Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can your landlord renovate your house for the next tenancy?

• 17-03-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all

Both parties have agreed on a one month notice to leave the house, as they are eager to decorate the house before renting it again for a much higher amount and we have already found a new place. The thing is that we have been informed by the agency that their idea is to get it decorated as soon as possible while we are still living here.

It won't be a "substantial renovation" as described by RTB or Threshold, just painting, replacing part of the carpet and probably doing some updates as it is an old-fashioned place.

We are not willing to allow this as we believe that putting up with all the hassle, the fumes, with a baby at home, for an improvement that will be enjoyed by next tenants is not fair on us. Apart from this, I am currently at home minding the baby with no family here so nowhere to go, unless at our own expense.

I tried to look it up on the RTB and Threshold website but not found specific information for my case.
    Any advice or legal documents to refer to?

Thanks a lot in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They can wait till you leave.

If it's in an rent pressure zone then they are also restricted with the amount they can up it unless extreme upgrades are done and what you have mentioned aren't what fits into that.

Do not accept this behavior and let them wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nectarina

Thanks for your quick response!

It is indeed in a rent pressure zone but my understanding is that whereas they can only increase the rent to current tenants up to 4% annually, once out in the market they are allowed to set whatever price they want, in line with the market. Maybe I misunderstood the law but given the amount of landlords doing the same I thought they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Did you leave because they told you they were redecorating and upping the rent, or did you first decide to leave of your own accord?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

The still have to stick within the 4% even when you move out. But the new tenants won't know what you were paying so won't know that they are paying probably way above that. We moved into a place where out friends lived, it was advertised for 250 more than what they were paying but because we knew their rent we were able to say that to the agent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

nectarina wrote: »
    Hi all

Both parties have agreed on a one month notice to leave the house, as they are eager to decorate the house before renting it again for a much higher amount and we have already found a new place. The thing is that we have been informed by the agency that their idea is to get it decorated as soon as possible while we are still living here.

It won't be a "substantial renovation" as described by RTB or Threshold, just painting, replacing part of the carpet and probably doing some updates as it is an old-fashioned place.

We are not willing to allow this as we believe that putting up with all the hassle, the fumes, with a baby at home, for an improvement that will be enjoyed by next tenants is not fair on us. Apart from this, I am currently at home minding the baby with no family here so nowhere to go, unless at our own expense.

I tried to look it up on the RTB and Threshold website but not found specific information for my case.
    Any advice or legal documents to refer to?

Thanks a lot in advance
    They are not entitled to do the work whilst you are there. It is a breach of the right to quiet enjoyment. Unless it is essential maintenance you have the right to refuse to allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for your quick response!

It is indeed in a rent pressure zone but my understanding is that whereas they can only increase the rent to current tenants up to 4% annually, once out in the market they are allowed to set whatever price they want, in line with the market. Maybe I misunderstood the law but given the amount of landlords doing the same I thought they can.

Your landlord is restricted to 4% regardless of the change of tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nectarina

Thanks for all your replies! They are very useful; I certainly didn't know that they cannot increase it even with new tenants...I am surprised that the RTB does not control these abuses: the tenancies are registered there and the rent price is shown on contracts.

@Lumen: long time ago we both agreed on leaving the house once we get to purchase a house; the thing is that unfortunately it failed (you can read my experience in the below post) and given that a year has passed by with them having other plans (monetary, of course), we are leaving anyway as neither of the parties are happy with the situation.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106466659

I wonder if you can complain to the Residential Tenancies Board in regards to the increase of price, let's say once the house is advertised at a higher price (around a scandalous €400 more, according to the letting agent)

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I wonder if you can complain to the Residential Tenancies Board in regards to the increase of price, let's say once the house is advertised at a higher price (around a scandalous €400 more, according to the letting agent)

Regards

I may be wrong, but only the new, incoming tenant can make a complaint to the RTB, your tenancy will have ended in relation to that property.

Of course the 4% RPZ restriction applies but when you say "scandalous" increase, what do similar properties rent for in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

davo10 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but only the new, incoming tenant can make a complaint to the RTB, your tenancy will have ended in relation to that property.

Of course the 4% RPZ restriction applies but when you say "scandalous" increase, what do similar properties rent for in the area?

Anyone can make them aware whether they act on the info thats another thing.

Advertisement