Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (second hand) irons

Options
  • 19-03-2018 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Paying golf 3 years now with ping g2's. Gone from 18 to 13.6. would love to get to 11 this year and am playing quite well. Was thinking of changing my irons but don't really want to spend months getting used to them . Any one have any similar experience. Would I be better to wait til next winter to change so I have time to get used to them. Also I can't afford a new set so will not be custom fit. Was thinking of ping g30, mizuno jpx ez, it Titleist ap1 or ap2s. All comments welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You've got this far with them so why change? Get to 11 and then see about next year and if you do change then over the winter would probably be the best time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Keano wrote: »
    You've got this far with them so why change? Get to 11 and then see about next year and if you do change then over the winter would probably be the best time.

Yeah probably know that makes sense. But no golf today and nice bright shiny clubs for sale all over Google. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Maybe get new grips for them, I intend on doing that this week and your clubs feel "new" for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I like changing irons every few years. It's like a new lease of life

The G30's are good irons. Slightly longer shaft length and stronger lofts than the G2's. The G25's are excellent irons if you like ping stuff.

AP2 are quite small heads. Less forgiving.

Does it take you long to settle with new irons. Dial in distance I suppose would be the big thing

• Advertisement

have decided to play this season with old clubs. save up and get custom fitted next year. just wondering when fitted do irons come in much above rrp because of shaft changes

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

have decided to play this season with old clubs. save up and get custom fitted next year. just wondering when fitted do irons come in much above rrp because of shaft changes

from what I've read on here & from a few friends they don't come in that much more than RRP (15/20 only in some instances). I've a thread re: 11 handicapper looking at new irons & there was a foregolf thread recently that might help you out.

I've decided to do similar to you & hold tight until after the summer.

GL in reducing your handicap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It may be 0 difference to be honest. You could go in to the fitting & get the best results from one of the stock shafts.

But on other hand it could cost you a fortune if you're looking at some sort of custom shafts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

No is the answer, all irons have a choice of custom fit shafts as part of the price u see.

Have been fitted in foregolf, tour trucks and both mcguirks and halpenny and they all came up with the same shaft options.

Get the lie checked when getting a lesson and if it's ok u will learn to play with the shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

i love the look of the mizuno mp18 but am fearful that i would struggle to hit them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

slingerz wrote: »
    i love the look of the mizuno mp18 but am fearful that i would struggle to hit them!

These are probably the nicest looking irons on the market for me. If only i had a spare 1k lying around the place.
    They do have a cavity back version also but not as nice although still pretty tasty.

I guess you could maybe get a combo set?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

slingerz wrote: »

Hit them and find out.

Advertisement