Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gazumped After Months of Waiting.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭1641

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Surveyor cost us approx 450.
    Could a lawyer away with charging your full fees if they never get to the point of closing?! I would have thought most of their work is involved in checking over the contracts and amending them, checking land boundaries etc and then the closing process. If the contracts were never signed they couldn't haven't done 2500 worth of work.

I certainly would not accept a fee for full whack in these circumstances - but a solicitor will expect to be paid for his/her time (any any expenses). Many will be more modest with this (maybe considerably so) if they are being retained for the purchase - presuming a purchase is still in the offing. You would need to check this out with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

nectarina wrote: »
    It is a shame even if common practice; in other countries you sign a pre contract soon after closing the deal, where a time frame and conditions are set out. If any of the parties breach those terms, there are penalisations in place.

)

The Law Reform Commission considered the situation in Ireland and recommended no change. A buyer would have to have all surveys and title checking done before negotiating and signing a pre-contract and the result could be that the owner would refuse to deal after the intending purchaser had gone to all that expense. The same thing can happen under any regime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sounds like a horrible experience OP, appreciate you posting this hear to give others fair warning of the possibility.
    Never ever stop looking until you're in the door of the new place. If you find something better or you're being messed about - walk.

Would accepted advice then be to keep biding on other suitable properties, even if you're Sale Agreed on one?

What if you're Sale Agreed on a property but the same Estate Agent has listed another house that you're interested?

Any advice much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

something similar happened to my partner and I.

We were informed 6 months down the line that the house had been sold for social housing (for more than we had initially agreed).

We are since living in our dream home and thanking our lucky stars that the other house fell through.

Fingers crossed you'll be in a similar situation soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

aloooof wrote: »
    Sounds like a horrible experience OP, appreciate you posting this hear to give others fair warning of the possibility.

Would accepted advice then be to keep biding on other suitable properties, even if you're Sale Agreed on one?

What if you're Sale Agreed on a property but the same Estate Agent has listed another house that you're interested?

Any advice much appreciated!

Then pull out of the sale of the first property; realising that you're going to burn your bridges with the vendor and the EA. You may very well end up coming out of a sale that's 80% complete into a quagmire. However if it's 6 months in and the first property hasn't moved it's probably time to move on. In addition the buyer pulling out can sometimes force the vendor to, if they are able, to **** or get off the pot as it were.

You don't have to bid if you keep looking but you're be in a much better position if something goes wrong with plan A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 nectarina

Do you know what the funny thing is?? That this house was actually our plan B!! We gave up on house Plan A after 2 months, because the owner who still lived there didn't find any other place to buy, and she promised to leave any way in a discussed time frame but not only she didn't but also she wasn't collaborative with the paperwork at all. So eventually we found this house...no wonder we don't have the energy to look for Plan C ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A bank did something similar to my mam. After 8 months sale agreed with the bank saying they'll get the paperwork sorted soon they turned around and said they wanted more money while she had been priced out of the market by waiting for almost a year total.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lconmara

Just got Gazumped myself today for a higher offer of 10,000 despite being at conveyancing. They gave me the option to pay the extra which I said no to. Pretty disappointed as had hired surveyors and architects after going sale agreed. Looks like this practice is back.

lconmara wrote: »
    Just got Gazumped myself today for a higher offer of 10,000 despite being at conveyancing. They gave me the option to pay the extra which I said no to. Pretty disappointed as had hired surveyors and architects after going sale agreed. Looks like this practice is back.

Sorry to hear, fair play for standing your ground. I hope the place the vendors by turns out to have pyrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sorry to hear, fair play for standing your ground. I hope the place the vendors by turns out to have pyrite!

Why? Every buyer who is gazumped will still look to make the maximum when they sell. Its naive to think otherwise.

• Advertisement

Why? Every buyer who is gazumped will still look to make the maximum when they sell. Its naive to think otherwise.

There's a world of difference between trying to get the best price and gazumping someone.

There's a world of difference between trying to get the best price and gazumping someone.
    The difference is between the new price offered and the previous bid which is gazumped. It is usually only a few thousand. Not a "world of a difference".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think in the case of getting gazumped, I'd rage and storm to the estate agent.... Delay for as long as possible. And keep coming back with counter bids of a few grand more than the gazumper...
    But I'd be buying a different house completely...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Markcheese wrote: »
    I think in the case of getting gazumped, I'd rage and storm to the estate agent.... Delay for as long as possible. And keep coming back with counter bids of a few grand more than the gazumper...
    But I'd be buying a different house completely...

Nothing to do with the EA to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the EA to be fair.

I know that, but usually the buyer has no direct contact with vendor...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Its thread like these that shows there needs to be an overhaul of how houses are bought and sold in Ireland, I can't see ti happening anytime soon mind.

Auctions are actually a far fairer process as its all out in the open.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Its thread like these that shows there needs to be an overhaul of how houses are bought and sold in Ireland, I can't see ti happening anytime soon mind.

Auctions are actually a far fairer process as its all out in the open.

No need to go as far as auctions. Just adopt the Scottish model of firm offers and proper valuations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

lconmara wrote: »

To be fair everything you did was at risk until contracts where signed. Not excusing what happened but I wouldnt have been appointing any one but the surveyor until it was signed, sealed and delivered.

No need to go as far as auctions. Just adopt the Scottish model of firm offers and proper valuations.

The Scottish model just transfers the risk to the pre-offer stage.

Advertisement