Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

breeno wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, I updated my Vodafone model to the Android P beta but it felt buggy so reverted to the 'downgrade' file which was 8.1 with April update. I got the May 2018 8.1 update this morning and have just installed it. 
    Perhaps installing the downgrade file brought me onto stock firmware and I am now no longer tied to Vodafone updates.

Interesting,

Is the process difficult?
    I would install P just to revert it and hope to get the latest update as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

Yakult wrote: »
    Interesting,

Is the process difficult?
    I would install P just to revert it and hope to get the latest update as well :pac:

I suppose it depends on experience. It has to be installed via adb which can be scary to some but I've rooted lots of phones over the years and am well used to it. If you are only interested in 8.1 you would only have to install the 8.1 file. No need to install android p in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just as an FYI, I updated my Vodafone model to the Android P beta but it felt buggy so reverted to the 'downgrade' file which was 8.1 with April update. I got the May 2018 8.1 update this morning and have just installed it. 
    Perhaps installing the downgrade file brought me onto stock firmware and I am now no longer tied to Vodafone updates.
    I always thought the update status as an interesting aspect.
    The Nokia 7 Plus is an Android One phone.
    Google actually controls/releases the updates for Android One.
    So if a carrier (Vodafone) sells an Android One phone, who actually controls the updates?
    Is it Google, Nokia, or Vodafone?
    I know everyone will have their opinion, but is there any definitive clarification from any of the 3 parties involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

biebiebie wrote: »
    So if a carrier (Vodafone) sells an Android One phone, who actually controls the updates?
    I know everyone will have their opinion, but is there any definitive clarification from any of the 3 parties involved?

In the case of the Nokia 7 plus, sold sim free from Vodafone;
    Nokia controls the updates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Google don't control the updates for Android One phones. It's the phone manufacturer who does. Not sure if carriers can or do block them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

It's not really clear at the moment. The fact that Vodafone bundled their software would suggest that they've had some level of interference with the device/software. What that means for future updates, we don't know yet.

It's a bit worrying that the stock software supplied by Nokia is updated to May security patch while the handsets supplied by Vodafone are still on February never mind April release. The link above suggests that it's not just limited to network handsets so hopefully it's just a teething issue and, in time, all updates will be issued promptly. For now, I'm glad I manually installed and got the latest update OTA.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not really clear at the moment. The fact that Vodafone bundled their software would suggest that they've had some level of interference with the device/software. What that means for future updates, we don't know yet.

It's a bit worrying that the stock software supplied by Nokia is updated to May security patch while the handsets supplied by Vodafone are still on February never mind April release. The link above suggests that it's not just limited to network handsets so hopefully it's just a teething issue and, in time, all updates will be issued promptly. For now, I'm glad I manually installed and got the latest update OTA.

It's possible Nokia haven't rolled out anything newer than the february release to devices here. My Nokia 6 2017 was bought from Amazon (so no carrier interference) and is on 8.0 with the march security update whereas the phone in other regions has been updated to 8.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It arrived this morning, it's SIM free, it works perfectly with the car, it's fabulous I love it!!

One little thing, how do I remove the pebble watch notification from the top of the screen.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

spyder238 wrote: »
    Yeah, true, I'd probably just regret not getting the pixel.

I considered getting a 'flagship' phone, but honestly I would never use the added specs and features enough to pay double the price. I don't play mobile games or take many photos. A mid range phone does everything I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Google don't control the updates for Android One phones. It's the phone manufacturer who does. Not sure if carriers can or do block them though.

Coorect HMD will be controlling the updates these will also bipass operators.

Just found the following tips to enable navigating around the phone using the finger print reader. It's taking me some time but I'm getting used to tapping the FP reader for "back" and long press for "home".

Follow these steps:
    1. Open settings app
    2. Tap search
    3. Type "navigation" or "fingerprint"
    4. Tap Navigation Key of Fingerprint and thats it

Just set it there now, many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

There was no Vodafone software on the phone I bought from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

There was no Vodafone software on the phone I bought from Vodafone.

