Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on these tyres please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Taking the link you provided for the bike, it comes with 700x35 tyres, so the largest size (700x32) Gatorskins will *probably* do it (other more knowledgeable people will say yes or no).

That said, Gatorskins are known for being very skittery in less than ideal situations, like the wet, and may feel like they are sliding around a bit on you (I use the 700x25 on my bike, and have felt this)

Also, if you haven't purchased these yet, there is only one in stock on Sigma Sports, so you will need to find another supplier, or wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Just my opinion, but if I were you I'd keep the wider tyres. 35mm makes the bike much more comfortable and adaptable as a commuter, which i gather is what you primarily use it for.

Also, recent studies have suggested that wider tyres don't actually increase rolling resistance. It's more the tread pattern.

On top of that, your rims probably won't take anything less than 32ish I'd say. I'd stick with the 35s if I were you, or if you really find them sluggish, get the same size with slicker tread pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

LennoxR wrote: »

Also, recent studies have suggested that wider tyres don't actually increase rolling resistance. It's more the tread pattern.

On top of that, your rims probably won't take anything less than 32ish I'd say. I'd stick with the 35s if I were you, or if you really find them sluggish, get the same size with slicker tread pattern.

Yes that was my main aim, to get a slick tyre , I was wondering if I'd get away with a 32 but like you say I'd be happy with a 35 .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is what I'd be going for. Ride them weekdays and (currently) gators at weekends and the gators have slipped far more than the 'Dillos.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/all-condition-armadillo-elite/p/133571?color=228589-133571

I commute on 25's but 32s would be similar in speed if pumped up fully. The wheels on your bike are no name Meridas so you'll have to measure the rim size to determine how low you could go.

As nearly all bikes you'll use will be 700c buying a set of tyres and then going back stock is no big loss as you can just hang them on the garage/shed wall until a broken heino bottle takes a lump out of the current one some morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

After 6 years and two sets of Gatorskins, I moved on Conti GP 4000s.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/continental-grand-prix-4000s-ii-road-tyre/rp-prod120460?gs=1&sku=sku434024IE&pgrid=53513330318&ptaid=pla-471241851247&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sMlJg5pe1_dc|pcrid|253511013572|pkw||pmt||prd|434024IE

The Gatorskins in fairness to them were pretty hard wearing but they were too unpredictable on anything slippery and I lost the front wheel taking a corner, blamed it on the tyre and so it was time to say goodbye to them. Started with 23's then moved to 25's for a little more volume on the bumpy roads.

With the GP 4000's, have a 25 up front and and 23 on the back because why not. Pumped up to around 105psi and am very happy with them after about 3 months use. Less slippy than the Gatorskins and roll very nicely. No punctures yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Can I ask a question

My bike takes 35s , I asked the question on a live chat on chain reaction and guy said I could get a 28 on , tight squeeze but doable. I'm just a bit worried if I got a puncture wrestling with tyres changing them ....any advice there .

I still think trying to get as close to 35 would be preferred, even a 32 maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can I ask a question

My bike takes 35s , I asked the question on a live chat on chain reaction and guy said I could get a 28 on , tight squeeze but doable. I'm just a bit worried if I got a puncture wrestling with tyres changing them ....any advice there .

I still think trying to get as close to 35 would be preferred, even a 32 maybe??

Maybe Im wrong but tyre width as far as I know has practically nothing as to how difficult it is to get on/off.

What you have to concern yourself with is that the tyre is wider than the rim otherwise it wont be usable. So if the rim is 24mm wide dont fit 22mm tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Advertisement