Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

EnzoScifo wrote:
    Just got the 8.1 update. No sign of the google mini yet

Should have em this week. Tomorrow even. Depending on stock levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

My Google home mini was also delivered today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

How do I get the Google home mini? Is it free?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

eh i dunno wrote: »
    How do I get the Google home mini? Is it free?

Yes, it's free.

https://www.nokia.com/en_gb/phones/googlehomemini

Open for another 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Yeah, there was no need to use parcel motel or any other UK address. Ireland came up as a option when entering delivery address.

Yep,but found out too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Yes, it's free.

https://www.nokia.com/en_gb/phones/googlehomemini

Open for another 2 weeks

I just ordered mine today. No sign of any updates yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Anyone who got a free Google mini buy the phone from Vodafone?

The Nokia page about the offer (https://www.nokia.com/en_gb/phones/googlehomemini) says 'selected retailers' but I don't see a list online and the Vodafone website doesn't mention anything about a free Google mini (http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/nokia-7-plus-pay-as-you-go-black) but the carphone warehouse does (https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/nokia-7-plus), so I am not sure if phones bought from Vodafone Ireland are eligible for this free Google mini offer? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭robinwing

mystic86 wrote: »
    Anyone who got a free Google mini buy the phone from Vodafone?

The Nokia page about the offer (https://www.nokia.com/en_gb/phones/googlehomemini) says 'selected retailers' but I don't see a list online and the Vodafone website doesn't mention anything about a free Google mini (http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/nokia-7-plus-pay-as-you-go-black) but the carphone warehouse does (https://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop/phones-plans/all-phones/nokia-7-plus), so I am not sure if phones bought from Vodafone Ireland are eligible for this free Google mini offer? Thanks.

I bought mine from Vodafone website and got the offer no problem it arrived by courier van to the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Just got the android update too. Finally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Just got the android update too. Finally!
    interesting - did it come out of the blue to your v8.0 Feb 1 spec phone ? I got impatient a few weeks ago and did the Nokia Developer rollback to 8.1 option via adb etc etc. The it got the May 1 update straight away.

mx5ire wrote: »
    interesting - did it come out of the blue to your v8.0 Feb 1 spec phone ? I got impatient a few weeks ago and did the Nokia Developer rollback to 8.1 option via adb etc etc. The it got the May 1 update straight away.

Ya, had the Feb version 8.0.
    Update popped up this morning. For some reason i had to install 2 updates but I'm now on May 8.1.

Update popped up this morning. For some reason i had to install 2 updates but I'm now on May 8.1.
    Thats great - maybe it was just an initial slowness to release the first bunch of updates post phone release. Hopefully it will be a more regular occurrence moving on from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I did the rollback myself. Updated it just now, had been on April update only. Now on May.

GBX wrote: »
    I did the rollback myself. Updated it just now, had been on April update only. Now on May.
    That's curious - after i rebooted mine after the 8.1 install it automatically picked up the May  update and put it on, it didnt hang around waiting for me to do it manually.

Mine happened the same way.

• Advertisement

Just found the following tips to enable navigating around the phone using the finger print reader. It's taking me some time but I'm getting used to tapping the FP reader for "back" and long press for "home".

Follow these steps:
    1. Open settings app
    2. Tap search
    3. Type "navigation" or "fingerprint"
    4. Tap Navigation Key of Fingerprint and thats it

This feature seems to have been removed with this update, very annoying!! Battery life seems to be after taking a hammering too it's dropping very quickly.

jca wrote: »
    This feature seems to have been removed with this update, very annoying!! Battery life seems to be after taking a hammering too it's dropping very quickly.

Ya, noticed that alright. Shame.
    My battery is still fine though. 86% and I took it off charge around 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The fingerprint scanner gestures?
    I have that, and I'm on 8.1 May security patch.
    Though my software is the "downgrade" file from the P Beta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

On the plus side. I've ordered the free Google Voice tapping device.

emo72 wrote: »
    On the plus side. I've ordered the free Google Voice tapping device.

You mean another one? :D
    The N7+ is a google voice tapping device too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Paremon

Cracked the screen of my N7+ while on hols. Fairly small crack, works perfectly but if it's not crazy money I'll likely get the screen replaced anyway. Looking for recommendations of where to get quotes to get the screen replaced. Thoughts?

So far;
    Fonfix.ie in Sandyford; Vodafone use them but they need to send it off to them just to get a quote! Poor Google reviews. Avoiding them.
    jackophones.ie; good reviews (here on boards & on Google reviews); but based in Swords & I'm in North Wicklow / South Dublin. Also no answer on their phone. Still in business?

Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Paremon wrote: »
    Cracked the screen of my N7+ while on hols. Fairly small crack, works perfectly but if it's not crazy money I'll likely get the screen replaced anyway. Looking for recommendations of where to get quotes to get the screen replaced. Thoughts?

So far;
    Fonfix.ie in Sandyford; Vodafone use them but they need to send it off to them just to get a quote! Poor Google reviews. Avoiding them.
    jackophones.ie; good reviews (here on boards & on Google reviews); but based in Swords & I'm in North Wicklow / South Dublin. Also no answer on their phone. Still in business?

Any other recommendations?

U can bring it to fonfix yourself. They'll have it fixed same day if they fix the Nokia 7 plus

iggy wrote: »
    U can bring it to fonfix yourself. They'll have it fixed same day if they fix the Nokia 7 plus

Thanks, I would but as I say the Google reviews for Fonfix don't inspire confidence. Open to other recommendations though.

iggy wrote: »
    U can bring it to fonfix  yourself. They'll have it fixed same day if they fix the Nokia 7 plus

Thanks, I would but as I say the Google reviews for Fonfix don't inspire confidence. Open to other recommendations though.
    i have used fonfix as a few times over the years, mainly due to vodafone work contracts. I found them painful, and their processes are idiotic. For example, they will insist on wiping the phone, even for a screen replacement. I had to escalate repeatedly to a manager there to stop this happening. Also if you drop it in directly, you will have to pay them there and then, they will not bill your company directly, which they will do if you use a courier. I would say avoid.

i have used fonfix as a few times over the years, mainly due to vodafone work contracts. I found them painful, and their processes are idiotic. For example, they will insist on wiping the phone, even for a screen replacement. I had to escalate repeatedly to a manager there to stop this happening. Also if you drop it in directly, you will have to pay them there and then, they will not bill your company directly, which they will do if you use a courier. I would say avoid.

Similar to the reviews I've read.
    Vodafone store also confirmed that Fonfix would need to wipe the phone. Seems a bit much for a screen replacement!

Tried a couple of other places; screen not in stock & unsure when it will be available. Seems the N7+ is still a bit new as yet.

One thing I noticed that has disappeared since I updated is the option for "Face Unlock" has gone. It was in the menu but wouldn't actually work. It had the option to assign a facial profile but that was it. Won't be missed but maybe for a future update?

One thing I noticed that has disappeared since I updated is the option for "Face Unlock" has gone. It was in the menu but wouldn't actually work. It had the option to assign a facial profile but that was it. Won't be missed but maybe for a future update?

Tis still there under smart lock! :)

Called trusted face now

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Tis still there under smart lock! :)

Called trusted face now

oh yeah it is :o .. I searched the settings and it didnt come up!

oh yeah it is :o .. I searched the settings and it didnt come up!

Settings search on Android is a load of bollix.
    Even if you are 100% sure it's there, it often doesn't come up in a search :)

That face unlock is weird!
    It'll unlock the unit, but you still need to swipe up, to get into the home screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Out of interest, has anybody who ordered the Google Home Mini to parcel motel or a similar service received delivery yet? Starting to worry I put my details in wrong but no way to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

breeno wrote: »
    Out of interest, has anybody who ordered the Google Home Mini to parcel motel or a similar service received delivery yet? Starting to worry I put my details in wrong but no way to check.

i ordered mine yesterday to my home address, however i only put half my address in plus an eircode. the order was accepted, feck knows how its going to get to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You could have just put in the eircode and it'd find you, that's what they're for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Been looking at replacing a smart ultra 6 for the last few months and was between the Nokia 7 and Note 5 Pro and went with the Nokia in the end, seemed a good price with Vodafone and the fact that it is unlocked helped.

Ordered online yesterday and has just arrived, prompt service! Waiting on a screen protector arriving before fully using it.

Went to the Nokia site for the Google Home Mini and my details seemed to be accepted alright, so will see when that arrives, says that it will be dispatched as soon as possible. Already have a couple of Google Home's so that will be a nice addition for one of the bedrooms.

Nice phone in the hand, definitely a bit more weight to it than the Ultra and sizeable jump in spec. Not much difference in size either.

Edit: Comes with a clear plastic case in the box for those looking at ordering a case for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I presume these are still arriving unlocked? Might see if I can pick one up in a Vodaphone shop today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Schorpio wrote: »
    I presume these are still arriving unlocked? Might see if I can pick one up in a Vodaphone shop today....

Order on line. Next day delivery.i found the shops have very little stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Schorpio wrote: »

Ordered one on Wednesday night around 10pm, arrived with the post on Friday. Not locked to Vodafone and enjoying it so far, although it'll only cast to Chromecast, apparently it's a feature of newer android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Similar to the reviews I've read.
    Vodafone store also confirmed that Fonfix would need to wipe the phone. Seems a bit much for a screen replacement!

Tried a couple of other places; screen not in stock & unsure when it will be available. Seems the N7+ is still a bit new as yet.

data protection lads,thats why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Staplor wrote: »
    Ordered one on Wednesday night around 10pm, arrived with the post on Friday. Not locked to Vodafone and enjoying it so far, although it'll only cast to Chromecast, apparently it's a feature of newer android.

I've been casting different bits to my xbox and fire tv without any issues. I use BubbleUPnP or Allcast and not stock software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Did anybody who went the Parcel Motel route for the free Google mini get theirs yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    Did anybody who went the Parcel Motel route for the free Google mini get theirs yet?

Nothing yet, no notification etc,lost in space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

Have a Samsung S6 would the N7+ be a noticeable upgrade for me?

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/nokia-7-plus,samsung-galaxy-s6-64gb

In certain specs the s6 scores higher than the Nokia, but the s6 is a 3 year old phone so. I would say yes. Battery life is fantastic, Android One updates ... not buggy. No Samsung bloatware.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare/nokia-7-plus,samsung-galaxy-s6-64gb

In certain specs the s6 scores higher than the Nokia, but the s6 is a 3 year old phone so. I would say yes. Battery life is fantastic, Android One updates ... not buggy. No Samsung bloatware.

That's very helpful thank you. Only little issue I see with the N7+ is not having the notification led, hardly a deal breaker but are people finding it annoying?

CWF wrote: »
    That's very helpful thank you. Only little issue I see with the N7+ is not having the notification led, hardly a deal breaker but are people finding it annoying?

I have gotten used to it - there's an ambient wake when notification's come in which makes up for the led.

• Advertisement

I have gotten used to it - there's an ambient wake when notification's come in which makes up for the led.

Thanks, sounds good!

CWF wrote: »
    Have a Samsung S6 would the N7+ be a noticeable upgrade for me?

No wireless charging which I still miss from my S6, since the latest double updates battery life on mine has taken a huge nosedive and no amount of tweaking will resolve. Battery life is about the same as the S6 now and worse than the J5 I had.

No wireless charging which I still miss from my S6, since the latest double updates battery life on mine has taken a huge nosedive and no amount of tweaking will resolve. Battery life is about the same as the S6 now and worse than the J5 I had.

My battery life is honestly pretty good!
    4hrs SoT and still 58% left :)

452619.png

That's strange. Nearly everyone says battery life is excellent on the N7+. I went into Vodafone on Henry St Dublin just now and the lady tells me the phone will come locked to Vodafone when you buy payg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

90 mins non WiFi screen time has me with 73% battery today.

And phone still has a habit of freezing which requires screen lock and unlock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement