Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 week training break

• 18-03-2018 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,
    Only recently have rediscovered boards.ie and really finding posts in this section very helpful thanks!
    Just wondering could anyone give me a bit of advice?
    I have signed up and in training for the Cork Marathon in June, I am going volunteering shortly afterwards for 6 weeks. I was hoping to do the Dublin marathon in October but I'm unsure will I be able to get my fitness back after taking such an extended break from training?
    Running outdoors alone really won't be an option and I won't have access to a gym either!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When are you back? Taking a few weeks off after Cork would be advisable anyway. Try and get some easy running done if you can not sure why running outside isn't an option?) but don't worry about it either way. 3 months should be enough to build up towards Dublin and you will still have the endurance built up from the Cork marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gaeilgebearla

adrian522 wrote: »
    When are you back? Taking a few weeks off after Cork would be advisable anyway. Try and get some easy running done if you can not sure why running outside isn't an option?) but don't worry about it either way. 3 months should be enough to build up towards Dublin and you will still have the endurance built up from the Cork marathon.

I'm back the beginning of August so as you say I should have three months to build up my training again!
    I could be being overly cautious in my head but I'm not sure how safe it'll be to run around the streets alone, but when I get there it might be completely different!
    Thank you for taking the time to reply and your advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I did Cork and Dublin last year. After Cork I was injured - well before but didn’t take the time to sort myself to after. I did get some running in but it was just 3 days a week and 3-5km max. I didn’t start increasing the distance again until mid to late August if I remember correctly ... and got a 30 minute pb in Dublin. You could possibly try to keep up your fitness by doing some HIIT workouts where ever you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gaeilgebearla

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I did Cork and Dublin last year. After Cork I was injured - well before but didn’t take the time to sort myself to after. I did get some running in but it was just 3 days a week and 3-5km max. I didn’t start increasing the distance again until mid to late August if I remember correctly ... and got a 30 minute pb in Dublin. You could possibly try to keep up your fitness by doing some HIIT workouts where ever you are?

Thanks for taking the time to reply too!
    HIIT training is a great idea, I'll definitely be able to keep this up, and then hopefully look at distance like you said once I return!
    Congrats on making a 30 minute pb, that's fantastic! I've done Cork twice before and really enjoyed it (well maybe afterwards once the hills were done :) ), but would love to try Dublin!
    Thanks again!

Thanks for taking the time to reply too!
    HIIT training is a great idea, I'll definitely be able to keep this up, and then hopefully look at distance like you said once I return!
    Congrats on making a 30 minute pb, that's fantastic! I've done Cork twice before and really enjoyed it (well maybe afterwards once the hills were done :) ), but would love to try Dublin!
    Thanks again!

I can highly recommend Dublin. Cork is great but the crowds are the whole way round in Dublin and atmosphere is incredible. Also, you get the majority of the hills over with in the first 7 miles so I found it easier than cork in that respect. Giving both a go again this year though.

You’ll find plenty HIIT workouts on YouTube that you could follow. I did Body Coach ones before but there’s loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Also, you get the majority of the hills over with in the first 7 miles

You what? The steepest climb is at mile 10, the highest point is at mile 16 and heartbreak hill at mile 22!

In reality, Dublin may indeed be a tad easier than Cork but they are pretty much in the same league. The crowd support in Dublin makes all the difference, though, that is undoubtedly true.

You what? The steepest climb is at mile 10, the highest point is at mile 16 and heartbreak hill at mile 22!

In reality, Dublin may indeed be a tad easier than Cork but they are pretty much in the same league. The crowd support in Dublin makes all the difference, though, that is undoubtedly true.

:D That’s my main memory though - the hills that came later seemed relatively short. Cork scares me because of the hills being so close to the end whereas in Dublin I felt you get most of them out of the way at the start when your legs aren’t tired. Isn’t the highest point of the course around 7 miles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

:D That’s my main memory though - the hills that came later seemed relatively short. Cork scares me because of the hills being so close to the end whereas in Dublin I felt you get most of them out of the way at the start when your legs aren’t tired. Isn’t the highest point of the course around 7 miles?

Actually you're right and I was wrong, ever since they changed the course to go to Castleknock the highest point is at mile 7, though you do get to climb almost all the way back up at mile 16, so you're definitely not done with climbing at mile 7.

I always thought of Cork being a little bit easier than Dublin but Cork added a hill or two last year and now I think it's a tad harder - though in reality if you can do one you can do the other and there is no real difference in difficulty.

Actually you're right and I was wrong, ever since they changed the course to go to Castleknock the highest point is at mile 7, though you do get to climb almost all the way back up at mile 16, so you're definitely not done with climbing at mile 7.

I always thought of Cork being a little bit easier than Dublin but Cork added a hill or two last year and now I think it's a tad harder - though in reality if you can do one you can do the other and there is no real difference in difficulty.

Yep - the change in Cork’s route last year made a small bit of difference. Farranlea road is a pain as it’s a real drag at 21 miles (approx). Praying the fact I’ve more miles in my legs this year that it won’t beat me!

Advertisement