Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SNL: Kiss me I'm Irish controversy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

It just shows how thick the septics are really.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I thought it was funny. Dragged out far too much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I'm surprised they didn't get a few more jokes in about dogs on aeroplanes. You know that old Aer Lingus thing that we all know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think everything you need to know about SNL can be summed up by the worship Alec Baldwin is getting about his Trump impression. You'd have to agree with Trump himself! It's really not that good. He doesn't get any of the nuance/essence of Trump like a good mimic would. And the voice and facial expressions aren't at the races either.

Strange because Alec Baldwin actually does a decent Al Pacino.

Their Irish skits really reek of outsiders attempting to send up a thing they really know nothing about. It would be like a team of Irish comedians doing a sketch about American white trash/mobile home dwellers. It would be "our" idea on the subject but would probably seem ridiculous to people who actually know and experience it first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

American comedy can be pretty good. Just not this.

There are a few gems in the rough, the operative word being few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Wibbs wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live, an American TV institution that never translated overseas, mostly because it's dreadfully, nay puzzlingly unfunny.

You'd think by now they'd have realised that producing a decent sketch show in a week just isn't possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Dont start getting all offended now ffs.
    One of the things ive always loved about being irish is we can take a ****ing joke.

People attempting irish accents and playing up the irish stereotypes is always good craic. I DO not want Ireland to become another list of **** that people are getting offended about these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dont start getting all offended now ffs.
    One of the things ive always loved about being irish is we can take a ****ing joke.

People attempting irish accents and playing up the irish stereotypes is always good craic. I DO not want Ireland to become another list of **** that people are getting offended about these days.

To be honest your offense and the thought of people getting offended is one of the most 'offended' posts in the whole thread. :p

Hardly anyone seems to care, it was just a sh*te sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ironically, it was an American who said: “He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I thought it was funny. I was wondering why number one was sitting with her hands behind her back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

How did they get away with using the RTE logo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If the exact same skit was on travellers most board readers wouldn't have a problem with it judging from previous threads. It was full of Irish stereo types but as I say there have been much worse here on travellers so I wouldn't have a problem with the show

Ironically, it was an American who said: “He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”

Was no offence intended though? Or, rather did they full intend to offend, but are we just supposed to laugh it off along with the other several hundred years of similar 'humour'?

I suppose SNL probably has a few sketches about mothers-in-law and followed by a few good old fashioned homophobic sketches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

SNL has been on a downward trend for quite a few years now. Trump is right, the current cast are pretty awful.

I generally still watch it, more of of habit, but for every good sketch there's about 5 **** ones - pity because I used to really like it.

This week's episode was actually better than most episodes this season. The Saoirse Ronan one was truly awful in fairness.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Was no offence intended though? Or, rather did they full intend to offend, but are we just supposed to laugh it off along with the other several hundred years of similar 'humour'?

I suppose SNL probably has a few sketches about mothers-in-law and followed by a few good old fashioned homophobic sketches?

Maybe send them an email saying how offensive you found it but I can't think of anything else you could do. My advice would be that if it offends you, then ignore it and don't watch it in future. I don't know about any other sketches, I don't watch the programme.

• Advertisement

Not much point in emailing them. I'm sure they'd just ignore all feedback as why would they care?

At making a complaint in a public forum about it means they're aired somewhere.

Brass necking it I assume.

Skedaddle wrote: »
    Not much point in emailing them. I'm sure they'd just ignore all feedback as why would they care?

At making a complaint in a public forum about it means they're aired somewhere.

Resistance is futile.

By the same token, the Simpsons always portrayed the Irish harshly and stereotypically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Look. What's so offensive about fancying your cousins?

Sure I want to knob Ivanka and am planning to sign an executive order soon to make it ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Mega. It's not remotely offensive, I think Irish people above all else love a good laugh based on stereotypes, but it's just painfully, awkwardly unfunny and the sort of baseline I would've found funny when I was 10.

Yeah, totally agree. It’s unfunny but not offensive. Not being able to laugh at oneself is an awful trait. I’d hate to be that brittle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Resistance is futile.

By the same token, the Simpsons always portrayed the Irish harshly and stereotypically.

I always took The Simpsons stereotypes to be a bit of a piss take on stereotypes, themselves.

Ipso wrote: »
    I always took The Simpsons stereotypes to be a bit of a piss take on stereotypes, themselves.

A double bluff? Possibly. Still doesn't show Irish people in a good light either way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A double bluff? Possibly. Still doesn't show Irish people in a good light either way though.

Yeah, but why should they? I know you could also say, but why would they show Irish people in a bad way but Irish people are fond of laughing at stupid Americans. So is it a case of us being able to give it but not take it?

Yeah, but why should they? I know you could also say, but why would they show Irish people in a bad way but Irish people are fond of laughing at stupid Americans. So is it a case of us being able to give it but not take it?

Possibly. It's probably better that nobody mocks anyone stereotypically but it seems to be human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If the exact same skit was on travellers most board readers wouldn't have a problem with it judging from previous threads. It was full of Irish stereo types but as I say there have been much worse here on travellers so I wouldn't have a problem with the show

On the other hand, outside of here, if the skit has been about travellers on a TV the outrage would have been immense.

?

When do we do that exactly? Link to a sketch.

My only issue with this stuff is that there are plenty of ethnic groups who would get the show closed down were it abou them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That sketch would have had somewhat of a payoff if it turned out everyone was related to him.

But it kinda just ended abruptly. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In true Irish style, never ask for permission, only for forgiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The skit was still better, as shallow satire, than TV3's Blind Date.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In true Irish style, never ask for permission, only for forgiveness.

In true American style: "It's overseas. We don't care. They have television in Ireland? Really?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Its ok . The writers are probably 1/8 Irish so its OK they're laughing at themselves. Like when Chris Rock mocks other black people.

Seriously though, tone is everything. Family guy and Simpsons mocked the Irish in à way that was very self aware. It was over the top and so absurd that you could see there was no malice. Ireland being a futuristic utopia before discovering alcohol, is so ridiculous and unbelievable that it disarms people. It wasn't satire and it played to a safe stereotype.

This SNL sketch uses an actual RTE logo for a start, its trying to portray itself as realistic with that alone and the incest thing is something that is not a stereotype anyone can comfortably roll with. Its not funny either.
    It comes across like they're trying to do a satirical social commentary on the country's problems and thinking incest is one of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Peatys wrote: »
    Rubbish? You haven't spent much time down de cuntre have you?

i-have-no-idea-whats-going-on-gif-5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

not getting offended at this kind of stuff is a quality I'd hate to see us lose. people here have such a chip (crisp?) on their shoulder when it comes to Americans, if it actually WAS on rte you'd just either laugh or say it was crap and that would be that.

snl has always had a lot of irish writers: conan o'brien (past), john mulaney (current)
    and irish cast members as well like eddie murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

SNL lost its balls after they fired Norm MacDonald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

not getting offended at this kind of stuff is a quality I'd hate to see us lose. people here have such a chip (crisp?) on their shoulder when it comes to Americans, if it actually WAS on rte you'd just either laugh or say it was crap and that would be that.

snl has always had a lot of irish writers: conan o'brien (past), john mulaney (current)
    and irish cast members as well like eddie murphy

Eddie Murphy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Eddie Murphy?

His great, great grandfather was a coalman from Cobh,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I found it pretty funny actually. What is everyone getting so offended about? We slag off Americans all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Katgurl wrote: »
    . What is everyone getting so offended about?

We're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Wibbs wrote: »
    Saturday Night Live, an American TV institution that never translated overseas, mostly because it's dreadfully, nay puzzlingly unfunny.

True it is really not very funny but there is this

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x64iyhl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Honestly I watched the sketch and I smirked at a few points but its not exactly gold material. This is a show churned out on a weekly schedule, like sausages. At some point late on Thursday evening, whatever **** is on the whiteboard gets pushed in as filler. Especially on Patty's Day.

Its just the same sort of joke that sustained two entire Borat movies. Nobody got offended then. Well, the Kazakhs did, but they got over it. You don't have to pretend SNL is funny (its like a Ryan Tubridy does comedy special), but its generic, beige, safe humour that wont get them sued by the ACLU, picketed by BLM or aggressively retweeted by slacktivists. Leave them their last remaining safe space.

Katgurl wrote: »
    I found it pretty funny actually. What is everyone getting so offended about? We slag off Americans all the time.

You got a link to an Irish sketch show slaggging off Americans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Brendan Gleeson hosted SNL on Saturday, with support from Colin Farrell. The IT tears shreds off the show. It wasn’t great and sometimes cringey but it was still the funniest Irish TV this year (that’s how low the bar is!)

I guess the IT was primed to dislike it because of SNL’s history of horrible “Oirish” sketches.

Gleeson knows he is better as the straight man, not the comic. His joke about Barney McKenna misfired - why did he say “40 degrees in the shade” when the audience, used to Fahrenheit, would think that was chilly. Did someone on SNL think Barney McKenna went metric? Drinking half-litres, not pints 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I thought it was fun and suited his style.

The Irish Times can't be expected to enjoy it. They are well known as being the guardians of what is hip and cutting edge in Ireland right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Obviously done to promote this new Martin McDonagh film, which will also be teaming with the same old tired yawns about Ireland

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saturday night live is fairly shite in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Americans and their idea of humour.... forget it, or you never will.

Dan.

Another great 20th Century institution that has been completely chewed up and sh*t out the other end by sanitised corporate wokeness.

Written by affirmative action recent graduates who've never really known hardship or dealt with gritty really funny people but instead been cosseted in wealthy schools/universities their entire lives and now find themselves in a writers' room at 23 years old.

This is all just my own imagination of course. Not based on anything concrete. But I suspect my hunches are not too far from the truth.

Advertisement