I had a few vodfone apps pre installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

So it sounds like the following for releases..

Buy it from Vodafone
    Google > Nokia > Vodafone > user

Buy it from retail eg Amazon
    Google > Nokia > user

So the latter may end up with better release timeframes... Would that be right?

I had no vodafone apps from the one I bought from Vodafone, it automatically downloaded some Three apps after connecting it to internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You will notice that once you put in your sim an an app 'carrier services' will update and than some apps specific to your carrier will be installed and also some specific functions wi be enabled like updates messages functions on Vodafone etc.

So strict there is nothing pre-installed it happend during your first full start or later in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hey all.
    Someone please tell me there's a way to swap the Back and Recents buttons?

Just setting up my phone now, absolutely beautiful yoke :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

So it sounds like the following for releases..

Buy it from Vodafone
    Google > Nokia > Vodafone > user

Buy it from retail eg Amazon
    Google > Nokia > user

So the latter may end up with better release timeframes... Would that be right?

Seems like it only western europe that is behind on updates. India and other places are more recent.

Lads can we give it a rest on the updates and just enjoy the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

jca wrote: »
    Lads can we give it a rest on the updates and just enjoy the phone?
    I am enjoying mine, very much so, but timely updates are one of the key reasons that i picked an Android One phone over others. I have had many many other phones where you wait forever for carriers to pass on updates / upgrades, so A1 is meant to bypass this bottleneck. If truth be known i want the new functionality  & new look and feel of updates rather than the security side, my android devices are hardly windows level security risks. 
    Also, i have had a few bad Nokia experiences over the years, so i am somewhat nervous when i see a very inconsistent rollout process occurring on a new model.

• Advertisement

mx5ire wrote: »
    I am enjoying mine, very much so, but timely updates are one of the key reasons that i picked an Android One phone over others. I have had many many other phones where you wait forever for carriers to pass on updates / upgrades, so A1 is meant to bypass this bottleneck. If truth be known i want the new functionality  & new look and feel of updates rather than the security side, my android devices are hardly windows level security risks. 
    Also, i have had a few bad Nokia experiences over the years, so i am somewhat nervous when i see a very inconsistent rollout process occurring on a new model.

Maybe I'm just stupid but I've done these updates as they became available and I've never noticed anything different. I'll just do the update when it becomes available.

I love the phone, best one I've had in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

So many decent phones coming out lately in mid range.
    I was leaning strongly towards this but now I'm torn between it and the Honor 10.
    Damn choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

jca wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just stupid but I've done these updates as they became available and I've never noticed anything different. I'll just do the update when it becomes available.

I love the phone, best one I've had in years.
    Agreed on both it being a good phone and doing the updates when they come - its just that my suspicious mind wants to make sure that it does what it is meant to do in terms of timely Android One updates. Otherwise what is the point of the A1 programme...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Just ordered one, any good protective screens available? Is the cover that comes with it ok?

Mine was the HK version, TA-1062, so I got no gel case in the pack! :(

Do any B&M stores have these, or would I be quicker ordering from Amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

jca wrote:
    I ordered from Vodafone it has been despatched this morning. I'm with VF so being sim free isn't important, I'll try it with a different SIM out of curiosity. The only worry I have is using it in the car I had terrible problems with my One plus 3T dropping the bluetooth connection, needing continuous re-pairing etc.

I'm actually having issues with losing Bluetooth pairing in the car. Didn't have it with last phone. Not constantly, but often have to manually add phone again.
    Anyone else?

I'm actually having issues with losing Bluetooth pairing in the car. Didn't have it with last phone. Not constantly, but often have to manually add phone again.
    Anyone else?

This may sound completely illogical but rename the phone something like Mick's phone, pair with the car and in the phone Bluetooth menu rename the car as well. I had a bit of that dropping with my Samsung J5 that replaced the 3T, renaming solved it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Hey all.
    Someone please tell me there's a way to swap the Back and Recents buttons?

