Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

It comes unlocked from VF I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Paremon wrote: »
    I'm considering buying the N7+ from VF, unlocking it (if locked) & using it with another provider's PAYG plan (better value compared to VF's plans but they don't sell the N7+).

Can anyone see any drawbacks with this approach?
    E.g. Would I still be able to avail of the Androind One updates, despite not using it on the VF network? If not is there a way around that (e.g. pop in a VF SIM temporarily)?
    Any recommendations of where to get it unlocked & approx cost?

That's exactly what I do. Worked fine for me straight out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Paremon

Have you received any/all Android updates despite being on a different carrier/network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

How are people finding audio over regular wired earphones?

biebiebie wrote: »
    It comes unlocked from VF I thought?

I know early orders were all unlocked (which tends to be the norm & is confirmed by posters/owners on this thread) but with an expectation that later stock would likely be locked. Unknown though if the current stock is locked or not (all VF staff will say it is locked, even if they're not). Anybody here get one recently (e.g. within the last week or 2) who can confirm if locked or not?

corwill wrote: »
    How are people finding audio over regular wired earphones?

Perfect, no issues. The bottom of the jack can be tight so sometimes it's necessary to just double check the headphone connector is fully inserted all the way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Picked one up on Friday. Absolutely delighted with it so far. Never been as happy with a phone since my original Nexus 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

conzy wrote: »
    Picked one up on Friday. Absolutely delighted with it so far. Never been as happy with a phone since my original Nexus 5.
    Was it network unlocked do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Got one from VF online . Unlocked so popped in my Eir sim.
    Bloat free and battery best I've had.
    Came from a galaxy s6 Edge and this is far better.

Best phone I've bought for price. €319 and got the Google mini free. Sold the Google mini for €40 as I have a few Amazon Alexa in the house.

Camera is decent enough. Have the Google cam installed too.

Really happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Face unlock on the way - possibly with Android P

https://www.xda-developers.com/nokia-7-plus-nokia-6-1-nokia-8-face-unlock/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What is different about that from the one that we already have under Smart Lock?

Trusted Face.

I have yet to get it working on mine and reading elsewhere, it is not activated on some devices. Hasn't worked for me yet. I disabled it/removed the face I had saved.

I know the phone lights up when notifications come through or if you lift the phone. But it would not unlock using the face feature.

** Could be because of my less than boyish good looks :pac:

I would prefer a better implementation of it alright.

Right now, those auto screen on situations would not open the phone.
    You need to pick it up, and press the power button.
    Point it at your mug (doesn't matter how gorgeous or hideous you are :P).
    Down the bottom, the fingerprint icon changes to a human in profile icon, then to an unlocked padlock.
    Once you see the unlocked padlock, you can swipe up, to get through to the home screen.

Hopefully, the new way, brings you home automatically :)

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I would prefer a better implementation of it alright.

Right now, those auto screen on situations would not open the phone.
    You need to pick it up, and press the power button.
    Point it at your mug (doesn't matter how gorgeous or hideous you are :P).
    Down the bottom, the fingerprint icon changes to a human in profile icon, then to an unlocked padlock.

Once you see the unlocked padlock, you can swipe up, to get through to the home screen.

Hopefully, the new way, brings you home automatically :)

Ahhh I didnt realise thats how it worked! :o Thanks. So I was probably expecting full unlock by facial recognition

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    Ahhh I didnt realise thats how it worked! :o Thanks. So I was probably expecting full unlock by facial recognition

You're not the only one.
    I assumed it would go straight through myself.
    Only a bit of messing about, that I figured out what was happening!

Pointing it at a face, should unlock it immediately and bring you home. :)

Anyone running P Beta 2 (dev preview 3)?

Google released it to pixels in the last couple of weeks, but I can't see if the N7+ got it yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone running P Beta 2 (dev preview 3)?

Google released it to pixels in the last couple of weeks, but I can't see if the N7+ got it yet!
    Sign up as a Nokia developer and access Android P developer preview builds for the 7+:

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/developer (note, site does not display well on Firefox for some reason...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Anybody a recommendation for a 3rd party charger/cable? I forgot my charger at a place where I won't be for days, so time to get an interim one and it looks like there are no Nokia Chargers available anywhere in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Heiser

Anybody a recommendation for a 3rd party charger/cable? I forgot my charger at a place where I won't be for days, so time to get an interim one and it looks like there are no Nokia Chargers available anywhere in Dublin.

Was thinking of getting this phone, does it not use the regular usb charger all other Android phones use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Heiser wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting this phone, does it not use the regular usb charger all other Android phones use?

Depends on what you call regular.

This requires a type c cable (not micro).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

iggy wrote: »
    Got one from VF online . Unlocked so popped in my Eir sim.
    Bloat free and battery best I've had.
    Came from a galaxy s6 Edge and this is far better.

Best phone I've bought for price. €319 and got the Google mini free. Sold the Google mini for €40 as I have a few Amazon Alexa in the house.

Camera is decent enough. Have the Google cam installed too.

Really happy with it.
    I also have the S6, in what ways is the N7+ better?

Sign up as a Nokia developer and access Android P developer preview builds for the 7+:

https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/developer (note, site does not display well on Firefox for some reason...)

Thanks, I've been looking for that URL :)

I was going to comment and say that the Beta is not available for my T-1062, but now appears to have been included, besides the China Variant. I will have to do a bit more reading into it, but I put mine onto the WW version as soon as I got it, using a trick from XDA.

I'll get there in the end :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Have you access to a PC/Laptop? If so you could charge from it with a USB A to C cable - I'm using a Sandstrom brand bought from PC World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

just picked one of these phones up today, entered my imei and confirmed the Google yoke to an address in Dublin, happy days.

feels like a nice phone in the hand, hoepfully it lasts about 18 months

could someone point me at relaible and good quality USB-C chargers please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

could someone point me at relaible and good quality USB-C chargers please.

Avoid the pound shops and you'll be fine!
    Actually, at home I use the provided USB wall charger, in work I use a usb A to usb C cable and use the PC port and in the car I have a decent usb A fast charger which I use another usb A to C cable.

Think I'll get one of these. People that have owned one the last few months what do you think if it? What's great and what's not. I've heard the sound quality isn't great but the battery and camera are?

I think it's one of the best phones out there. Nothing too bad about the sound. Battery life is brilliant. Camera is fantastic alright. Go for it!

GBX wrote: »
    I think it's one of the best phones out there. Nothing too bad about the sound. Battery life is brilliant. Camera is fantastic alright. Go for it!

I'm torn between this and the p20 lite. P20 lite has better specs but the Nokua looks and feels much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭BurnUp78

Picked one of these up today for a family member and i have to say its a cracking little device. Feels much better in the hand than my s9+ and looks way cooler too imo.

I'm liking it so far, after probably 5 days of use, battery is excellent, it got me through all of Saturday which was spent whatsapping all through the england match, and right to Sunday evening still with about 20% battery.

Very slick operation too, no lag to speak of, and it's run all my apps properly with no crashes - spotify, pocketcasts, netflix, football score app, paddy power, leap card, news apps, bbc radio app, etc etc all good

Is the vodaphone online store still the cheapest place to get one of these unlocked at €319? Three have it for €339

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've been using these USB C cables for a while now and I have to say they are bulletproof. Ive yet to damage one despite trying hard :)

http://amzn.eu/fpjiPtJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Heiser wrote:
    Is the vodaphone online store still the cheapest place to get one of these unlocked at €319? Three have it for €339

Also interested to find out the cheapest place to get it... Was considering the Oneplus 6 but I don't really use my phone for anything major, other than using it as a hotspot and am due an upgrade from my Oneplus One, which has lasted nearly 4 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I tried two Vodafone stores today and it wasn't in stock. I'm a Three customer myself, but they are charging €339 plus another €10 for a PrePay SIM so I'd prefer to save thirty quid and get it unlocked from Vodafone.

I know it's been asked before, but can anybody who bought a recent 7 Plus from Vodafone confirm that they are still SIM free?

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I tried two Vodafone stores today and it wasn't in stock. I'm a Three customer myself, but they are charging €339 plus another €10 for a PrePay SIM so I'd prefer to save thirty quid and get it unlocked from Vodafone.

I know it's been asked before, but can anybody who bought a recent 7 Plus from Vodafone confirm that they are still SIM free?

I got one last week, haven't tried a different sim in it, but there's no vodafone splash screen when it's turned on or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

It was confirmed by Vodafone reps on the forum that they come sim free. From what I was told the new Nokia phones don't come network locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭BurnUp78

the mother forgot her charger so tried to charge her nokia 7 plus with my samsung charger, when i put it in it says its charging but after 10 seconds it stops. Tried my own phone and it works fine so its not the charger. The phones only 3 days old the port couldnt be faulty already could it?

• Advertisement

That's strange .. I actually use a Samsung charger occasionally. Never have an issue with it. Have you tried a different cable to the one you normally use?

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    the mother forgot her charger so tried to charge her nokia 7 plus with my samsung charger, when i put it in it says its charging but after 10 seconds it stops. Tried my own phone and it works fine so its not the charger. The phones only 3 days old the port couldnt be faulty already could it?

The charger just isn't compatible!
    It'll work again when you use the Nokia charger!

Just got the July security update.

Well I picked up one on Tuesday from three and I'm returning it today... Is definetly not better than my 4 year old OnePlus One... Battery was gone in less than a day and Took 3 hours to charge..
    No notification LED either... Not great IMO.. I'll just replace the battery in my OPO and get another year out of it...

Well I picked up one on Tuesday from three and I'm returning it today... Is definetly not better than my 4 year old OnePlus One... Battery was gone in less than a day and Took 3 hours to charge..
    No notification LED either... Not great IMO.. I'll just replace the battery in my OPO and get another year out of it...

Mine has charged to 95% this morning in 90mins. I came from a One Plus 2 and find this a much better phone. Not having an LED is something I've gotten used to as the ambient display makes up for it.

It's all personal opinion, but:

I found it just as good as my OnePlus 5, that it replaced.
    To say it's no better than a OnePlus 1?
    Come out of the fog...

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

3100 mAh battery vs 3800 mAh.

Its not the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

How heavily are you using it?
    I regularly get two days from mine, sometimes just shy of three.
    I'll get a day and a half with heavy enough usage.

marcbrophy wrote:
    I found it just as good as my OnePlus 5, that it replaced. To say it's no better than a OnePlus 1? Come out of the fog...

I have to say I really don't find it that much better for a phone that is 4 years newer, running the latest version of Android...

How do you find the battery usage? Does it take you long to charge the phone?

GBX wrote:
    Mine has charged to 95% this morning in 90mins. I came from a One Plus 2 and find this a much better phone. Not having an LED is something I've gotten used to as the ambient display makes up for it.

Do you find the battery to be better and did u have the same issue charging Initially if you can recall?

I have the store checking it for an issue now with the battery, but looks like I will have to get used to it... Because I bought it in-store means that I am not entitled to return it... You are only entitled to return a.phone if you buy online or over the phone due to distance selling regulations...

I have to say I really don't find it that much better for a phone that is 4 years newer, running the latest version of Android...

How do you find the battery usage? Does it take you long to charge the phone?

As a medium to heavy user, I can say that during a 24 hour period, I have found that I have used between 45% to 60% of the battery, most times.
    To need to charge the battery by end of day, I assume we are talking 12-16 hours, you must be going hardcore or have something draining the battery big time :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement