.....

I've just started reading and I have goosebumps. It sounds so sinister.....

more of the same :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-ireland-became-the-only-country-in-the-democratic-world-to-have-a-constitutional-ban-on-abortion-1.1907610

John O’Reilly (COSC) explicitly regarded a successful anti-abortion amendment as a prelude to action against contraception and “illegitimacy”: “The campaign for a pro-life amendment would enjoy widespread support now and the success of the campaign would serve to halt the permissive tide in other areas.”

The most successful single issue movement in the history of the State, the Pro-Life Amendment Campaign (PLAC), was established in January 1981 by 13 organisations:
    the Congress of Catholic Secondary School Parents’ Associations;
    the Irish Catholic Doctors’ Guild;
    the Guild of Catholic Nurses;
    the Guild of Catholic Pharmacists;
    the Catholic Young Men’s Society;
    the St Thomas More Society;
    the Irish Pro-Life Movement;
    the National Association of the Ovulation Method (“natural” contraception endorsed by the Catholic church);
    the Council of Social Concern (COSC);
    the Irish Responsible Society;
    the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children;
    the St Joseph’s Young Priests Society (young Catholic priests, that is);
    and the Christian Brothers Schools Parents’ Federation.

The initial meeting was chaired by the head of a 14th organisation that was immensely influential on the campaign behind the scenes, the secretive, all-male brotherhood the Order of the Knights of Columbanus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That's a fantastic read (just in case anyone see's that it's joe.ie and doesn't bother).

DubInMeath wrote: »

I don't know if any of the pro choice side are pretending to be concerned about rape victims, FFA etc as you claim. I seriously doubt that they are pretending, especially not those posting on here. but I certainly am not pretending I am concerned for them and what they have to go through, not to mention getting basic health care denied because a person is pregnant. Nothing is trivial when faced with such a situation.

Sorry to hear something terrible happened to someone close to you. I'm saying that they don't particularly care, pointing out the hypocrisy in claiming to do so while pushing for a regime more liberal than required to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Does any prolife person honestly believe the abortion issue can be dealt with sufficiently within the confines of the constitution?

• Advertisement

Does any prolife person honestly believe the abortion issue can be dealt with sufficiently within the confines of the constitution?

No idea, but I'd like to see it discussed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement