Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Genghis wrote: »
    Did everyone get their Google Home Mini?

Nope! Rang Nokia loads of times but still a no show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Genghis wrote:
    Did everyone get their Google Home Mini?

No, had forgotten all about it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Using the phone method ofn xda I upgraded to the final (took forever) and now I can use googlepay and my banks apps again as the device is once agian certified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Uploaded using the manual process via download and keypad. So far so good.

GBX wrote: »
    Uploaded using the manual process via download and keypad. So far so good.

It will take a while for it to complete, mine took over 90 minutes followed by a quick reboot and after reboot, I had the new version.

Also, it looks like doing it this way will not erase anything, everything is still there.

Hope it works for you too.

It will take a while for it to complete, mine took over 90 minutes followed by a quick reboot and after reboot, I had the new version.

Also, it looks like doing it this way will not erase anything, everything is still there.

Installed it earlier today. Working grand so far. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

This news pleases me, was dreading trying to remember all the passwords to everything.

This news pleases me, was dreading trying to remember all the passwords to everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm liking Android 9 so far.
    Having the time on the left makes a lot of sense. Cleaner top bar I think.
    Phone feels snappier too.

• Advertisement

And updated.
    I now have a Google search bar stuck at the bottom.of the screen, dammit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Tazzimus wrote: »

Google smartpass or whatever it's called has taken a lot of that pain away anyway!

I can sign into most things without having to remember the damn passwords :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Is it easy to update?
    Thinking I'll hold on til I get the update but I would fire ahead if easy process.

iggy wrote: »
    Is it easy to update?
    Thinking I'll hold on til I get the update but I would fire ahead if easy process.

It's fairly simple iggy :)

1. Download the 9.0 file from post 1 in the linked thread below.
    2. Change the name of the zip to the file name mentioned in post 2.
    3. Enter the code in post 2 into your dialler, and the update will begin :D

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nokia-7-plus/development/ota-nokia-7-plus-ota-links-t3818774

Yggr said earlier that the update took 90 mins, was a little shoter for me, I'd say an hour, but everything was in place when it was finished. Great stuff from Nokia!

One caveat! Make sure you are on the latest software you can get before you update. I know you are, but just in case someone on older software sees my post and tries to update straight to 9.0.

Also, goes without saying, but I am not responsible for any unforeseen issue that may occur by following the steps above ;)

I had an issue after the upgrade in which network activities that included a download of a file etc. did not work until several minutes after they were initiated. Example: Play Store Updates, downloads from OneDrive. This was both on WiFi and on 4G.

Did a factory resert and no more delays, files come down as requested.

I got some error about netflix not working, but relaunching the app worked for me.
    Ended up installing Nova just to get rid of that search bar on the bottom of the screen.
    What was the original launcher on the phone? I liked that one

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite to you Tazzimus, I have Nova and the search bar added at the bottom. I find it handy it there.

That's one of the great things about Android. It's so customisable! 99% of the time there's an option for everybody :D

I have the search bar on my second screen along with other apps I use a fair bit, I just like my home screen to have the bare minimum, which I find funny considering I came to this from a Windows phone :)

I was excited for the 7.1 plus to be announced. But now that it's Chinese variant, X7 has gone official, I'm a little it concerned with the choice to use a smaller battery!

https://telecomtalk.info/nokia-x7-officially-launched/182379/

For those that don't know, and it's all in the article, the X7 is the Chinese variant of what will be the 7.1 plus, when it gets a global release.
    The 7.1 plus is the direct successor to our phone, the 7 plus :)

Everything else looks improved upon, then they go and dial back the battery from 3,800 to 3,500 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The battery life on the 7 plus is pretty ridiculous and I was hoping it was something they were planning on doing for all their phones in the future. I wouldn't want to give up this battery life. This is the first smartphone I've owned where even really heavy usage doesn't have me reaching for the charger before bed time. I don't want to give that up.

• Advertisement

The battery life on the 7 plus is pretty ridiculous and I was hoping it was something they were planning on doing for all their phones in the future. I wouldn't want to give up this battery life. This is the first smartphone I've owned where even really heavy usage doesn't have me reaching for the charger before bed time. I don't want to give that up.

While it's less than an 8% loss in battery capacity, I tend to agree with you.

On the plus side, it's the first phone that I'm aware of that'll allow dual sims and a third slot for MicroSD :)

Yeah, kinda been spoilt by the day and a half/two day battery life on this phone.
    It's gonna be the yard stick on any upgrades.

So I said goobye to Vodafone this morning and put in my new Eir SIM (no jokes please) and after a reboot I now have WiFi calling despite eir not listing this phone as compatible on their webpage.

Also the network provisioning for the APN etc. was done smoothly in the background and it picked up the 4G without problem.

Unfortunaty vodafone is not as strong where I curently am located and eir is better, so lets hope the phone does work fine and brings the same battery life (I'm also a heavy user) as network is a large contributor to battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

marcbrophy wrote: »
    On the plus side, it's the first phone that I'm aware of that'll allow dual sims and a third slot for MicroSD :)

any 7.1 official release in this country may not have a dual sim capability, especially if sold by the Irish carriers.

any 7.1 official release in this country may not have a dual sim capability, especially if sold by the Irish carriers.

They absolutely won't.
    But just like the 7 plus that I have, I'll buy Sim free online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

So I said goobye to Vodafone this morning and put in my new Eir SIM (no jokes please) and after a reboot I now have WiFi calling despite eir not listing this phone as compatible on their webpage.

