Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games to avoid completely?

• 19-03-2018 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Now that the eshop has been up for a year I feel like we are getting more and more games on there that might be not very good and not worth your time.

Might be a good idea to have a thread on games to avoid.

Or just let people buy "Troll and I" and then laugh at them afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Zelda: Skyward Sword, though that's on the Wii U eShop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Snake Pass,
    It looks lovely but the controls are just weird.
    I was an early adopter of the Switch, as are many here, and Snake Pass was one of the early titles, and made by Sumo who have great form in game development, but I can't say I enjoyed it at all.
    I don't think it's peculiar to the Switch though, the same issues are around the other platforms the game appeared on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭Nollog

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Snake Pass,
    It looks lovely but the controls are just weird.
    I was an early adopter of the Switch, as are many here, and Snake Pass was one of the early titles, and made by Sumo who have great form in game development, but I can't say I enjoyed it at all.
    I don't think it's peculiar to the Switch though, the same issues are around the other platforms the game appeared on.

What a turnaround!

What happened since launch that you now hate this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

From all the feedback I've seen, Switch's Vroom in the Sky is what happens when someone makes an entire game outta the first level of Superman 64.

Let y'all debate as to how it passed any kinda QA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I've seen numerous sites say that WWE 2K18 is a strong contender for worst Switch game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

sligeach wrote: »
    I've seen numerous sites say that WWE 2K18 is a strong contender for worst Switch game.

I'd agree with that. So far, it's the only Switch game that I've gotten rid of. Luckily, I only paid 15 for it, and traded it for 35 in GameStop towards Hyrule Warriors, so it worked out, but avoid like the plague. A horrible, horrible port, and incredible that a massive publisher can release crap like this, and, for the most part, get away with it. I know Nintendo are allowing digital refunds on this, so to those who are affected, do contact them - if anything, cutting off revenue will make these companies think twice in the future. There's no way that any developer on this would have been happy to see this go out the door the way it did, this was just pure greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

chrislad wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. So far, it's the only Switch game that I've gotten rid of. Luckily, I only paid 15 for it, and traded it for 35 in GameStop towards Hyrule Warriors, so it worked out, but avoid like the plague. A horrible, horrible port, and incredible that a massive publisher can release crap like this, and, for the most part, get away with it. I know Nintendo are allowing digital refunds on this, so to those who are affected, do contact them - if anything, cutting off revenue will make these companies think twice in the future. There's no way that any developer on this would have been happy to see this go out the door the way it did, this was just pure greed.

I've had this problem with basically every Nintendo console since the Gamecube (DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U and now Switch). The problem being terrible, terrible ports.

Usually games with movie franchise labels or things like FIFA and WWE.

Sometimes it's like they just want to get the game out there on all platforms and bring in the money without making ANY effort to make a good game.

I remember Lego Star Wars on the DS (this must have been back in 2007 or so) being such an unplayable mess that I posted the game to the publisher with a rather angry note.

I'd rather not have these games on the Switch than have these unplayable, awful, "ports".

sligeach wrote: »
    Zelda: Skyward Sword, though that's on the Wii U eShop.

Whaaaaaaat? :eek:

I loved Skyward Sword! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd say Snake Pass. It was one of the first games I installed and one of the first I deleted. Lovely graphics, great music, very confusing controls. Never got past level 2.

I think if you put the work in, you might get more mileage out of it. For me, life's too short. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

/\/ollog wrote: »
    What a turnaround!

What happened since launch that you now hate this game?

For the same reasons that Mr E mentions.
    But hate is a little strong.
    I simply can't recommend it to anyone, even for free it will end up frustrating you and taking up valuable space in the memory.

The game looked remarkable, the first kept promise that multiplatform games didn't have to be significantly different on the Switch, as opposed to the PS4/XB1.
    But the controls are incredibly idiosyncratic and demanding, and makes the beautiful play areas a chore to navigate.
    Now, perhaps this is the point, but the game asks of you too much for what it is.
    And the problem is that it starts with such promise.

I think early blurb suggested a more interesting progression through a level as well, rather than the glorified climbing frame it really is, tasking you with gripping, holding and twisting your way to various points on the structures to find the McGuffins to unlock the exit.

So, all in all, nice video, shame about the song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Does L.A. Noire on the Switch fall into this category ? I see it's €28 in Smyths.

I hear it's pretty good, but it is a space hog on available storage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Does L.A. Noire on the Switch fall into this category ? I see it's €28 in Smyths.

No, it's definitely nowhere near the level of WWE. The worst thing I can say about the game (from a Switch point of view) is that it requires an extra memory card (or all your internal storage essentially), but as a game, it performs fine, loads quickly. Whether or not the game is for you is another thing - it seems to be a marmite-love/hate game. I've played the first couple of chapters. It's not amazing, but it didn't have enough to keep me playing. I'll come back to it if the Switch ever gets a lull, currently about 2023 I'd say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I played LA Noire on Switch. Runs well apart from the occasional slow down in certain scenarios.
    For that price i would recommend trying it. You could always resell if ya don't like it and thatll free up your memory again too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Infinite Minigolf :mad: It looks and plays like something you would get for free on Google Paly or the App Store. Caveat emptor.

• Wolverblade

Ridiculous levels of difficulty and it's not skill based, it's pure pot luck cheap death kind of stuff
    Biggest regret on the Switch so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wolverblade

Ridiculous levels of difficulty and it's not skill based, it's pure pot luck cheap death kind of stuff

Wow. I heard decent things about that and nearly pulled the trigger a while back!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Wolverblade

I liked it. :)

The "games to avoid completely" thread has failed completely!

You should all buy Wolverblade! See the "games to definitely buy" thread for details! :D

Advertisement