Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows query

• 19-03-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum but in any case here goes. Moved into a 20 year old house last summer. Windows are same age and from what I can see Munster joinery brown/dark oak double glazed pvc. There are numerous hindges gone and seals are poor all of which I am not too concerned about as I can sort this relatively cheaply. My main question has to do with the glass...(.the seals within the double glazing is definitely gone in some panes and one or two windows have condensation on the inside some mornings) would it be cost effective to replace all the glass with new modern energy efficient glass rather than going for new windows. I know the window sales men will all say that the frames that will remain will still be a week point and heat will drain out but when you compare the surface area of the frame to that of the glass as a percentage surely a high spec energy efficient glass would make a big difference...? Has anyone out there any advice or experience in doing what I’m thinking of.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thermally speaking the 20 year old frames will be the worst part of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BryanF wrote: »
    Thermally speaking the 20 year old frames will be the worst part of the system.

What about the glass and poor seals and fact the glass would be 80% of the surface area

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Read my post again. The frames will have the worst u-value. changing the glass, just moves the due point (cold surface) to the frames.

Advertisement