Also the network provisioning for the APN etc. was done smoothly in the background and it picked up the 4G without problem.

Unfortunaty vodafone is not as strong where I curently am located and eir is better, so lets hope the phone does work fine and brings the same battery life (I'm also a heavy user) as network is a large contributor to battery life.

Just had a look and its actually listed as supported here: https://www.eir.ie/support/smartphonehelp/?page=topic/wifi/how-to-enable-and-disable-wifi-calling/device/nokia

Out of interest, are you on billpay or prepay?

Just had a look and its actually listed as supported here: https://www.eir.ie/support/smartphonehelp/?page=topic/wifi/how-to-enable-and-disable-wifi-calling/device/nokia

Out of interest, are you on billpay or prepay?

Eir is never good with up to date information. While it works and the above page states how to enable it, it's not on the lists that are on the other page.

Billpay, 19.99€ special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm having issues with some apps since the Pie upgrade.
    uTorrent fails regularly. It's like it attempts to create the folder structure for the torrent and fails.
    The notification for Pocket Casts is also screwed. I cant stop and start a podcast from the notification shade.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Paremon

Last time i checked a couple of months ago no phone repair store in Dublin had 7+ parts at reasonable prices as the 7+ was so 'new' & local parts suppliers had no stock.
    Does anyone here know of any 'good' phone repair stores that do lcd & headphone socket replacement?

I'm having issues with some apps since the Pie upgrade.
    uTorrent fails regularly. It's like it attempts to create the folder structure for the torrent and fails.
    The notification for Pocket Casts is also screwed. I cant stop and start a podcast from the notification shade.
    Few of mine are acting a bit wonky after the forced update via XDA so I may do a reset at some stage and see if it helps.

• Advertisement

A factory reset will definitely help!
    While I am having no noticeable issues myself, I'm going to still do it at the weekend, as it's recommended practice :)

I did a factory reset to address my download delay issues and it fixed it.

Also, I'm feeling that it makes my phone more responsive and the battery last longer.

I thought Coming from the beta I should not have to do it, but it made it even better than during the beta.

Will USB-C earbuds work with this phone?

Will USB-C earbuds work with this phone?

They will according to Reddit and supposedly the DAC is better on the USB c port, so it sounds better than through the headphone jack! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Update available for me as of this morning - I'm on eir if that's relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Just got the Pie update on Eir, all went smoothly it seems.Had to hit the check for update button a couple of times but then  it appeared. 

So now just need to figure out how to (if possible) - remove the search box from the bottom, remove the extra date/weather thing at the top.

mx5ire wrote: »
    Just got the Pie update on Eir, all went smoothly it seems.Had to hit the check for update button a couple of times but then  it appeared. 

So now just need to figure out how to (if possible) - remove the search box from the bottom, remove the extra date/weather thing at the top.
    I installed Nova to get rid of them as they're a permanent edition seemingly.

Did the reset earlier, didn't backup my texts for some reason. Also signing into most things again is a pain, can't set my yahoo mail back up either for some reason.

Got Pie!!

Vodafone network.

installed with no issues, all good, didn't need to re enter passwords.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Was it necessary for them to make a Google search bar and date/weather a permanent feature on home screen? Or else I'm missing something that can remove them? (Other than a launcher)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Got my system update this evening. Been checking every day;)

Now on Pie. Liking it so far. Bit faster, like the navigation, too early to say if battery management is good, not yet explored gestures or used camera.

I dislike the change to the quick links in the pulldown thingy, used to be able to click the WiFi button to get into see the available networks, not it's just a toggle switch, same for Bluetooth.

I dislike the change to the quick links in the pulldown thingy, used to be able to click the WiFi button to get into see the available networks, not it's just a toggle switch, same for Bluetooth.

Really? Mine hasnt changed.
    You can edit the order of these icons. Click the little edit/pen button and you can drag them to put wifi say first, this will then appear in the immediate pull down.

yeah I know that, but when I "push" the button all it does is turn wifi on or off, it doesn't bring me to the wifi settings page to see other networks

You need to press longer. That option is still there on both wifi and mobile networks.

• Advertisement

You need to press longer. That option is still there on both wifi and mobile networks.

:)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Yakult wrote: »
    Was it necessary for them to make a Google search bar and date/weather a permanent feature on home screen? Or else I'm missing something that can remove them? (Other than a launcher)

No need. And having it at the bottom is a bollocks.

Another question for folks - in relation to the volume adjustment. So at night, i used to press the down volume bottom and it turned the ring volume off, then press it again and it set it to do not disturb, except for alarms. However, since the update, pressing down volume now only seems to mute the Media volume, not the ring volume as before. You have to press the little onscreen button to cycle through 3 options to mute the ring volume. This seems stupid. Am i missing something ? 

If you click on the settings gear icon it opens all the volume options, but thats a pain in the ass to do to adjust the ring volume.

Screenshot_20180508-172029-217x386.png

Pull down menu, should be an option for do not disturb. You can edit what can disturb you and time etc ? Would this help?

Screenshot_20180508-172029-217x386.png

Pull down menu, should be an option for do not disturb. You can edit what can disturb you and time etc  ? Would this help?
    not really - i suppose my gripe is not the DND piece, its that i just want to turn down the ring volume with the volume keys (as normal) - right now it turns down the media volume only. It should only do that when you are playing media, music etc. That's how most phones work, i.e. volume is context sensitive to what you are doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement