Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 8th Amendment Part 2 - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No, they don't, but no is still their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can see one of the things that was really driving it :

Farming Humans - take away their babies and sell them, and keep them for work :

The Irish Responsible Society, of which five key PLAC (Pro-Life Amendment Campaign ) leaders were members, was the Irish branch of the group led by the English right-wing Catholic activist Valerie Riches

The first action of her Irish followers was to campaign against a small State grant to the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre.

Its next campaign was against the removal of the stigma of illegitimacy from children born out of wedlock.

http://littleatoms.com/penance-industry

As recently as the 1980s and 1990s, though, I remember witnessing at first hand, this world, where fervent religiosity melded with an invisible, and profitable economy.

Like thousands of women in 20th century Ireland, Elsie was put in a convent for a life sentence.

Her crime?

Having a child out of wedlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

thee glitz wrote: »
    No idea, but I'd like to see it discussed.

Well. You're pro life. What's your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sorry to hear something terrible happened to someone close to you. I'm saying that they don't particularly care, pointing out the hypocrisy in claiming to do so while pushing for a regime more liberal than required to help them.
    Who is "they"? I genuinely know hundreds of pro choice people who who care about what happens to victims of rape, who are genuinely concerned about their welfare, about what they might go through in unwanted pregnancy, about the possible trauma that might cause during pregnancy and even after they make a decision to have the baby e.g. post natal depression. Of course not every victim of rape wants to abort, but some do make that decision and the idea that they should forced against their will to go through the full 9 months if it is an unwanted pregnancy is abhorrent. I just cant figure who "they" is. Are you talking me and all the other pro choice posters here. I havent seen anyone here used victims of rape in a pro choice agenda. In fact it is the opposite many people are pro choice because they care and are compssionate towards women who find themselves in difficult circumstances.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

gctest50 wrote: »
    You can see one of the things that was really driving it :

Farming Humans - take away their babies and sell them, and keep them for work :

Replying with "#LoveBoth" would just be too easy, like Homer beating up the Krusty Burglar.

Sorry to hear something terrible happened to someone close to you. I'm saying that they don't particularly care, pointing out the hypocrisy in claiming to do so while pushing for a regime more liberal than required to help them.

This doesn't make any sense to me, maybe it's the fact that I'm tired. But your saying that the pro choice side don't actually care about these women and are using them just so they can have abortion on demand?

Sorry but that myth has been debunked already as far as I'm concerened. What hasn't been debunked is the PLC side insisting that we don't need to repeal as the health care and assistance that these women receive is fine as long as another child is brought into the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

thee glitz wrote:
    I'm saying that they don't particularly care, pointing out the hypocrisy in claiming to do so while pushing for a regime more liberal than required to help them.
    Who the hell is they.

Most people who are pro choice are so because they care about the lives of women effected by the 8th.

It's the pro life side that have shown here to be lacking in compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

January wrote: »

Well. You're pro life. What's your view.[/quote]

My view is that I've no knowledge of constitutional law or skills in drafting it to be able to propose an amendment that would allow for abortion where reasonably necessary, but also prevent legislation allowing it where not, just that I'd like to see it discussed by those best placed to do so.

Who is "they"? I genuinely know hundreds of pro choice people who who care about what happens to victims of rape, who are genuinely concerned about their welfare, about what they might go through in unwanted pregnancy, about the possible trauma that might cause during pregnancy and even after they make a decision to have the baby e.g. post natal depression. Of course not every victim of rape wants to abort, but some do make that decision and the idea that they should forced against their will to go through the full 9 months if it is an unwanted pregnancy is abhorrent. I just cant figure who "they" is. Are you talking me and all the other pro choice posters here.

"They" is loads of people here.
    I havent seen anyone here used victims of rape in a pro choice agenda.
    It's a pro-choice tactic, visible in this thread. Sometimes coupled with rape for added distress.
    In fact it is the opposite many people are pro choice because they care and are compssionate towards women who find themselves in difficult circumstances.

How is that the opposite? They show that they don't particularly care about rape victims, FFA etc by not seeking that proposed legislation be more restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sean635

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    every pole on the N4 has been done
    I'm going to report them for false message

1 in 5 babies are aborted in the UK
    THEY ARE FOETUSES

A foetus is an unborn human being after 8 weeks. However what do you believe is the difference in moral worth between a foetus and a born baby? Physically the only difference is in growth and development. In your opinion why is it moral to terminate the life of one and not the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,531 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Most Constitutional lawyers, save Mr. Binchy, don't believe it's possible to compose an Amendment that incorporates the complexity of the abortion issue.
    BTW we have history to prove Mr. Binchy was radically wrong, the last time.

sean635 wrote: »
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    every pole on the N4 has been done
    I'm going to report them for false message

1 in 5 babies are aborted in the UK
    THEY ARE FOETUSES

A foetus is an unborn human being after 8 weeks. However what do you believe is the difference in moral worth between a foetus and a born baby? Physically the only difference is in growth and development. In your opinion why is it moral to terminate the life of one and not the other?

