Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfairly ifracted

Options
  • 18-03-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been unfairly ifracted by a moderator over in the commuting and transport Forum. I was accused of trolling in a thread that i was an active part of and still am.
    A general on thread warning was issued by a different moderator which was adhered to by all apart from one poster. I had previously reported this one as is the advice given instead of responding on thread yet i got ifracted for allegedly trolling a few pages back even though it had already been dealt with by a separate moderator on thread. An infraction for trolling for a nothing post made in response to a poster which I'm still responding to on thread and had been previously is a bit petty and definitely not in the true meaning of trolling. How can you troll a thread that you are active in and contributing in? There was one blatent troll on the thread which seemed to get a free ride even after i reported it but somehow this particular moderator decided to infarct me instead. The only time action was taken is when i reported it again and asking why he was still there and i got ifracted for less.
    Seeing that Devnull had already dealt with any on thread issues with his on thread warning, i believe it is wrong for Monument to issue an infraction afterwards for a post that was made a few pages back seeing that it had already been dealt with.
    I have contacted monument but he isn't interested in reversing the decision.
    I'll post the relevant links shortly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057841101
    It's post 219 i think it is.
    I'll post the pm's shortly.

You have received an infraction
    Dear Hilly Bill,

You have been infracted for Trolling.

This means you are posting in an intentionally provocative fashion in order to gain a reaction from other members. This is disruptive and causes stress to other members.
    We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this infraction you can see details on how to do so here.

monument

How on earth am i trolling. I report a troll and you infract me? Seriously monument.

Sniping posts like “You seem to believe that you are an expert“ is in my view a form of trolling the other poster.

In any case, it’s clearly non-productive and distruptive posting.

Regards

Monument
    Hi,

FYI I have since given a reported post you made against someone else a ban for his/her on-going poor posting style.

But that’s irrelevant to your poor post, where an infraction is justified. Sniping like that adds nothing and needs to stop.

I didn’t see devnull’s post, but I think my action against you and the other poster is still justified.

Regards,

Monument

Since it was dealt with on thread by devnull, why do feel the need to have a say as well? It's just undermining devnull as a moderator. What's the point of reporting posts when you issue cheap infractions to those that report them and do nothing about the reported posts?

think I agree with you more than I disagree with you but when acting as a mod, I try my best to keep my person views of agreeing or disagreeing. I often sanction both side, even when I only agree with one.

Re not seeing the other moderator — I don’t have to make things up — I’ll leave it up to you to believe me or not.

Re other posts, as I said, I was acting on a reported post dealing with your post. The main thing beside real life and work etc that that stops me from dealing with other posts is PMs threads like this which are time consuming.
    monument

My post clearly wasn't trolling, you used an infraction a few pages after the post and after devnull had issued an on thread warning to all. Based on that then it's unfair to be infracted by a different moderator when it had already been dealt with by another previously.
    Based on the fact that it had already been dealt with, will you kindly remove the infraction please.

I think that's the last of what i have. I'm sure there was an easier way of presenting it but I'm not that clued up on it so apologies for the lay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From the PMs you’ve shared, I’m not clear where you currently stand. I can see that you’ve asked the mod to lift the infraction. Have they denied that request, or is it still in progress?

He didn't get back to me and its still showing. Its due to expire on the 24th. Can it be reversed after that?.
    I respect the fact that moderators have a life outside the boards and can't be expected to respond immediately but the chap was active at the time and i feel he may be just waiting for it to expire. There is a pattern emerging though and not just with me, every time a different moderator issues an on thread warning he issues another warning for the same thing or issues infractions. It's like if he doesn't want to miss out. I'm sure he's a decent bloke and only human and I'm not expecting anything to be done about that bit just for it to be noted.
    The last pm was on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We’re not here to discuss other topics, the only thing that will be discussed here is your card. I’ll drop a request to a CMod to come in and take a look.

OK, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi Hilly Bill, I'll look into that for you. Just give me a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The post you got infracted for is:
    Hilly Bill wrote: »
    You seem to believe that you are an expert.

On the face of it, this seems a moderate enough comment. For this alone I would have given you the benefit of the doubt.

But you had already asked that poster if he / she was an expert on the reservations system and he / she had answered that they weren't. So clearly you were trying to get a rise out of the poster. Your post is disruptive to the discussion. It's trolling. And what doesn't work in your favour here is that you already have 5 bans and several yellow and red cards in the Commuting & Transport forum alone. The infraction stands.

If you feel my decision is unfair, you can ask for an admin to look at it.

Yep, Admin please.

A few points here,

Devnull had already issued a general

on thread warning before monument issued the infraction for a post that was made a few pages earlier meaning it was already dealt with.
    It was me who reported a few posts but it was me who got infracted. It defeats the point of reporting posts really.

You can't troll a thread that you are an active part of. I've made countless posts in that thread and reported posts that was clearly trolling but nothing was done until i mentioned it after i was infracted.
    Trolling is when you post random crap in threads just to disrupt it. I didn't do that, trolling was only mentioned because monument couldn't think of anything of substance to issue the infraction for.

You need to know the context behind the reply i made. He claim the reservation system was easy to fix, since I've knowledge of it i asked him if he's an expert on it. He still offered solutions that he thought was easy to fix hence my reply. The discussion still carried on no disruption and both himself and myself are still contributing to the thread. A few troll posts appeared, nothing done about them, i reported them instead of answering on thread until devnull issued an on thread warning. No yellow or red cards issued but somehow monument had to go back 3 pages to give me a soft red card.

I'm on here around 10 year's? When was my last ban? The last infraction monument issued was another soft one which i ment to appeal as well but i just gave up to be honest.
    The one before that was reversed.

The amount of bans or redcards is irrelevant to this one when a moderator had already dealt with it so its unfair for a different moderator which happens to be the one that likes to issue me warnings and infractions at the slightest opportunity to jump is as well. To be fair, it's a soft redcard this time. It's gone very hard to contribute in the C&T forum when you infracted for such lame excuses by the same moderator. There is a pattern with his actions, every time a different moderator issues an on thread warning, he jumps in at the same time with either his own on thread warning or an infraction.

In the ten years I'm on here, how many times have i been to dispute resolution? Maybe once before as i only bother if i feel hard done by. I should have done the last one as well but decide to just let him have his moment.

I thank you for your time in looking into it but i feel i need to go the next step based on that it wasn't trolling just discussion, it didn't disrupt the thread plus a moderator had already given the warning to the thread contributers.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'll review this.

You need to sharpen up on the C&T forum rules. You are on a highway to a ban there if you continue as you are.

However, having reviewed what's in front of me, I can understand your comment and I would have placed it at the borderline of yellow card/no action. On that basis, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and remove the infraction.

That being the case, I want you to take a look at how you post on the C&T forum and consider your input. Overall, it should be helpful and salient. If it's anything other than helpful or salient, you can expect a ban that we will not be able to reverse via DRP.

Please indicate you understand the above before your card is rescinded.

I agree and understand and thanks for looking into it.

Can i just point out though that one moderator had already issued an on thread warning which was adhered to.
    If the red card had come first, my thoughts on it would have still be the same but wouldn't have brought it here.

Again thanks for looking into it. Feel free to mark as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement