Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SNL: Kiss me I'm Irish controversy

• 19-03-2018 7:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭

So the Irish are into incest and have deformed children, the latest rubbish from SNL towards Ireland, which is suppose to be funny...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

t8IHP.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Also, why was there nobody in that video struggling to pronounce Saoirse Ronan's name. That's the real comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

It's not offensive it's too badly written and unfunny for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

That was hard to watch. 3 accents, all worse than the one before.The host sounded Italian at times and the gags need gagging😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You know it's an American spoof because it doesn't mention Tayto!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

You know it's an American spoof because it doesn't mention Tayto!

Or Oisín, but what has 'Into The West' got to do with it?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't think you should get riled up over SNL....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If you think that's offensive......wait'll you see the US Army's "St Patty's Day video" - a true homage to the fighting Irish :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

So the Irish are into incest and have deformed children, the latest rubbish from SNL towards Ireland, which is suppose to be funny...

Rubbish? You haven't spent much time down de cuntre have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If the thread was about what Eddie Jones said I'd agree it would be something to be pissed off about.

This was harmelss though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sure everybody has shifted their cousins, haven't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'm offended that they used 4 leaf clovers and not shamrocks! Idiots!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'm offended that they used 4 leaf clovers and not shamrocks! Idiots!! :mad:
    PETA all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SNL?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Saturday Night Live, an American TV institution that never translated overseas, mostly because it's dreadfully, nay puzzlingly unfunny.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Sure everybody has shifted their cousins, haven't they?

Yeah, its true, everyones shifted your cousins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

It's offensive in how unfunny the show is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

RobertKK wrote:
    Some people like being offended so they can complain they are offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

SNL not what it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

flight of the doves is on rte1. get on there lads and lasses and get all nostalgic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Or Oisín, but what has 'Into The West' got to do with it?

This again. It's fcuking Tito!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

After 9/11 some comedy was suspended for a while. Too soon. I think SNL took a week off. When they came back they had a tribute to the NY firefighters to start. The mayor Ruddi Guilliani was there.

He made a speech. Then the normal cast came back and said something like.

“mr mayor. Permission to be funny?”

He said

“Why start now?”

Which is actually (as well as being true) their best ever joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

Typical American comedy where everything has to be spelt out in huge letters for them to find it funny whilst the rest of the world thinks it's all too obvious and a bit meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't want to click on the video. How cringy is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't want to click on the video. How cringy is it?

Mega. It's not remotely offensive, I think Irish people above all else love a good laugh based on stereotypes, but it's just painfully, awkwardly unfunny and the sort of baseline I would've found funny when I was 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A painful watch
    SNL need to stop

FCIM wrote: »
    Typical American comedy where everything has to be spelt out in huge letters for them to find it funny whilst the rest of the world thinks it's all too obvious and a bit meh.

American comedy can be pretty good. Just not this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

awful accents, its like americans pretending to be english people doing irish accents

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Well at the least they represented the "irish" american accurately by being a fat b*tch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Dial Hard wrote: »
    This again. It's fcuking Tito!

We know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

emo72 wrote: »
    flight of the doves is on rte1. get on there lads and lasses and get all nostalgic.
    Sure child sacrifice was all the rage in the 1970s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

SNL was dying on its rear end until Donald Trump came along and provided them with material that writes itself. The current American political regime basically satririses itself! You don’t need brilliant writers.

That sketch is just a load of paddywhakery that would end your career in a British TV station at this stage.

It's actually very unfunny when you're on the receiving end of that kind of "humor" when you are abroad too and I've had it a few times in the states and there's befuddlement when you're annoyed by it, yet if the shoe is on the other foot many of the same people can’t take being even critiqued about their broken political system, never mind being lampooned like that.

It's not only irish people who get this treatment from SNL. They do the "silly foreigners with funny accents" routine all the time, yet they would claim to be at the cutting edge of liberal, progressive media.

It's like something from the 1950s! These sketches are the kind of rubbish that they sent up on the Simpsons with Crusty the Clown's Chinese impressions.

It's neither clever nor funny.

What would be funny would be RTE sending them a large bill for using their logos without permission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This is funny, SNL is not.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    SNL was dying on its rear end until Donald Trump came along and provided them with material that writes itself. The current American political regime basically satririses itself! You don’t need brilliant writers.

That sketch is just a load of paddywhakery that would end your career in a British TV station at this stage.

It's actually very unfunny when you're on the receiving end of that kind of "humor" when you are abroad too and I've had it a few times in the states and there's befuddlement when you're annoyed by it, yet if the shoe is on the other foot many of the same people can’t take being even critiqued about their broken political system, never mind being lampooned like that.

It's not only irish people who get this treatment from SNL. They do the "silly foreigners with funny accents" routine all the time, yet they would claim to be at the cutting edge of liberal, progressive media.

It's like something from the 1950s! These sketches are the kind of rubbish that they sent up on the Simpsons with Crusty the Clown's Chinese impressions.

It's neither clever nor funny.

What would be funny would be RTE sending them a large bill for using their logos without permission!

Then they tell us we have all got white privilege or some such nonsense.

The US does pathologise Europeans a lot. Italians are gangsters, Germans Nazis or gangsters, the British effete or imperialists or gangsters, the French effeminate and the swedes are strange talking chefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Watched it last night.
    Surprised there was no thread here last night.
    Made me chuckle a bit initially but I'm at a loss as to why they obsessed over the inbreeding joke. Seemed strange rather than anything else.

I was anticipating more howls of outrage from Irish people though which would be funnier than the sketch. Now that (Irish prickliness) would be a funny SNL sketch.

SNL is pretty poor nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

This is funny, SNL is not.

I'm not mad about Family Guy but that was funny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

In fairness, probably pretty accurate about the sort of thing that happens in Doolin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This one was funnier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Pretty good example of how the Trump administration sketches have been saving SNL so much lately, otherwise the show has been useless for a good a good few years with the likes of Tina Fey, Adam Samberg and Bill Hader on it.

Still weird seeing adult Keenan from Keenan and Kel though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Needs more cow bell.

What gets me a bit annoyed though is that you're sometimes subjected a load of nasty stuff like this and expected to just 'take it on the chin'.
    You can laugh along, to a point, after which it starts to just become racist bullying.

I had an experience of this at work in England a few years ago. It started out as just stupid banter and then I blew up at someone when he asked me (for the 999th time) to say "thirty three and a third". It didn't even make sense as I don't pronounce "th" as "d" and he actually pronounced it as "f", as in: One, two, free.

Then when I responded by being annoyed, I was told that I was "letting out my Irish" and that "you aren't Irish - you've no sense of humour."

I put up with it for a few more weeks and just left - didn't see the point in dealing with him through HR.

Same guy was also giving a French person serious abuse like implying she didn't wash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not really funny and I don't care.

However, to me its interesting that they still use the Irish stereotypes as a way to try and make comedy.
    I suppose 'white privilege' has something to do with it. Would they do the same type of sketch with Mexicans, Blacks or other ethnic groups who are not white? Nope.

I honestly think it's because we don't respond or just have a notion that we have to roll with the punches because it's part of our culture to be mocked.

It's not that we don't notice it, or that we just ignore it as we've a history of big power like the English, the French or even the Italians. It's more that we just are used to being bullied and either disarm it with humour or sort of absorb it. I don't think it's actually a particularly healthy thing from a national / cultural psyche to just accept the role of court jester.

I mean let's face it, we've been the butt of jokes generated from what originates in English establishment vs Irish antiestablishment culture for centuries and it clearly bleeds over into the US as they have that same old anglosphere original cultural bias.

If you dig back through it, the origins are largely sectarian and very much buried in nasty and toxic older incarnations of Anglo-Irish relations. The present day Americans repeating that paddywhackery likely don't really comprehend the origins, but just repeat the kinds of nonsense stereotypes that were in Punch magazine in the 1800s. It's not much different from reciting old racist nursery rhymes that mocked black people. That was culturally and socially acceptable until very recently.

It's just a stupid gag, and a lampooning of a national stereotype, but if you dig a bit, it's just the remnants of a very, very nasty old interethnic conflict that still percolates out in stuff like this long after you'd expect it to be dead and buried.

It's much like any racial bias. It's not as extreme as what skin-colour based racism is now, but it is still racism.

If anything, it's incidents like this and stupid sketches like this that should show Irish people just how insidious and nasty racism and xenophobia is and why Irish people should always be the first ones to call it out when it happens here too.

If you're Irish you do have a feeling for what it's like to be on the wrong side of supremacists and an establishment that doesn't particularly like you. It's something that we've broken down over the last century but it should give us a window into a world experienced by a lot of people who end up on the receiving end of far worse than ill conceived and badly written SNL sketches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It’s a known fact that nobody will ever find SNL as funny as the actors breaking character during the sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I wonder when Trump and Co are inevitably replaced by an era of sensible politics, will SNL just die out as there'll be no easy material and they clearly couldn't write a creative sketch to save their own lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Four leaf clover?! Saints preserve us! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I wonder why they make these sketches so long and linger on a single detail like for instance the incest thing.

I'm not a precious snowflake about this type of thing but it's painfully bad.

They need some lessons from the Brits on this taking the piss out of the Irish business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has SNL ever been funny?

• Advertisement
Advertisement