I'm not sure what is the post and what is the quote above...but I'm really not sure what is the 8 week timeframe mentioned in this post??

amdublin wrote: »

Religious zealotry.
    Misogyny.
    Sexual repression.
    Control.
    Money.

There's more but it'd be a long list.

I'm not sure what is the post and what is the quote above...but I'm really not sure what is the 8 week timeframe mentioned in this post??

Apologies. I edited and fixed the quote box. By 8 weeks I mean by 8 weeks gestation it’s considered a foetus. Before that it’s an embryo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

How is that the opposite? They show that they don't particularly care about rape victims, FFA etc by not seeking that proposed legislation be more restrictive.

Are you claiming that because the majority of pro Repeal give enough of a **** about ALL womens health care, they don't care enough about specific cases?

D'ya know, you've got us. It's mandatory abortions we're after, we got a big truck load of hammers cheap from some commies, and we want to use them. And we've own the land that all the abortion clinics are going want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Apologies. I edited and fixed the quote box. By 8 weeks I mean by 8 weeks gestation it’s considered a foetus. Before that it’s an embryo

Weren't you banned from posting in this thread?

DubInMeath wrote: »
    This doesn't make any sense to me, maybe it's the fact that I'm tired. But your saying that the pro choice side don't actually care about these women and are using them just so they can have abortion on demand?

I'm tired too, but here goes... No, I'm not saying that they dont care about them. Yes, I'm saying that they are using them to push abortion on demand. They may care about them, but not as much as they claim to, and not even necessarily
    as much as some who intend voting No. The agenda is abortion on demand, stories of rape victims are a happy convenience.
    Sorry but that myth has been debunked already as far as I'm concerened.
    I don't think so?
    What hasn't been debunked is the PLC side insisting that we don't need to repeal as the health care and assistance that these women receive is fine as long as another child is brought into the world.

What's PLC if not a college course? We can probably do better than the 8th but who's got the palatable solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you completely unaware of the reasoning behind the 12 week proposal? It is proposed mainly to address the issue of women who have been raped to avoid retraumatising them through different medical and legal processes.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Religious zealotry.
    Misogyny.
    Sexual repression.
    Control.
    Money.

There's more but it'd be a long list.

Reading the article it’s clear that the Eight Amendment was religiously motivated. But I don’t think that’s a ground for removing it. The amendment itself does not concern religion. There is no mention of god or the church in it’s text. All it does is guarantees an equality of rights between the mother and the unborn. There are atheological arguements for this as well which I believe are the only arguements that matter.

January wrote: »
    Weren't you banned from posting in this thread?

I didn’t realize it was permanent. I thought it had been lifted

• Advertisement

I'm tired too, but here goes... No, I'm not saying that they dont care about them. Yes, I'm saying that they are using them to push abortion on demand. They may care about them, but not as much as they claim to, and not even necessarily
    as much as some who intend voting No. The agenda is abortion on demand, stories of rape victims are a happy convenience.

I don't think so?

What's PLC if not a college course? We can probably do better than the 8th but who's got the palatable solution?

Your posting on a thread regarding the repal or not of the 8th and you don't know that PLC stands for Pro Life Campaign, as it's been used and explained as such already.

Rape victims etc are a happy convenience for the repeal side, I'm sorry but your posting crap.

Edit: if you feel your not post links proving that these people are being used by the pro choice side.

What's PLC if not a college course? .....

google etc is a search engine, giving a bit of context helps

try :

PLC abortion

http://bfy.tw/HRG7

hth

I didn’t realize it was permanent. I thought it had been lifted

Oh you were told it had been lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

MOD NOTE
    Your thread band. Don't post here again!

Oh you were told it had been lifted?

I was told my banning from after hours had been lifted. Does that not mean I’m allowed to post here now?

groundhog day .........

Who are PLC? google is giving me Post Leaving Certificate Courses and of course Public Limited Company.....

You have to "help" it some bit, bit of context like

http://bfy.tw/HK9V

• Registered Users Posts: 30,603 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was told my banning from after hours had been lifted. Does that not mean I’m allowed to post here now?

Hi!
    You can still post in After Hours but your banned from this thread!

Hi!
    You can still post in After Hours but your banned from this thread!

Ok. Sorry.
    Leaving now

Are you claiming that because the majority of pro Repeal give enough of a **** about ALL womens health care, they don't care enough about specific cases?

Abortion isn't healthy or care for the foetus concerned, so considering the procedure 'healthcare' is inaccurate in most instances.

What I'm saying is that they're pushing for a liberal abortion regime where the alternative is retention of the 8th. This can't be considered having a great concern for supposedly special cases, yet many claim to do so over those who would allow for it but who are also uncomfortable with abortion on demand.
    D'ya know, you've got us. It's mandatory abortions we're after, we got a big truck load of hammers cheap from some commies, and we want to use them. And we've own the land that all the abortion clinics are going want.

Sounds like sarcasm, but can we be sure..?

• Advertisement

google etc is a search engine, giving a bit of context helps

try :

PLC abortion

http://bfy.tw/HRG7

hth
    I appreciate that you've gone to some effort, but it would be more efficient for the sake of all to just spell it out. The number 1 result is Peter Lougheed Centre btw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement