Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History outside school

Options
  • 18-03-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Would it be plausible to do the Early Modern history course by myself if the history teacher agreed to sign off my research report? I'm going into 5th year in September and would like to do history but it conflicts with another subject. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, but make sure when you are being entered, it is for the correct course, especially if others in your school are doing the more usual recent History course.

Very few schools do the Early Modern and there are few if any textbooks. It tends to be taught more in Adult Ed. situations, but there is no reason why you could not do it.

You probably have it, but here's the syllabus:
    https://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/da556505-f5fb-4921-869f-e0983fd80e50/SCSEC20_History_syllabus_eng.pdf (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

My school only offer the later course so I'd need to be careful they don't accidentally enter me for that. It looks less interesting to me anyway so maybe it's fortunate I didn't get my subject picks.

If I was to thoroughly read up around my chosen topics using library books and internet resources, do you think that'd be enough to see me through for a decent grade? I mean of course I'd practise writing as well.

Anyone I've mentioned this to has brought up the issue of not having a teacher to learn the exam technique from, but I don't see how it can be much more complicated than dividing time by allocation of marks?

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Writing a History essay is writing a History essay. There is no technique other than 'answer the question asked'.

You may actually do better as you're not likely to have those godawful 'learned off' essays to parrot back in the exam.

It might be worthwhile asking SEC for some centres local to you who present students for the Early Modern course, so you can find a teacher who teaches the course to chat with about your essays. Box of Roses/Voucher for a local restaurant can get you many brownie points.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tristan_

That's great advice, thank you very much!

Advertisement