Just setting up my phone now, absolutely beautiful yoke :D

Don't think you can sadly. If anyone figures it out let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

emo72 wrote: »

Had a similar problem last year,I had to delete all devices from the Bluetooth device,reset it ,bingo

I can't stand the back button being on the left side!
    It's almost as bad as non-inverted flight controls in video game :D

• Advertisement

Mine was the HK version, TA-1062, so I got no gel case in the pack! :(

The case that comes with it isn't great. Has no raised bezel around the screen or cameras to protect them.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    The case that comes with it isn't great. Has no raised bezel around the screen or cameras to protect them.

I was looking at some on Amazon and most of them are coloured and patterned, there's only a few clear ones.
    Also, the screen protectors are getting low reviews as apparently they don't fit correctly on the curved edge at the side of the screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I was looking at some on Amazon and most of them are coloured and patterned, there's only a few clear ones.
    Also, the screen protectors are getting low reviews as apparently they don't fit correctly on the curved edge at the side of the screen!

Saw the same reviews myself.anyone find a decent one?

Can't turn off vibrate when getting a text or email. I have the thing on silent, but it still vibrates. Damn annoying when all your side-baes are texting and your trying to hide them from your wife!

Anyone try rooting the 7 Plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Got the wife the Nokia 7 Plus from the Vodaphone shop in Swords yesterday. The guy working there said it was locked to the network and was 100% sure of it, I took a gamble based on the information in this thread and it paid off, it wasn't locked.

Its a great phone for its price!

neonman wrote: »
    Got the wife the Nokia 7 Plus from the Vodaphone shop in Swords yesterday. The guy working there said it was locked to the network and was 100% sure of it, I took a gamble based on the information in this thread and it paid off, it wasn't locked.

Its a great phone for its price!

It was at that point when your instincts kicked in and you realised that you would be just fine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

It was at that point when your instincts kicked in and you realised that you would be just fine :D

I thought that the wife didn't she was nearly having a mini breakdown. but but what if...but...why.

Chill woman, it's going to be just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Those cases are already on amazon for substantially cheaper prices. The second case for example is half the price.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TERRAPIN-Nokia-Plus-Case-Cover-Black/dp/B07BBR7ZHZ/ref=sr_1_11?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1526930416&sr=1-11&keywords=nokia+7+plus+case

Hence why i said check around for prices

jimmynokia wrote: »

Thanks Jimmy!

Did you happen to get any screen protectors from mobilefun?
    I ordered the clear case and the screens from mobilefun last night, but I'm wary about the screens, as the reviews on amazon are 1-2 stars for all brands!

marcbrophy wrote:
    Did you happen to get any screen protectors from mobilefun? I ordered the clear case and the screens from mobilefun last night, but I'm wary about the screens, as the reviews on amazon are 1-2 stars for all brands!

Cheers I never bother with protectors just get cases with a good lip I've more on the way from other companies.

Cheers I never bother with protectors just get cases with a good lip I've more on the way from other companies.

while we have ya jimmy, any idea on the 8.1 update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

How are you guys finding the camera, out of interest :) Looking at this or a op6, but this intrigues me more with android one and all that :)

How are you guys finding the camera, out of interest :) Looking at this or a op6, but this intrigues me more with android one and all that :)

slow and sluggish tbh. but i havent really be trying to do much with it.

emo72 wrote:
    while we have ya jimmy, any idea on the 8.1 update?

Soon. They are focusing on this device particularly here in Ireland it's started rolling out in some regions.

Soon. They are focusing on this device particularly here in Ireland it's started rolling out in some regions.

Do you work for Nokia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

slow and sluggish tbh. but i havent really be trying to do much with it.

I heard the phone is less laggy with the update. The camera wasn't specifically mentioned. Dunno about that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement