Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin: Google Streetview & Google addresses queries

Options
  • 18-03-2018 2:57pm

I have two distinct questions, but they may be better served on a more technical side of Boards.ie. Anyway, I'll give it a try here and a mod can move the thread if appropriate.

1. Is there any place online which has a sort of 'When is Google coming to your street?' information page? It's 2009 - 9 years ago! - since Google Streetview recorded my street.

2. Where is Google getting its townland names? This really baffles me. While Google to its eternal credit brings up my location accurately when I put my address in Irish into the search engine [courier drivers please, for once and for all, take note!], the townland address is different (in English and Irish versions) to the address on the An Post 'correct address' website. As it is a postal address, the An Post version is the authoritative address for every postal address in Ireland. By virtue of the fact that they are using the official placename in Irish, I'd be fairly certain that Google is linking into the superb database of the www.logainm.ie [Irish Placenames Commission] website for authoritative placenames in Ireland. But they are linking actual places with townlands that are different to the townland on An Post. Anybody know the answer to this?

Comments

Advertisement