Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCH road trip

Options
  • 18-03-2018 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

We are driving PCH this summer for our honeymoon end of June/beginning of July and just looking for some suggestions on things to see & do.

We're flying into San Fran and spending a few days there before renting a car & starting our road trip. We've a night in Monterey, 2 nights in Pismo beach, 2 nights in Santa Barbara & finishing with a few nights in Santa Monica.

We've Alcatraz booked & wine tasting booked for one day in Pismo beach. We'll be in Santa Barbara for 4th of July.

So looking for recommendations on things to see & do and places to eat.

Do we need a car in LA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Quad bikes on Pismo Beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hearst Castle near San Simeon is worth a look. Like most attractions you should book well inadvance. Eg. Alcatraz can be booked out up to 6 months in advance.

At the moment you can't do the whole PCH through the Big Sur sector due to the recent landslides, so you might end up having to do a lengthy trackback. Information on when it will fully reopen isn't great but last time I checked, they were trying to reopen some time this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

What's pch?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    What's pch?

Pacific coast highway

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

tricky D wrote: »
    Hearst Castle near San Simeon is worth a look. Like most attractions you should book well inadvance. Eg. Alcatraz can be booked out up to 6 months in advance.

At the moment you can't do the whole PCH through the Big Sur sector due to the recent landslides, so you might end up having to do a lengthy trackback. Information on when it will fully reopen isn't great but last time I checked, they were trying to reopen some time this summer.

A quick google today suggests it won't be reopened until Sept :(

We run into a problem trying to go from Monterey to Pismo beach. We can go the 101 but that means missing lots of big sur. Or we can drive to Gorda and either double back to Monterey then head for Pismo (will take 6.5hrs) or take Nacimento Ferguson road across the mountain to 101. Supposedly nacimento road is lethal?

What is the must see part of big sur? Could we turn back sooner than Gorda without missing too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 rigamincedeal

Hi there sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to see how your trip went as iam planning something similar for mid September. Planning going from LA to SF with number of different stop offs along the way.. then after SF to Yostmite for a couple of nights from there we will head south through Death Valley for Vegas for a few days then back home. I am just wondering have you any tips suggestions.? Also was the PCH at Big Sur still closed off..? There doesn’t seem to be a massive amount of info on this available online. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Hi there sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted to see how your trip went as iam planning something similar for mid September. Planning going from LA to SF with number of different stop offs along the way.. then after SF to Yostmite for a couple of nights from there we will head south through Death Valley for Vegas for a few days then back home. I am just wondering have you any tips suggestions.? Also was the PCH at Big Sur still closed off..? There doesn’t seem to be a massive amount of info on this available online. Thanks

I believe it's scheduled to reopen this month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The PCH is great. I've done it a few times now. As previously mentioned part of it is still closed.

If you can, be flexible with your itinerary. You will find gems along the way that might inspire you to change plans. I never pre book accommodation outside of the cities.

+1 to Hearst Castle. And for the lols ask them about his influence on the 1916 rising! They talk about him as if he was Jesus Christ! Hilarious.

If you can, stay a night in the Madonna Inn or if you can't do that, even have lunch or a beer there. Its nothing to do with the singer, it's possible the most eccentric spot along the way. Its closer to the LA side of the PCH than SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭myate

As of yesterday Highway 1 around Big Sur is open again! 14 months closed because of a huge landslide. This makes doing Highway 1 much better & easier.
    McWay Falls is pretty mega to stop at...very busy though with limited parking. Carmel is pretty cool, the lone cypress tree is gorgeous (near Pebble beach).

Advertisement