Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC FIGHT NIGHT WERDUM VS VOLKOV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Really rooting for Phillips here. Seems like a really nice guy and he's been through a hell of a 2 years trying to actually make his UFC debut.

For anyone who didn't read it, his interview this week on the 42.ie is well worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

jimmii wrote: »
    Chance for sbg to redeem themselves a bit now!

Or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Phillips looks like he never grappled in his life. Taken down in 5 seconds and mounted in 10.

Chalk another loss up for SBG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

jodaw wrote: »
    Holohan - lost his qualification fight on Ultimate Fighter (so could not get to ultimate fighter and should never got to UFC)
    Daly - lost on ultimate fighter
    Pendred - had great heart but never skill for decent level in UFC

Fact is they all got to UFC because of interest in McGregor/Ireland and a huge expansion of the UFC roster.

Out of interest does anyone have a win loss record for SBG in UFC without Mcgregor? It must be shocking.

LOL you were really objective in your analysis there weren't you. Well done on summing up their individual careers in a single sentence.

Pendred, Daly and Holohan all carved out great (albeit short-lived) careers for themselves. They seperated themselves from the overwhelming vast majority of MMA fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Domination there from Byrd

• Advertisement

Is Kavanagh any good as a coach? I mean apart for McGregor every other UFC fighter from SBG have been terrible.

Amirkani was a fighter with some hype aswell, he went to SBG , then disappeared. What happened to the irish SBG takeover?

He got lucky with Conor.

John_D80 wrote: »
    LOL you were really objective in your analysis there weren't you. Well done on summing up their individual careers in a single sentence.

Pendred, Daly and Holohan all carved out great (albeit short-lived) careers for themselves. They seperated themselves from the overwhelming vast majority of MMA fighters.

no. i feel you a biased and not subjective

If any of them fighters were not irish and connected to mcgregor they would never have been in UFC.

If you want to point out how they should ever have fought in UFC, then say what the merit was?

Otherwise we will leave it at that.

Are you connected to SBG?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

John_D80 wrote: »

Seperated from other fighters mainly by being Irish. There are hundreds of fighters in the usa alone that would make short work of all those guys.
    McGregor is a good entertaining fighter he deserves his spot the rest dont.

He got lucky with Conor.

Exactly this. I think he is more and more being found out as a coach on this level.

But it does make you wonder if Conor could have been even better with more legit coaching. Scary thought

no. i feel you a biased and not subjective

If any of them fighters were not irish and connected to mcgregor they would never have been in UFC.

If you want to point out how they should ever have fought in UFC, then say what the merit was?

Otherwise we will leave it at that.

Are you connected to SBG?

I am in no way connected to SBG at all.

Just find it laughable that people are so quick to rubbish the team/coaches when they've accomplished more than the vast majority of MMA teams ever will.

All three of those fighters had records in reputable promotions that that earned them their place in the UFC. Not to mention good runs in TUF by both Pendred and Daly. And all three did well when they got there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Is it not more of a case that McGregor is a once in a lifetime fighter, and the rest of the SBG talent pool is of the level expected from our population? We typically only get a handful of truly top level athletes in most sports each generation to be fair.

I am a fan of Paddy H, Pendred and the Bash though. I thought they did us proud during their time in the UFC, wins and losses. Not every fighter from here is going to be a champ.

Exactly this. I think he is more and more being found out as a coach on this level.

But it does make you wonder if Conor could have been even better with more legit coaching. Scary thought
    On that note, BJJ is the one area where Kavanagh himself is reasonably legit. He has a good lineage and some tournament medals.

And yet that's the area which Conor is weakest. Objectively sub-par on the ground for much of his career.

If that's not the mark of a bad coach I don't know what is.

Another 4,59er they are leaving it late tonight!

Edwards nowhere near that till fight. Till could not go from Cerone to that:pac:

Bisping racing to the bar there haha?

Edwards nowhere near that till fight. Till could not go from Cerone to that:pac:

It's got to be done though in fairness. If he happens to lose in Liverpool and Edwards picks up another win it wouldn't seem crazy.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Bisping racing to the bar there haha?

Must be fun to just have the run of the place just be able to run around where you want lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I remember thinking that when Diaz called out McGregor. Looking forward to Duquesnoy

If Duquesnoy doesn't dominate here he may as well go back to BAMMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Could see ware catching Tom yet

• Advertisement

I do like to see someone using leg kicks so much. Underutilised imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Milking the ball shot for a much needed breather

Wtf was that decision!! They must have given double point for leg kicks?? Baffling enough that it was unanimous but that 30-27 is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

****e judging

30 27??? Give me a break

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

How the f**k did one judge score that 30-27. Shocking scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Did they get the fighters mixed up? What was that?!!

Did they get the fighters mixed up? What was that?!!

That actually makes me sense than the decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Get Tony out of that rain. He will catch a cold and the fight will be off!

I did think Duquesnoy won the first and second but that is weird scoring. 30-27? Crazy

• Advertisement

Khalabeeb 'I don't give a sh1t about Conor' that's how you start a promo haha

Advertisement