Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington 511 Scoremaster .22 Bolt Action

Options
  • 18-03-2018 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi hows it going, I am after receiving a rifle that I want to repair for sentimental reasons more than anything, It used to be my great grandfathers. I am looking for a complete bolt assembly for a Remington 511 Scoremaster .22 Bolt Action.

I have tried two shops and they said they cant get parts for it as its too old. It was made between 1939 and 1963.

I have seen parts online from the United States ect, but Im not sure if I could import the part legally? I hold the licence for the gun but thats it.

If anyone knows of any good gunsmiths in Southern Ireland that could help I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

yes,you can legally import the parts if you are the liscense holder.>Getting them out of the US might be the problem,if they are valued at over 100 dollars inc shipping costs.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

What parts are you looking for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭waterford28

Sorry, I glanced over the original post so didn't see that it was the bolt. Is it missing/damaged ?

Sorry, I glanced over the original post so didn't see that it was the bolt. Is it missing/damaged ?

No hassle, I have the original bolt assembly here however it is damaged and the firing pin is gone weak in it, when I got it it was firing ok, then it used only fire after two attempts, Now it wont fire at all. Could do with a new assembly if possible.

• Advertisement

No hassle, I have the original bolt assembly here however it is damaged and the firing pin is gone weak in it, when I got it it was firing ok, then it used only fire after two attempts, Now it wont fire at all. Could do with a new assembly if possible.

As much as I hate online diagnosis but it may just be a firing pin spring and or the firing pin itself.

Getting a new bolt from the US will be next to impossible unless you have either very deep pockets or friends in low places.

Another alternative would be to ring every RFD you can get a number to ask if they have a complete gun in stock that you can strip the bolt out of...... Presuming the bolt doesn't have a serial number on it.

As much as I hate online diagnosis but it may just be a firing pin spring and or the firing pin itself.

Getting a new bolt from the US will be next to impossible unless you have either very deep pockets or friends in low places.

Another alternative would be to ring every RFD you can get a number to ask if they have a complete gun in stock that you can strip the bolt out of...... Presuming the bolt doesn't have a serial number on it.

Its the pin itself, the bolt itself is shook enough.

Yeah ive tried a few places with no luck as of yet.

Would it be easier and cheaper to buy the bolt pieces separately and import them over a period of time and put it together myself than go over the $100 threshold and run into all the red tape.

Its the pin itself, the bolt itself is shook enough.

Yeah ive tried a few places with no luck as of yet.

Would it be easier and cheaper to buy the bolt pieces separately and import them over a period of time and put it together myself than go over the $100 threshold and run into all the red tape.

Of course the bolt is shook....the gun is well over 50 years old :P

Buying parts individually will cost substantial more as the postage on some parts will be as expensive as the parts themselves. Also, irrespective of the $100 limit some companies just wont ship parts so you may be at a loss.

Send me a PM as I may have a gun for parts

Of course the bolt is shook....the gun is well over 50 years old :P

Buying parts individually will cost substantial more as the postage on some parts will be as expensive as the parts themselves. Also, irrespective of the $100 limit some companies just wont ship parts so you may be at a loss.

Send me a PM as I may have a gun for parts

Its around 80 years old alright lol, pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just had a look at Numrich gun parts in the USA.They have bolt replacement parts for your model, even 2nd hand complete bolts @125 USD.Bad news is they cant ship it outside the USA,and are currently out of stock.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/remington/rifles-rem/511p?page=2

Possible solution is to get whatever parts are available and do a rebuild of the bolt?At worst ,you are looking at getting a machine shop to make a bolt copy for you?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

If it were me i would ring or email every dealer i could. Most dealers have a load of old guns handed in by relatives of deceased people, and by the guards confiscating or getting old guns handed in to them. The old guns are usually considered worthless, and are piled up under a bench or in a corner until the dealer can be arsed to chop them up.

I was able to get a few spares for an old rifle of the fathers this way, a stock, magazines, iron sights etc, when i went into a dealers yard and he had a mate chopping the unwanted guns up, i recognised the rifle lying on the ground and was on it like a light.

Dealers also get guns in to store, where the owners usually forget about them, and they sit on the shelf in limbo. You might get a spare that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Just seen this, you could get a rfd to bring it in for you from the uk, and strip it for parts.

https://www.gunstar.co.uk/remington-scoremaster-model-511-bolt-action-22-rifles/rifles/831632

Advertisement